Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I discovered in an old post that I cannot open my LCD imac, since doing so would necessitate a reapplication of thermal grease and whatnot... though I guess I COULD do this, I understood that I most definately shouldn't. However... One thing still bugs me.

I like to keep my macs squeeky clean. And Ive noticed a little dust buildup around the fan blades at the top and inside the vents...

What is the BEST (and least invasive) way to clean the dust and gunk out of my imac??? I assume that I shouldnt shoot one of those air dusting cans down there, since that would blow the dust in the wrong direction.

Curious,
David

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
My suggestion would be to get a hobby. If your biggest concern is 'a little dust' your life must be pretty comfy. Taking it apart will void the warranty and if you don't know what you're doing, possibly ruin the unit. If you want to get a vaccum cleaner (or wet/dry vac) and suck the dust out, I'm sure you could - but what's the point? If you're overly concerned about the dust damaging the unit you should rest assured that you pose a greater threat to it in taking it apart. 'A little dust' is taken into consideration during the engineering process. :)

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The more dust you accumulate, the hotter the unit will run, and failure is possible. I'm surprised to hear anyone recommend against disassembling the unit. You should be able to open it without unseating the CPU or anything else requiring thermal grease.

Don't place the unit near the floor. I have opened several PCs where the floppy and CD-ROM drives were completely filled with dust. This is because the fan in a PC blows air out, causing air to be pulled in through the drives. This is crazy -- but Macs seem to be the same way.:(

On commercial gear (such as the Xserve), fans blow into the unit, with an easily cleanable/changable filter on the outside.

Try to keep the dust in your environment down by changing your furnace filter periodically, and, if possible, eliminating carpets, and fabric curtains. Try to avoid using your computer in a room in which you sleep or store clothing. Otherwise, keep an eye on the dust and make sure you clean it before the fan is completely blocked. With reasonable precautions, it will only be necessary every few years.

You might wish to check out one of the 'Mac Technician CDs' on eBay to get specific directions on opening the case.

merge

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2002
Originally posted by cr2sh
If you want to get a vaccum cleaner (or wet/dry vac) and suck the dust out, I'm sure you could - but what's the point?

won't using a vaccum create static? I have always heard.. never use a vaccum... don't suck.... blow...

I would take apart the mac btw... what fun is a computer if you can't be impulsive and take the thing apart

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
The best advice would be to leave it alone and find something better to with your time. Blow on it a little (with your mouth or with a can of CO2) if you're really upset about the dust being there. Computers are made to withstand environments other than a chip fabrication clean room...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
the iMac isn't meant to be disassembled because it's a consumer machine, not a pro one. If you feel the need to open your computer periodically, get a tower. I'd try blowing air in the intake ports, if you're that concerned, otherwise don't worry about it. I usually insist on cleaning out a computer every 4 years or so, when the dust buildup becomes intolerable (dust bunnies inside towers are not uncommon for people who still use oooold PCs)...

pnw

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
Computers are made to withstand environments other than a chip fabrication clean room...

Yeah... how do they get chip fabrication clean rooms dust free? I mean, think about it.... Employing the use of any standard .1 micron air filter would probably risk releasing too many particles form the filter itself! (does that make sense?)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by merge
won't using a vaccum create static? I have always heard.. never use a vaccum... don't suck.... blow...

The casing is designed so that the air to flows thru.. if their is an intake than there is an exhaust... it's possible they are the same vent. Either way, and ignoring any obvious discharges.. static electricity should not be a problem.

I'd like to know if there is a good reason not to use a vaccum.. I can't imagine one.

As for the sucking and blowing argument.. I prefer a little biting. :eek:

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
Be adventurous and do it

May I suggest opening the dome casing and attempt to clean it. Post pictures of the inside on this site. I'm sure a lot of us like to see what it really looks like.

Should you decide to do this an brake the machine, I'll help you start a fund raising drive here for a new one (yes/no?);)

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
cleaning it out is a good idea. I blew my G4's power supply from dust buildup :eek: ...I just sortta missed the really bad spots... oops he he :D

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Be adventurous and do it

Originally posted by Chomolungma
May I suggest opening the dome casing and attempt to clean it. Post pictures of the inside on this site. I'm sure a lot of us like to see what it really looks like.

Should you decide to do this an brake the machine, I'll help you start a fund raising drive here for a new one (yes/no?);)

I'll tell you what... buy me a 17" powerbook as a deposit for all the pictures of the inside of my imac that you could wish for.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
If opening the iMac voids the warentee, which I think it might, you'd be an IDIOT to open it for dust. How about this...

Take it to the local mac store so they can upgrade the ram, then clean it out then. :)

More ram AND less dust!

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
oooo that was a helpful link. So thats how the drives are situated.... neat! I think I'll wait on taking it apart though. I don't have a thermal thingie or the means to buy a new one if I break it.... Though I would like to do this to my imac.....

Attachments

• em43.jpg
    em43.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 209

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
frescies, if you want the "full" instructions on taking the iMac G4 apart (including the stuff on thermal pads/paste) -- PM me a request.

But be warned it's approx a 20MB file right now, unless you want it in a couple/few chunks.

So, can your e-mail account handle it?

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
black iMac

Originally posted by frescies
THanks! My email can't handle it :(... let me see what I can cook up :D

I'll throw in my fair share of $5 should you brake the iMac :D
I like the carbon black color. How did you do it?

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I didnt do it..

Thats not my black imac. I found the picture on a Japanese webpage dedicated to the eMac (and this guy has a SERIOUS crush on his eMac ). The picture is located on a section of the site that compares the size of the eMac to other computers and contains now info on the black imac! I think I might write to him about it. The site is

http://218.223.20.17/em04.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.