Fusion drive isn't half bad (on 3.0Ghz 16GB 2014)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by giggles, Nov 8, 2014.

1. giggles macrumors 6502

Barely noticing any difference with the real SSD (crucial m550) I used on previous mini.

Consider it as a viable option when configuring a custom 2014.

My usage is quite light to be honest, but probably that's true for most mini users. The fast 128gb pcie ssd is probably enough to keep the most frequently accessed data.

Plus if you order a fusion, as a bonus inside the mini you get all the cables, sockets and plastic brackets to use if one day (after warranty expires) you wanna open it and upgrade to bigger drives (apple stick + 2.5").

2. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

3. giggles thread starter macrumors 6502

4. scottsjack macrumors 68000

While I'm still more a fan of the 2012 minis a new i7 for $1399 isn't too bad at all. The version you bought should be about as future-proof as a 2014 mini is going to be giving you lots of performance without going the $2300 route.

5. giggles thread starter macrumors 6502

A Mini is not just future proof, a Mini is for life.

The size, low power requirements and living-room-friendly industrial design make it the perfect recyclable pc.

From HTPC to NAS (or even iSCSI SAN), from retro emulation machine to photo booth or pc for your guests, the sky is the limit for how to re-use an old mini.

And even on the 2014, easy (as in "tamper proof screws are easy compared to glue on the iMac") accessibility to at least one 2.5" standard drive bay.

That's why I'd rather spend 1,399$ on a Mini and not on an iMac. That's why my old 2010 mini with ssd, 16gb ram and internal slot-in bluray, while demoted, is here to stay. (not that easy to leave an old iMac just sitting around)

Taking all of that aside, it's already "old" in terms of performances. It's future proof in the sense that it will be "good enough" (for my needs at least) for a loooong time. Plus all the bells and whistles of tb2, bt4, wifi AC, pcie ssd, compared to 2012.