Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
FutureShop.ca -- a subsidiary of Best Buy -- has recently launched an Apple section on their website -- suggesting that previous rumors of increased Apple participation were at least partially correct.

The Apple section carries the eMac, iMac, and iBook lines along with various Apple accessories.

Recent rumors have suggested that Apple's presense will also be increasing in U.S. Best Buy stores.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Also of note (maybe) is that Best Buy's online ordering has been down for a few days and when I checked their site a few minutes ago you can't do anything at all on their site. So maybe BestBuy.com is updating for Apple too?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Good sign - yet there is a definite lack of software. I only hope that this will change soon.

D

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Ratings question

One thing I've never been sure of regarding the ratings, are they:

1. A rating of the likelihood of truth/falsity of the rumor?
or
2. Whether we like the rumor or not?

e.g. #1 would be rating whether we believed the rumor; #2 would be whether, assuming the rumor is true, whether we like it or not.

So, if the story was on PowerBook G5s being available July 2003. I'd rate #2 a positive since I would like it to be true, but #1 a negative, since I doubt there will be one in July 2003.

I haven't seen a description on the web-site ever of which is accurate.

Orome

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2003
Glued to my monitor
BestBuy Online Store...

Hmmmmm... Can't get into the online store. The site gives an error message that too many people are trying to access it. IREALLY hope this is something good and not just some stupid layout redesign...

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Re: Ratings question

Originally posted by centauratlas
One thing I've never been sure of regarding the ratings, are they:

1. A rating of the likelihood of truth/falsity of the rumor?
or
2. Whether we like the rumor or not?

e.g. #1 would be rating whether we believed the rumor; #2 would be whether, assuming the rumor is true, whether we like it or not.

So, if the story was on PowerBook G5s being available July 2003. I'd rate #2 a positive since I would like it to be true, but #1 a negative, since I doubt there will be one in July 2003.

I haven't seen a description on the web-site ever of which is accurate.

Given that anyone can click on the positive/negative links, I'd have to assume that it's the latter -- whether people like the rumor or not.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
YAY!!!! HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!! :D :D

What a great Canada day. I'm glad, because it's difficult to get a Mac in Canada. It really is. Some universities sell them, but that's all. The next step is to open an Apple store.

And about my complaint about going to a Futureshop store earlier in the week and seeing that all the prices models were NOT updated ($1999 for an 800MHz + Combodrive iBook instead of $1850 for a 900MHz + ComboDrive), well forget it. It looks like everything is updated to the model and prices AFTER the last iBook update. Its nice that they're carrying Apple now. But hopefully, the sales people will know a bit about Macs. I don't want Apple to be misrepresented by unknowing salespeople.

canada.gif
-- Canada Day: July 1, 1867

fred

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
Too bad they're still using 50% + exchange rate on US-Can dollar conversion when actual conversion rate is 35%. This is however not FutureShop's fault as Apple charges same exchange on their web site. Apple sux big time in this respect....this is NO WAY to gain market share Apple...shame on you

Also the prices on FS tend to be slightly higher than on Apple's online Canadian store....

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
future shop has been carrying apple products for a while, they just put them online though
i also want to mention how i love how they are charging more then the suggested price for ipods but then they offer price matching at 110%.
also love how the site doesnt work well with safari.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
What do you mean that prices at FS are higher than at the Apple.ca website? The price of the iBooks are matched accurately, but I haven't checked the rest out yet. I just started browsing. :cool:

I wonder if they'll offer the Educational Discount. It'll be a downer if they don't. :(

canada.gif

Docrjm

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by Abstract

What a great Canada day. I'm glad, because it's difficult to get a Mac in Canada. It really is. Some universities sell them, but that's all. The next step is to open an Apple store.

canada.gif

You can also try London Drugs if you live in the West. They have slightly more knowledge cf Futureshop, but usually carry or can readily access the entire product range.:D

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Hopefully

I certainly hope that this extends to US Best Buy retail stores as well. I think that now with the G5, and the beginning of IBM partnership, Apple is in a position to compete.... seriously compete. Should be good, can't wait.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario

Where is your location? I live in London, Ontario and we have two really good Apple resellers here in town, Mac Outpost (my favourite) and Mostly Mac (the place where i bought my iBook).

Secondly, I dont really like the whole futureshop becoming an Apple reseller becuase basically the sales reps at futureflop are generally morons that dont know their dick from an iBook. But by the same token this is good because it willl bring Apple more into the mainstream.

