Fusion Drive update to HS?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by airbusking, Feb 23, 2018.

1. airbusking macrumors member

airbusking

Would like your recommendation to update from Sierra to High Sierra with a Fusion drive (3.5 i5, 24 GB Ram, AMD R9 290X). Thought HS would be good now with .3. Sierra is ok, few beach balls from time to time, was hoping HS would fix that. If you have a Fusion drive, pro's and con's to update. Thanks!

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

I removed fusion and use as two different drives. Works great. APFS is on the SSD drive and my data is on the rotational drive.

Apple does not upgrade fusion macs to APFS.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

I have a Fusion drive iMac (late 2013 27") and have been on High Sierra since the first public beta - so I was among the chosen few with a Fusion that was converted to APFS before being required to roll back to HFS+ (prior to release of the GM). Talk about the value of keeping a good backup! And I'm still here, and still running High Sierra betas. Haven't had to file a bug report since the summer.

4. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Nothing says you can't install HS, the Fusion drive just won't be converted to APFS. Now, whether you WANT to install HS or not, only you can decide.

5. JedNZ macrumors 6502

JedNZ

So can you please confirm whether it's safe to upgrade to HS on my machine.

My boot macOS drive is a Samsung 850 EVO SSD sitting in a PCIe SATA III card. Running 10.12.6.
    My User data is on a Fusion Drive consisting of a Samsung 960 EVO (in a PCIe M.2 adapter) paired with a 2TB spinner (in one of the direct connect bays) - this is for all my User data.

I understand that upgrading to HS will convert my PCIe SSD to APFS - that should work fine.
    But will my Fusion Drive be ruined when I upgrade, or will it just be ignored? Or will the HS upgrade try to convert the FD SSD to APFS and therefore break my FD?

I wish Apple would come out and let us know what it's doings as far as Fusion Drives go.