Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Could Apple release a FW800 Dock for the iPod and have it work with the current models? Or would a new version have to come out first? (Is the limitation the ipod or the dock is what I'm getting at)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
iPod hardware only supports fw400.
and its pointless for apple to release iPods using fw800 because most people with Macs dont have fw800 ports. Most people with PCs, the best they'll have is USB 2.0 (a tad faster than FW400)...
so it'll be sorta wasteful...

so the limitation would be the iPod itself...

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
carletonmusic said:
Could Apple release a FW800 Dock for the iPod and have it work with the current models? Or would a new version have to come out first? (Is the limitation the ipod or the dock is what I'm getting at)

it wouldn't do any good anyway. the hard drive would never be able to take advantage of the higher speed. it would have the connector, which wouldn't work with most computers, and then get probably no speed boost. So whats the point.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
strider42 said:
it wouldn't do any good anyway. the hard drive would never be able to take advantage of the higher speed. it would have the connector, which wouldn't work with most computers, and then get probably no speed boost. So whats the point.

Well they do make FW800-->FW400 adaptors which would solve one problem - but if the iPod couldn't transmit data that fast, it seems like something for the future. Remember when USB1.0 was the standard?? :D

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
carletonmusic said:

Wouldn't need a dock, just a cable with a FW800 jack. Question is whether ipod can read/write quickly enough to take advantage. DUnno on that.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Le Big Mac said:
Wouldn't need a dock, just a cable with a FW800 jack. Question is whether ipod can read/write quickly enough to take advantage. DUnno on that.

I guess that's what I was going for; the option to have current ipods connected through the FW400 dock, or an ipod cable that could utilize FW800. Anyone know if the specs of the ipod would allow for such a speed?

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
The iPod HD is way too slow. The faster a disk spin, the more energy it needs and its reduce the battery life. This is why they use a slow HD, it also cost less and cause less vibration.

Just give it a try, use the iPod as an external HD and you will see how fast (slow) it is...

stoid

macrumors 601
Mantat said:
The iPod HD is way too slow. The faster a disk spin, the more energy it needs and its reduce the battery life. This is why they use a slow HD, it also cost less and cause less vibration.
Not necessarily, some report that a PowerBook with 7200 RPM HD is MORE energy efficient than with a 4200 RPM. Faster access time means less time the battery needs to be used. I don't know if that would hold true with the iPod, but the shock resistance of the slower speed certainly is a great reason to use a slower drive.

I think the better question is:

Do they even make faster drives in that small form factor?? :D

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Mantat said:

Just give it a try, use the iPod as an external HD and you will see how fast (slow) it is...

I just transfered 7GB onto my iPod and it took a very short amount of time with Firewire400.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
carletonmusic said:
I just transfered 7GB onto my iPod and it took a very short amount of time with Firewire400.
but how long did it take. did it even come close to 400 mbps sustained throughput? I doubt it. 400 mbps = 50 megabytes per second. 7 gigabytes at 400 mbps shoudl take about 143 seconds based on my rough calculations. a little over two minutes. I'd be surprised if the iPod came anywhere near that number. hard drives are inherently slow technologies. There's really not much out there that can make use of firewire 800 at this time. Even if its a firewire 800 device, doesn't mean its getting firewire 800 speeds. Just like they sell USB 2 scanners that don't come close to using that much bandwith.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Yeah, some test files got 1GB every minute, others a little slower. So the internal HD on the iPod is the slowpoke, not really the cable. If it weren't hard disk based, would that improve transfer speed??

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
carletonmusic said:
Yeah, some test files got 1GB every minute, others a little slower. So the internal HD on the iPod is the slowpoke, not really the cable. If it weren't hard disk based, would that improve transfer speed??

like I said, all hard drives are slow pokes, except maybe some scsi ones or SATA ones. normal IDE hard drive you find in desktop and laptops won't approach those speeds either on a sustained basis. I think IDE can do something like 60 MB per second max, and most of the time is significantly below that.

