Futures trader commits suicide over million-dollar loss

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 18, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh man. Is it 1929 all over again? How sad.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1227994,trader-suicide-101808.article

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is the price you pay for gambling with millions of dollars a day. I really can't feel sorry for him.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The only person I feel bad for is the wife. Suicide is such a selfish act most times.

What's sad is this guy valued money more then living life with his wife and family.

jon

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you have ever talked to a stock broker that is how they feel. The money is more important than anything else. These guys are so greedy that everyone else is a peon to them.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Agreed, but at least he didn't take them with him, as we saw last week.

I suspect it's a cultural thing.

6. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

That's a truly ignorant thing to say. That would be like saying all a teacher cares about is educational books, or a framer building houses. I don't know what you do, but you should learn to love it. This guy is not your typical trader... We aren't all suicidal nut cases who obsess on the dollar. We love it, but thats out job! :rolleyes:

R.I.P. TRADER GUY!

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I met some yuppie kids out of college that were so engrossed in the market that all they talked about was the Beatles and how much money they made. You could tell that they were born with a golden spoon in their mouth and they probably never did a hard days worth of work in their lives. Maybe that isn't everyone but that is my experience with them.

8. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I see 0 relevance in that post. I have done a "hard days work". Everyone has a chance, some old some young. Don't hate on others because they started before you.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I've known several traders. They ARE a strange bunch. A lot of them end up alcoholics or dead very young. One trader friend of mine talks very slow due to all the alcohol he's consumed during work hours. Yes- a lot of them are drunk on the floor. The bars are full of them at lunch, pounding shots. It's a really difficult job.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is that supposed to mean? How much hard work is there in inflating numbers to make a fortune? Then complain when it all disappears overnight. I don't feel sorry for anyone that manipulates the market and pisses away everyone else's savings.

The futures markets are a big reason why we are in this mess now.

11. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

2 words.... WARREN BUFFET! :D

Shorting is the big reason. There is a lot of work that goes into making the first million.... You think it just appears?!?! This trader, as I said, is odd. It is DEFINITELY possible to make back his million... he was 40 something. nobody "manipulates" the market. Especially this little millionaire. Don't get it twisted. :rolleyes:

I take that back... there are people that manipulate the market... Not this guy though, and it doesn't happen like you think.

If you wanna be mad at a trader, be mad at a hedge fund manager. They are what's screwed things up the worst, even after short selling!!!

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Is money honestly something worth ending your life over?

How sad.

RIP

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I've had 3 friends I've known over the years that have committed suicide. I am very sorry for the families as I've seen what that does to them.
    As for the person that commits suicide. I've said this on other boards.
    It's the chickens way out and I don't feel for them one bit.

Maybe more of these thieving brokers will do the same. It might fix the stock market.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I feel the same way. Very tragic for the families, but to me suicide (unless there are very extreme conditions where youll die either way and suicide is less painful) is the cowards way out.

My condolences go out to the family and friends affected however.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm going to stop you right there.

I lost my brother and my best friend from high school to suicide. I felt bad for both of them too. They both suffered from severe depression. In the case of my friend, his last attempt was the third. He'd been hospitalized for depression a few times as well. He WAS trying to get better.

I find it extremely ignorant of both of you to make such a broad, cruel statement.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm sorry for your loss Lee but I stand by my view..

I've lost my mother,father,2 brothers and a sister so I know how you feel.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Im srry for your losses lee, I forgot to mention my exception for psychological problems that are obviously beyond control.

My statements go for healthy people who kill themselves over petty things such as money.

Again my condolences, your one of my favorite members here and I honestly didnt mean to offend you.

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Stand by it all you like if it makes you feel better- but not forgiving them and not feeling for them hurts no one but you. Let it go, man.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It doesn't make me feel better at all. It makes me quit sad.

Sorry if I offended you.

Life goes on though. that's the only way I've been able to deal with the loss of most of my family.

Maybe I'm in denial.. I dunno.

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Neither of you guys offended me. I just found your statements overly broad. You both are falling into the trap that a lot people who've experience this fall into- dismissing the feelings of the person who committed suicide. It often feels like they did something to you and not just themselves. Don't hate them for it, and don't dismiss what they experienced either. Sometimes it feels like a coping mechanism, but at some point you need to understand that they did the best they could, and what happened wasn't directed at anyone but themselves.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The definition of psychiatric disease in essence is that it affects one's affective and motivational functioning. Wanting to kill yourself is not normal in a psychiatric sense. The vast majority of people who attempt or complete suicide are suffering from psychiatric disease or psychiatric sequelae of non-psychiatric disease.

I have to go with Lee on this one. A week or two ago, when some kid jumped from a rooftop in Derby and other kids stood on the street, taking pictures of him to put on their blogs and goading him to jump, that was wrong.

This is no less wrong.

Suicide is a tragedy. When it strikes people you don't like, when it strikes people you do like. Can it be an act of selfishness? Yes. But that doesn't give anybody the right to celebrate a life ended unnecessarily.

22. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

What qualifications do you have to make such assertions?

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A guy with a gun, a whacked office doink with a gun, those people I can see goading into shooting themselves.

Especially since they may be unstable enough to take out the office before killing themselves, or letting the police shoot them in order to let the wife and kids have the insurance money.

Though I am extremely glad a lot of these people with the guns flame out, since they can generally do a lot of damage with a slight bit of a drug to even out their thinking and take the edge off.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

My comment about stock brokers was more of an off the wall try at humor. I really don't desire people to commit suicide. I've seen enough death in my lifetime to know it hurts everyone.

Like I said. Maybe it's just my way of dealing with the loss of most of my family. I sincerely didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. Especially yours Lee. Your a good guy and I'm sorry that I opened my big mouth. It's something I tend to do without thinking.

25. Queso macrumors G4