I dont know... Ill just wait and see how it pans out.

fred

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
The only thing that will bringApple into mainstream is mainstream prices....believe me Apple has a long, long way to go in this respect.... Apple claims to be the computer for the rest of us....too bad the rest of us is down to 3% and dwindling at an alarming rate

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
I live in Toronto, near York University, and there is a Mac store near that area. I know of a few places to get a Mac, but when you look at the big picture, are there really a LOT of places to get one? That's what I meant. There aren't too many stores that sell them. I like the fact that Futureshops are everywhere, and so now Apple computers are easily accessible.

I'm also concerned about customer service at Futureshop, but I think this is better than not being able to find them at all. Not everybody would bother purchasing a computer off a website, and not everybody knows where to get a Mac, or would bother trying to find out. But once they see them sitting at a Futureshop, people may consider getting one because now they see a familiar store selling them.

This is a great day.

canada.gif

Docrjm

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by fred
The only thing that will bringApple into mainstream is mainstream prices....believe me Apple has a long, long way to go in this respect.... Apple claims to be the computer for the rest of us....too bad the rest of us is down to 3% and dwindling at an alarming rate

I think that that rate could climb, My 12 yr old daughter living in the uk , 9000km from myself, has asked for an Apple powerbook. She uses wintel at school!
Excellent taste methinks:D

Orome

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2003
Glued to my monitor
Sigh...

Well, I just got into the Best Buy website (finally) and as I feared, it's just a stupid site redesign. No Macs yet, but I wasn't expecting too much anyway...

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
yea, the bestbuy.com redesign was planned for a while....sorry it disappointed you guys. if it helps, to all you best buy haters out there, the ordering system if not the whole website was down for a whilel...i think like half of june. so maybe they lost some business. :)
wow. i really do hate my job.
however, to stay on topic, since i work in merchandising we'd know if macs were coming because we'd be the people to set up the display and stuff. ugh. and i thought having to switch att and cingulars spots was bad....
blech.
--carly

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Yeah, they *sell* Macs ...

... but do they care?

Try browsing the store in Safari (v.85 for me)... none of the product links work!!!!

Lazy-arsed web designers irk me.

I suggest everyone send a "bug report" to Futureshop. Word it as you wish. :mad:

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by Abstract

And about my complaint about going to a Futureshop store earlier in the week and seeing that all the prices models were NOT updated ($1999 for an 800MHz + Combodrive iBook instead of $1850 for a 900MHz + ComboDrive), well forget it. It looks like everything is updated to the model and prices AFTER the last iBook update. Its nice that they're carrying Apple now. But hopefully, the sales people will know a bit about Macs. I don't want Apple to be misrepresented by unknowing salespeople.

canada.gif
Take no offense to this, but the knowing Apple salespeople have not represented Apple well in the last 3 years. Otherwise, sales figures (# units sold) would be up, not down.

Codemonkey - freaking out on these guys the first day the site is up because apple's beta browser doesn't work...? That'll be helpfull, of that I am sure ;)

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Good sign - yet there is a definite lack of software. I only hope that this will change soon.

D
I'm really looking for the software too. Plus, who's going to want to buy a mac when the place they're buying it from doesn't carry any software for it? Where's the convenience?

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Originally posted by yzedf

Codemonkey - freaking out on these guys the first day the site is up because apple's beta browser doesn't work...? That'll be helpfull, of that I am sure ;)

a) a site that sells mac products that I physically can't buy doesn't help anyone

b) if no-one tells them, then how will they know to fix it?

It's kind of like honking at a "student driver" that has just cut you off: if you don't honk, then they'll continue doing it.

c) safari is 1.0. it's about as good as it's going to get, as far as html rendering is concerned. It's not considered a beta anymore.

so no, no breaks should be given.

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
Originally posted by yzedf
Take no offense to this, but the knowing Apple salespeople have not represented Apple well in the last 3 years. Otherwise, sales figures (# units sold) would be up, not down.

Safari 1.0 is out.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Re: Ratings

>Given that anyone can click on the positive/negative links, I'd have to assume that it's the latter -- whether people like the rumor or not.<

It could just as easily be a vote on whether people think the rumor is true since anyone can click it.

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Re: BestBuy Online Store...

Originally posted by Orome
Hmmmmm... Can't get into the online store. The site gives an error message that too many people are trying to access it. IREALLY hope this is something good and not just some stupid layout redesign...

Looks like it is a stupid layout redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.