Future Hardware

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
584
0
Minot, North Dakota
Though I couldn't possibly offer a timeline, these are a few rough estimates of updates to Apple's hardware line (eMac and XServe excluded):

iBook
- 700 & 800MHz G3
- 512K L2 Cache
- 133MHz System Bus
- Mobility Radeon 7500
- 14" Display Still Available, But Fazed Out

iMac
- 867 & 1133MHz G4
- 256K L2 Cache
- 133MHz System Bus
- Radeon 9000
- 15" Education Only, Otherwise 17"

or

- 800MHz & 1GHz G4
- 256K L2 Cache
- 133MHz System Bus
- GeForce4MX 64MB
- 15" LCD low-end, 17" top two

PowerBook
- 867 & 1133MHz G4
- 256K L2 Cache
- 133MHz System Bus
- Radeon Mobility 9000

or

- 733 and 933MHz G4
- 256K L2 Cache
- 133MHz System Bus
- Radeon Mobility 9000

PowerMac
- 1GHz - 1.5GHz Dual G4s
- 512K L2 Cache
- 166MHz System Bus
- Radeon 9700 or GeForce4 Ti 4600
 

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
2,554
1
downtown
I understand 800mhz with a 133bus, but not 700....
ad 512 l2 on a new powermac, I would hate to see that... :)
 

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by cr2sh
I understand 800mhz with a 133bus, but not 700....
ad 512 l2 on a new powermac, I would hate to see that... :)
Okay this post made little since. What are you talking about 700? Also 512KB L2 is twice what all the new macs have. You may be thinking of L3 Cache which is 1MB on the Dual Ghz/867 and 2MB on the Dual 1.25.

Also he never referred to 800Mhz with any Powermac. Please be more explanatory with your posts. Short abbreviated sentences do not make since to any one but you.
 

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
677
2
Originally posted by MacBandit


Okay this post made little since. What are you talking about 700? Also 512KB L2 is twice what all the new macs have. You may be thinking of L3 Cache which is 1MB on the Dual Ghz/867 and 2MB on the Dual 1.25.

Also he never referred to 800Mhz with any Powermac. Please be more explanatory with your posts. Short abbreviated sentences do not make since to any one but you.
L2 cache...

Current MPC7445/MPC7455 laptop/desktop CPUs have 256k of on chip L2 cache. The new (yet to be seen) MPC7457 (7447?) CPUs will now have 512k L2 cache on the chip and will be fab'd with a 130um process. As per the MOT PDFs that have since been pulled.

Dave
 

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
2,554
1
downtown
those are two different observations, but you're correct, i was thinking l3.... heh, I had 3midterms this week and the other 22credit hours are backing up behind those. It made sense when I posted it... ;)

the first comment, however, was regarding the ibook with 133fsb g3 operating at 700mhz... we'll get a 733.. but then again, who am I to point out the flaws in others posts?
 

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by cr2sh
those are two different observations, but you're correct, i was thinking l3.... heh, I had 3midterms this week and the other 22credit hours are backing up behind those. It made sense when I posted it... ;)

the first comment, however, was regarding the ibook with 133fsb g3 operating at 700mhz... we'll get a 733.. but then again, who am I to point out the flaws in others posts?
Now that you have explained your post you are absolutely correct. There will never be a 700Mhz G3 on a 133Mhz Bus. The multiplier is all wrong. On the other hand a 800Mhz G3 could work on a 133Mhz bus with a 6x multiplier.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
Originally posted by MacBandit


Now that you have explained your post you are absolutely correct. There will never be a 700Mhz G3 on a 133Mhz Bus. The multiplier is all wrong. On the other hand a 800Mhz G3 could work on a 133Mhz bus with a 6x multiplier.
there are some uncommon multipliers out there, with components/motherboards but i don't think so on the standard 133 mhz bus mac

i hope we can move way past those numbers really soon...like this coming january macworld in san francisco
 

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jefhatfield


there are some uncommon multipliers out there, with components/motherboards but i don't think so on the standard 133 mhz bus mac

i hope we can move way past those numbers really soon...like this coming january macworld in san francisco
I hope so to. Also I have never seen anything but a whole or half multiplier on Apple buses. This doesn't mean one hasn't existed just that with my limited knowledge I am unaware of one.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
Originally posted by MacBandit


I hope so to

i figure since the san francisco giants lost a world series many thought they were going to win, something good has to happen there soon

and i would be in favor of a 1.5 ghz+ powermac, 1 ghz+ imacs/emacs, a powerbook at 1 ghz, and an ibook with a G4 processor in it

and a really economic $499 dollar crt imac to compete with all those five hundred dollar entry level PCs

and

a reduced price in jaguar like $69 us:D