Fuzzy external monitor output rMB VGA port

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by roguefury, Jun 29, 2015.

1. roguefury macrumors member

roguefury

Howdy,

I've been searching around on this forum, as well as google, for a fix to a problem with my external monitor and new rMB. Some background:

I mostly use the rMB as a standalone device, but from time to time, Would like to plug it into a 24" monitor that I have. This is a Samsung FX2490HD, a monitor that worked exceptionally well with my old Airs. I want to run in dual monitor mode, especially when I'm working on several PowerPoint decks at once.

Using Apple's VGA monitor cable, I've plugged my rMB into the external monitor. The rMB recognizes the native resolution, but everything is fuzzy.

I think this was a problem with the first set of rMBPs as well, but eventually was solved (or someone figured out a hack).

So, two questions:

1. Anyone else having the same issue?
    2. Has anyone figured out a fix?

2. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Maybe this is not helpful, but wouldn't it be better to use HDMI? I have an external monitor; when I connect that to a Windows PC using VGA, it's fuzzy, but it's sharp when connecting through displayport.

3. roguefury thread starter macrumors member

roguefury

Yes, that may work, but one of the reasons I continue to use the VGA port is that the Samsung is a dual monitor-TV - and the TV picture-in-picture only works on the VGA connection. This is one reason I've kept this older monitor; it allows me to put the 'TV' on in a box, while I crank away at work.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

4. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

VGA will always have fuzzy signals. You're essentially converting digital signals.

There's nothing Apple can do, other than recognizing the correct resolution.

Long story short, if you want a fix, get a new monitor that has PIP using HDMI, or at least DVI.

5. roguefury thread starter macrumors member

roguefury

I'll eventually upgrade the monitor. That being said, there was no fuzziness with my old MBA 11", nor with prior MBAs.

6. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you ran auto-adjust (auto focussing) on that monitor? VGA is analog, therefore the monitor typically needs to readjust it's settings for each different device or else the image will be blurry.

7. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Are you using Apple's adapter?

8. roguefury thread starter macrumors member

roguefury

Whoa, I just figured it out! @SmOgER, your tip helped! It turns out that the monitor itself has several adjustments that increase the sharpness significantly.

I can see now!