Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocacoka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I have a late 2013 21.5 iMac and using 1TB Fusion drive option.

I want to swap the HDD to SSD lately and I did some research so I planned to do below

1. Clone everything by Carbon Copy Cloner
2. Remove boot camp.
3. reboot to recovery mode. open terminal, split fusion drive
(Step here: https://www.lifewire.com/split-fusion-drive-apart-2260166)
4. shut down. open the iMac. swap the drive.
5. boot the iMac using USB drive (from step 1, tested) and clone everything back to internal SSD.

I have done all the step to 5. No matter how I boot up my mac, the screen is black. It has the start up sound. mouse and keyboard have light on.

I tried:
Cmd-R
Cmd-opt-R
Cmd-opt-P-R
Opt

I triple check the display connection to make sure they are connected as well.

HELP! Any hint or any alternative step are very welcome. Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you are just getting a black screen only, it sounds like you broke something in there while swapping out the drive.

cocacoka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
If you are just getting a black screen only, it sounds like you broke something in there while swapping out the drive.
Hey. Thanks. I checked all the visible connection again and they are all connected as expected.
Do you think it would help if I swap the old HHD? Or you think it is other hardware failure?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hey. Thanks. I checked all the visible connection again and they are all connected as expected.
Do you think it would help if I swap the old HHD? Or you think it is other hardware failure?
I don't think it would help to put the other drive back. Even if the new drive was bad, you would at least get the grey startup screen. I think you may have broken something.

cocacoka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I don't think it would help to put the other drive back. Even if the new drive was bad, you would at least get the grey startup screen. I think you may have broken something.
so the grey screen with apple is there with or without any disk
seems i hv complete f___ up

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You can try to reset the PRAM. If it's still got a black screen after that, try plug in an external monitor and see if that works. This should isolate where the problem is.

cocacoka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
You can try to reset the PRAM. If it's still got a black screen after that, try plug in an external monitor and see if that works. This should isolate where the problem is.
thanks. I tried reset PRAM. no luck. (it does restart again after a while)
sadly i do not have any thunderbolt VGA/DVI converter and do not have any external mon (iMac and MBA only). I am thinking to borrow.
If external monitor shows up, then we can conclude that it is the display connector that I probably break?

cocacoka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
That's right. If it doesn't work with an external monitor either then it's more likely the whole Logic Board.

I have just used it to split fusion drive so I dont think monitor or logic board is broken. mostly likely is the display connector but it looks alright to be.

Anyway I booked genius bar on Sunday to see why. Thanks all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.