Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Further Confirmations, and Safari 85?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider.com posts some NewsBytes which indicate that Safari 1.0 Beta 85 had been briefly sighted, as well as further confirmation that the PowerMac Photo posted on Tuesday is indeed fake. MacRumors had also received multiple reports that this image was not real.

A somewhat more revealing description is offered by Appleinsider regarding case design -- describing the unit with a "aluminum mesh/honeycomb/cheesegrater panel" on the front of the machine instead of the vertical grate depicted in the photo.

Meanwhile, MacRumors can offer some confirmation that Apple will utilize the 'G5' name, as first reported by AppleInsider.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Interesting.... well I'm not sure how good a "cheese grater" panel would look, but I'll take anything we can get at this point. I wonder if we can get v85 on the net yet?

Comment

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Good good good. safari's developers are ramping up because of IE... But I think most of us knew that the pic was fake (after lengthy discussion)

Comment

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
ahh, G5. I can see the advertising now... a new G5 tower sitting on the runway in front of Steve's G5 (Gulftream 5 jet he got as a bonus recently, nicest private jet ever). SLogan should be something like: "Fast, Luxurious, Exclusive... and it even comes with a mouse."

Comment

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I still don't believe it will be called the G5, perhaps just because I like 970 better.

Comment

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
All this pre-WWDC stuff makes me feel like I'm watching breaking news on CNN or something ... Every few minutes I do a quick circuit of the sites that might have something to say ... When something new pops up (especially on MR! :) ), I get all excited and anxious.

My god, what have I become?

Comment

FailedTuring's

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2003
G5

"A somewhat more revealing description is offered by Appleinsider regarding case design -- describing the unit with a "aluminum mesh/honeycomb/cheesegrater panel" on the front of the machine instead of the vertical grate depicted in the photo."

The honeycomb will come pre-loaded with pupa-stage iPods, which will take about two weeks to hatch. Also, it's not a cheesegrater,it's a coffee grinder.

Comment

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by moosecat
All this pre-WWDC stuff makes me feel like I'm watching breaking news on CNN or something ... Every few minutes I do a quick circuit of the sites that might have something to say ... When something new pops up (especially on MR! :) ), I get all excited and anxious.

My god, what have I become?

ADDICTED!

Comment

trog

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2003
Originally posted by moosecat
Heh, yeah its been a pretty fun week for rumors. This site has been great, perhaps I should go click some banners. What I'm wondering now is... when was the last time Arn slept? ;)

Comment

actripxl

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2002
Chicago, IL
Thank God that pic was not the new G5, cause that was the ugliest thing I have seen in a really long time. I switched this past Dec. and am excited about the new chips, but Im just waiting till the PB get the G5 so I can sell of my iBook.

Comment

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
THIS IS IT!

ok, you all. i have the ultimate url to quote *drumroll*:

http://www.g5.com/

i know, it's incredible - the obviousness of it. photos, tech specs, it's all there. all the info on the g5 machines you could possibly want.

and as i understand it, they are shipping! right now!

Comment

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Re: Further Confirmations, and Safari 85?

Originally posted by Macrumors

Meanwhile, MacRumors can offer some confirmation that Apple will utilize the 'G5' name, as first reported by AppleInsider.

Nice way to keep Mac Rumors safe. ;)

And thank goodness that photo thread is dead. It was up to 450 posts the last time I took a look. Plus, that was extremely fugly. My bet is Apple will have a good looking case that half the people here will say is ugly, the other half will like and in two months a quater of the people that didn't like it will like it.

Edited to stay on topic

Comment

pinks

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
[silly thought]: would be interesting if someone designed an integrated dock for the iPod that could occupy one of the spare drive bays in the PowerMac. You know, you plug the ipod in like a memory-stick in a Vaio desktop. Don't know what advantage it would have apart from reducing desk clutter? [/silly thought]

BTW, for private aeronautical luxury - got to be this

-Al

Comment

torv

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2003
Supposed G5 Photo

After having seen the alleged photo of the "new G5", I feel I can say without equivocation that the photo is obviously fake. My reasoning: it's so damn ugly. It looks like some whacked out build-your-own computer you'd buy from some run down mini-mall in LA.

Apple with it's world class design team would never put out such an ugly box. Just look at the flat panel iMac or the iPod, both beautiful designs that are functional and inovative.

Comment

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by pinks
[silly thought]: would be interesting if someone designed an integrated dock for the iPod that could occupy one of the spare drive bays in the PowerMac. You know, you plug the ipod in like a memory-stick in a Vaio desktop. Don't know what advantage it would have apart from reducing desk clutter? [/silly thought]

BTW, for private aeronautical luxury - got to be this

-Al

That's actually a great idea, i was wondering if I could do it for a car deck, like rip out the CD player and make it so you pop an iPod in, instead of like a casette ;-). Unfortunately, I had no idea how to make the buttons on the deck work on the iPod. Oh well.

Comment

pinks

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
Originally posted by bobindashadows
That's actually a great idea, i was wondering if I could do it for a car deck, like rip out the CD player and make it so you pop an iPod in, instead of like a casette ;-). Unfortunately, I had no idea how to make the buttons on the deck work on the iPod. Oh well.

Good call - an Apple branded dock directly connected to your car strero. It could be in the boot [trunk] like the cd-multichangers, but directly controlable from the radio unit (track names, etc.) Mmm.

Sorry, this is off-topic.

Al

Comment

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
I guess I'll be the first to say it. I wish they would have chosen a new naming scheme than G5. I can understand why people will argue for keeping it but a new name would be more appropriate in my opinion.

Comment

jamilecrire

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by Veldek
I still don't believe it will be called the G5, perhaps just because I like 970 better.

The processor will be a 970 the system will be a G5 (assuming the rumors are correct). This is no different than Dell calling their systems by different names (ie., Dell Dimension 8100, etc).

G5 Tower, iMac G5, PowerBook G5, Motorola (Bye-bye).

Comment

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
G5 rocks

I think G5 is the best name for the new machines !

They actually do a good job when staying with the naming.

Its clear and sharp. I like that.

Comment

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Cappy
I guess I'll be the first to say it. I wish they would have chosen a new naming scheme than G5. I can understand why people will argue for keeping it but a new name would be more appropriate in my opinion.
No offense but you're hardly the first one to say it (unless you're just talking about this thread).

That said, as someone pointed out a couple of weeks back, sticking with the Gx naming scheme makes sense from a marketing standpoint because, 1: People are familiar with Gx naming scheme and 2: In some peoples eyes, G5 is one number higher than Intel's P4, so therefore it's better.

Comment

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
Two button mouse and a cheese grater

Originally posted by drastik
ahh, G5. I can see the advertising now... a new G5 tower sitting on the runway in front of Steve's G5 (Gulftream 5 jet he got as a bonus recently, nicest private jet ever). SLogan should be something like: "Fast, Luxurious, Exclusive... and it even comes with a mouse."

... a mouse that loves grated cheese!

When the PM G5/970 appears I bet it will be yet another great example of Apple´s industrial design knowledge and refined taste. Shame on the people who believed the crumbled photo to be the real thing! I for one thought excited PC users had creeped into these sacret chambers.

A cheese grater grille could be quite nice. It´s an intruiging texture and it will prevent people from hitting the computer without thinking twice.

Go Ive! Go!

Comment

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
G5 better than P4

and while we are talking about comparisons:
how long will it take the copy-cats at microsoft to persuade intel to market the next pentium as a p5?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.