Funny how a lot of people want gold now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jmarziano, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Jmarziano macrumors member

People bashed the gold 5s, now everyone wants it because of supply constraints. Funny how that will drive up demand for the gold 5s. Good old "want what you can't have".

2. maflynn, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe the bashers opted not for the phone and the others who didn't complain bought them.

Different strokes for different folks

3. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

Newness sells. The most obvious indicator one has a new model is the gold color. We've seen this with white iDevices.

4. runeapple macrumors 6502a

I've wanted it since the rumors :) and order it :) nothing to do with anything else. And I would imagine this applies for most people who bought it. After all it's the only real new color.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Wanted a change, and chose Gold. Looks like I'm going to have to wait an extra week, but I'm looking forward to it...Placed in a Cognac brown case from Stilgut, should show off the home button accent nicely. First non black iphone I've ever owned.

6. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I want to see how it looks in person before I buy a gold one. For now, I ordered the slate. But another phone on my account that is eligible for an upgrade just may be gold. So yeah, I'm interested but skeptical...

7. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

SO glad I ordered mine last night from Verizon... Golds now don't come in to almost November! :eek:

8. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I don't think it's funny at all. I think it's quite annoying that there's more people chasing the limited stock for those of us who stated all along we were buying gold :)

9. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Some people who post on forums bashed the gold.

But really, it's the newest look iphone. That's why most of us chose it. We needed a change. I considered silver but ultimately, it looked pretty similar to my white 4S, so I decided to change it up.

10. gopnick macrumors regular

To me, the white iPhone 4S was the prettiest thing Apple has ever put out.

I ordered a gold iPhone 5s last night. We'll see how I like it. I may get it and immediately wish I'd ordered silver. I discovered over the last year that I really prefer the white front to black. It just looks classier to me. My wife thinks it looks effeminate, and wants me to order a black one. :D

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I definitely wanted the gold, but the white front was a deal breaker for me.

12. JFC macrumors member

Yes people will always want the newest, and yes they will always want what they cannot have. But, I think the huge interest in gold is due to the fact that apple did the color right. It is not a bright yellow/gold, it is very subtle and actually looks awesome. It is not my color of choice, I got the grey, but I would have no problem using one. Personally, I would love to see the gold with black glass inserts and a black screen. Those colors might make it a very tough choice for me.

13. joecartoon22 macrumors member

there have always been a lot of people wanting the gold. the haters and naysayers were just louder hence why you didn't see as many voicing their opinions

14. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

im one of them to be honest. i really disliked the thought of being a "bling blinger". but the gold really looks nice in person. better then pictures can tell.

unfortunatly i got black....gold and silver was not available.

15. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I've never been a fan of "two-tone" color schemes in general, and especially since I'm coming back to the iPhone after a few years stint on the Android side of the fence (tough choice btw, but my gadget-aholic side has led me to this point) going with the iconic silver look is a big enough change for me. :)

16. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

There is no slate option. I think you mean space grey ;)

17. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

Yep, if you don't get Gold how are we supposed to show off that we have the new iPhone??? :p

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

"After the keynote I told everyone gold was ugly." - Yosemite Sam

14_Carrot_Rabbit_screenshot.png

19. takeshi74, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's only funny to those that rely too much on broad, sweeping generalizations. Many liked the gold, many didn't like the gold. It's a new color and it shouldn't be surprising that it's popular. Comments like this really provide no insight at all due to the overgeneralizations. Apple customers and even a small subset of Apple customers such as MacRumors users aren't all a completely homogeneous group despite the assumptions made by such commenters.

If you take a large, diverse group of people then obviously you can find conflicting comments before and after any event since everyone does not share the same opinion on any given topic. Despite the flawed conclusion, it doesn't prove that masses of people suddenly flipped. There were always diverse preferences at play.

You'll have to provide a lot more evidence for that. Demand outstripping supply doesn't prove the demand increased because of lack of supply.

20. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The gold is just straight bad. All I can see is this when looking at it....
    [​IMG]

21. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

So you're saying if that same heap of junk was space grey, you would like it, right ;)

22. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Wanted gold from the moment the rumors surfaced. I've never used an early upgrade to order a phone...the color compelled me that it is the right decision to do (also, the fingerprint sensor. And the 64 bit processor. And the camera..etc.). I think the compelling push to my wanting to upgrade early is the fact I'm using a Verizon iPhone 5 on my AT&T plan, and I've yet to experience LTE on a casual basis. The gold color was the cherry on the top.

23. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Right. I just can't get used to that space gray-grey color option:D

24. noobinator macrumors 601

We are slaves to the free market. It's a psychological thing. I even want a gold one now, even though I know I only want one because it's difficult....

:D

:(

25. AceMason macrumors regular

I bashed pretty hard on the Gold when the leaks sprung up but I bought one because it screams iPhone 5S and not "I may or may not be a year old .. "

Yes, I live for the fame.