Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrvo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Was talking to a Apple rep and he said even though the CPU allows 128GB, it’s not officially supported / recommend by Apple due to the additional untested long term stress on the system (of course we know some run 128GB just fine with no extra heat). If anything happens during the warranty period, they will not honor it.

RyanXM

Contributor
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
Was talking to a Apple rep and he said even though the CPU allows 128GB, it’s not officially supported / recommend by Apple due to the additional untested long term stress on the system (of course we know some run 128GB just fine with no extra heat). If anything happens during the warranty period, they will not honor it.

Actually, they have to prove that the 128GB is causing whatever issue you are having in order for it "void" the warranty. And even then, they can simply install test RAM and see if the issue is still present and if it is, it's not the 128GB causing the issue. I've had a 2019 running with 128GB since Day One and it has caused no ill effects. Apple Reps read from a script, plain and simple.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Actually, they have to prove that the 128GB is causing whatever issue you are having in order for it "void" the warranty. And even then, they can simply install test RAM and see if the issue is still present and if it is, it's not the 128GB causing the issue. I've had a 2019 running with 128GB since Day One and it has caused no ill effects. Apple Reps read from a script, plain and simple.

In reality all they need to do is refuse you service. It will be on you to sue.

RyanXM

Contributor
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
In reality all they need to do is refuse you service. It will be on you to sue.

MOST, not all, Geniuses are not going to deny you service. They will simply ask that you return with the factory RAM. If they do refuse you service, they are simply being an ass as the RAM is considered user replaceable as the owner's manual shows you how to do so....

TheSchwa

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2019
Seattle
MOST, not all, Geniuses are not going to deny you service. They will simply ask that you return with the factory RAM. If they do refuse you service, they are simply being an ass as the RAM is considered user replaceable as the owner's manual shows you how to do so....

Even though it's user serviceable, 128GB is considered out of spec. Just like if you put the wrong frequency DIMMs in.

TheSchwa

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2019
Seattle
Having worked at Apple for over 5 years, it does not VOID the warranty. Period. End of story.
I've read too many stories about it voiding the warranty. I'll have to look more into it, because I'm now tempted to perform some surgery.

RyanXM

Contributor
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
I've read too many stories about it voiding the warranty. I'll have to look more into it, because I'm now tempted to perform some surgery.

If whoever helps you tries to tell you that, simply tell them that they cannot void the warranty on something they themselves say you can replace. You are also protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. They have to prove the RAM is causing the issue, which it RARELY is going to be the cause. I've seen an OWC and a Kingston stick go bad in a customer system, but never told them it voided the warranty, as it does not. They went back to OWC and Kingston and got a new stick and I even installed the replacement for them.

The processor supports it, as does the firmware, otherwise you would get RAM beeps upon powering on the system.

Reactions: Salaryman Ryan

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Curious, for those running on 128GB of RAM what's your use case?

I am thinking of getting 2x32GB and also use 2x4GB that came with the iMac Core i9 for a total of 72GB of RAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.