Future iPhones: what counts as "innovation"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amarcus, Aug 28, 2013.

1. amarcus macrumors 6502

I've been wanting to make a thread like this for some time... What features do you think Apple could add to future iPhones that would deserve to be called innovative?

Please keep your suggestions realistic. To start the ball rolling heres my list:

• Haptic touchscreen. Your screen would no longer feel like ordinary glass - you would be able to feel different textures. Think of being able to feel UI controls and what would happen when developers are allowed to experiment.
    • Waterproof coating. Gone are the days of worrying about rain damage, sweat damage when exercising, dropping your phone in the toilet etc. Imagine how much fun it could be to take your phone for some underwater pictures.
    • Light-field camera. Refocusing pictures and changing perspective would be just plain awesome in a phone. I can certainly see why Jobs was so interested in Lytro.
    • Fingerprint sensor. I know this is almost definitely coming! I do think this could be groundbreaking: imagine never needing to type a password again. Provided finger scanning is fast and accurate then I'll be in heaven.

Adam

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

As long as we're talking about textures or something like that and not what haptic feedback currently is.

Had that in 2009 with my Touch Pro and it was one of the first damn things I turned off. Simply annoying to have your freaking phone vibrate in your hand in response to every touch!

This is also one of the first things I turned off with my iPhone(s). Why do I need the phone to vibrate at the same time it's ringing? I can clearly hear that it's ringing. What does vibrating add to the mix except to be annoying.

Everyone is different though so I guess there are some people who are cool with that.

4. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Something has to be done with notifications. The Active Display feature on the new Moto's is killer. I just got a Maxx for my work phone and that feature has quickly become one of my favorites mobile phone features.

5. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Just think about the first time you saw the original iPhone, the first time you touched it. If you're an iPhone fan, you wanted that immediately. Hell, it didn't even have apps at the time. But you still wanted to get it, you wanted to touch it, mess around with it. Also, think about what you had before you had the iPhone (IF you were one of those who got your first iPhone in 2007). I had the Palm Treo 700P. The 1st iPhone replaced 3 things, your phone, your iPod and your PDA (remember those ?).

What a difference between phones. THAT'S innovation. The difference between iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 should be THAT innovative as the difference between that Palm Treo 700p and the 1st iPhone.

6. hagr182 macrumors regular

For one, a better speced phone, I want my next iphone (currently on 4S (that is fast enough for me9 until november 2014) to be blazingly fast. maybe a quad core processor, 2 or 4 gb of ram (by 2014 the galaxy series will sure have this amount, they already have 2 gb).

Also we need more software services, something that makes us go: "wow, I got to sell my phone to get the new one with x feature". Maybe NFC.

7. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I tried googling it but I don't understand why the notifications are special.

8. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

From Phonearena

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Moto...splay-available-for-any-Android-phone_id46527

It's a great feature. Kind of hard to explain but once you use it you wonder why nobody did it before.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I got my first smartphone in May 2009. HTC Touch Pro because Sprint did not have the iPhone then and I wasn't going to AT&T.

I would have gotten the iPhone if Sprint had it then. That said, innovative or not, by May of 2009 the iPhone was still incapable of doing cut and paste and did not have picture mail. Both of those items were old hat by the time I got my Touch Pro and thus I had those from day one.

Yes, Apple and AT&T got those things worked out later that year (or next, I don't recall) but (and while I love Apple) I think innovative in the original iPhone was short on features.

Note too that the iPhone 3GS has a crap camera (no, it has a crap camera, period) compared to my four year old Touch Pro, which also came with a flash. The iPhone didn't get a flash until the iPhone 4.

10. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Sure, the iPhone lacked some things other phones had. You had to jailbreak to get video recording, gps was non existent, etc. BUT, they've corrected everything since, and I really can't think of anything I'd need on my iPhone 5 that I can't do. To me, the last great barrier was LTE/4G. And now I have that. BUT, the iPhone was the FIRST touch screen phone that was worth a damn, everybody copied the iPhone afterwards. I remember people saying about some android phones, "It's just like an iPhone", when in reality, it wasn't. To me, the ONLY phone worth getting besides the iPhone since it came out, was the Galaxy S3 (and now the S4). Everything else sucked. And believe me, I checked, almost switched to the EVO before I found out what a piece of **** it was.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can give you all that. Again, at the time, if Sprint had had the iPhone I would have gotten it. I wanted one. And it would have been my first smartphone so I would never have known the difference as far as what was missing.

And don't get me wrong. I love my iPhone 5. I waited an extra year for Sprint to get it even when they already had the 4 and 4S (which I do not care for). And my waiting was rewarded. Completely blows my old Touch Pro out of the water.

But Apple tends to promote itself and while some stuff is really, really cool and awesome they aren't always the first to do it. While Apple usually does it BETTER, it also usually takes them a while to do it at all.

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Waterresistant is as far as I think phones will go for a while when dealing with liquids. Saying something is waterproof can lead to some liability.

13. bushman4 macrumors 68000

The IPhone and other cellular phones are currently at a period of inactivity. For now most of the large innovations are in. As for flexible screens, NFC etc.these features are still years away. For anyone to think that we will be seeing this soon is Ridiiculous As for other features, as long As battery life doesn't improve we won't see them unfortunately.
    Bottom line: If you don't expect to much you won't be disappointed

14. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Well a flexible screen looks like it may be in the near future. I saw a flex screen demo and it also showed how it could also wrap around to the long edge and display text notifications on the spine.

15. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I'd say it's something that is implemented for the first time, in a manner that is meaningful to the end user. Revolutionary might be a synonym.

The original iPhone seems widely considered to be innovative. The only innovation seemed to be the multitouch screen. Smartphones were here before. The os might qualify but people mostly seem to want that to change now for its own sake and to alleviate their boredom.

I can't anticipate what innovation will look like now. While I would welcome it if it came I'm not sure we need it. I've appreciated the steady progress that's been happening.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603