If it were something other than hard drive based, it could potentially go faster, but it depends on what interface is used between the storage medium and the cable. I know the iPod mini uses compact flash (as the connector type, not the medium), dunno about the regular iPod. I also dunno if a CF interface is any faster or slower. There's a lot of potential choking points when it comes to transfering information.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
stoid said:
Not necessarily, some report that a PowerBook with 7200 RPM HD is MORE energy efficient than with a 4200 RPM. Faster access time means less time the battery needs to be used. I don't know if that would hold true with the iPod, but the shock resistance of the slower speed certainly is a great reason to use a slower drive.

I think the better question is:

Do they even make faster drives in that small form factor?? :D

My question here would be in regards to how the hard drive is being used. The iPod spins it up and caches data then powers down to save battery. With a 7200rpm drive, I'd guess that it takes more energy to spin it up versus its 4200rpm counterpart.

chuckzee

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Yugoslavia
übergeek said:
Most people with PCs, the best they'll have is USB 2.0 (a tad faster than FW400)...
so it'll be sorta wasteful...

so the limitation would be the iPod itself...

no, in the real world firewire 400 is faster than usb 2.0

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
So does that mean there is little or no speed gain by using one of those new FW800 external drives? How do those compare to FW400 ones?

stoid

macrumors 601
mactastic said:
So does that mean there is little or no speed gain by using one of those new FW800 external drives? How do those compare to FW400 ones?

In tests that I've seen, the FW800 drives only marginally outperform FW400 drives, and not much of a speed difference that you would probably not even notice on everyday usage.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
chuckzee said:
no, in the real world firewire 400 is faster than usb 2.0
prove it. not just based on what you've seen, but like actual studies that prove FW400 is faster than USB. For everyone its goign to be different, so i doubt there is one answer.

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
I have thought about FW 800 iPods, and decided that the only reason to do so is so that the user wouldn't need to take up their only FW 400 port.

übergeek, MacWorld magazine did a test a few months ago that compared hard drives using FW 800, FW 400, USB 2.0, and USB 1.1. FW 800 was extremely fast, FW 400 a bit slower, and USB 2.0 was up there, but not near the speed of FW, and USB 1.1 was understandably trailing. USB may have a higher theoretical speed than FW 400 (480 vs. 400 Mbps), but FW has a much better throughput in actual use.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
übergeek said:
prove it. not just based on what you've seen, but like actual studies that prove FW400 is faster than USB. For everyone its goign to be different, so i doubt there is one answer.

You have no idea what you are talking about do you? USB 2.0 is faster on paper but it has more overhead than Firewire so in reality it is slower than Firewire400. And yes, there is a single answer. FW400 is faster.

From Barefeets:
USB 2.0 is much faster than USB 1.1 but it is much slower than FireWire, at least in the case of the WiebeTech drive I used.

From PCMagizine:
Though USB 2.0 is rated at a higher throughput speed, FireWire delivered faster performance on external hard drives when connected to a desktop.

From TechTV: Despite USB 2.0's 80 Kbps speed advantage over FireWire, our testing showed that the additional overhead of USB 2.0 made it slower than FireWire. For high-bandwidth devices such as external hard drives, the difference was as high as 70 percent.

from usb-ware.com:
Question: Which is faster Hi-Speed USB 2.0 or FireWire? Answer: In sustained throughput FireWire is faster than USB 2.0.

And I've never seen, nor heard of, video editors using or recommending USB 2.0 based HDDs for video work.

Lethal

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
USB technology uses the CPU. That isn't so surprising as Intel plays a role in USB development (and probably why it is common in PeeCees). Firewire has its own chipset. So USB performance takes a bigger hit on slow computers.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
LethalWolfe said:
And I've never seen, nor heard of, video editors using or recommending USB 2.0 based HDDs for video work.

Lethal

There are a ton of reasons behind this, mostly because of the way Firewire transmits data (something Im not going to go indepth about).

But, in any case, Im almost 100% positive that the switch to FW800 would warrant a complete redesign of the dock. Since FW800, I believe, uses 9 pins instead of 6, that would mean the inclusion of 3 more connectors on the dock and the port on the bottom of the iPod. (Correct me if Im wrong on any of this.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.