FYI: Apple running out of refurbished first generation iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Apr 3, 2012.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Took one in today with a Genius appointment. It had a broken screen and the battery was about shot.

After many concerns and questions, especially strong toward "Apple doesn't support this hardware anymore". I was able to get a refurbished ordered.

Three week waiting and it's only the 8GB- the most common of the three models offered the first year.

I was also told once Apple runs out of refurbished iPhones that will be it: no support whatsoever (outside of tremendously costly repairs). He told me they were only weeks away from completely running out.

I pass this along in case there is anyone that is procrastinating taking in their busted iPhone for a refurbished replacement.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. DroidRules macrumors 65816

What? You mean a phone that came out 5 years ago isn't really supproted anymore? Crazy!!

Cool of you to put out the word for others. Time to take in that old 1st gen for an oow replacement people!

4. AndroidTriumph macrumors newbie

I have a Motorola Android phone and they stopped supporting the day I bought it. Because support from android manufactures is none existent.

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Ok.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Exactly, err perhaps time to think about treating yourself to a new one? Plenty of refurb 4"s around.

7. fanboy05 macrumors regular

fanboy05

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Wow. Mind for a meme?

#Legacy hardware is legacy. (Doesn't mean still viable)

9. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

It's been a good ride. As another member above pointed out, it's unusual for a company to support their older hardware as long as Apple has and does.

Still kind of sad though, in a way.
    I remember the launch of the iPhone and truly how "magical" is was to unbox and activate with iTunes for the first time.

I personally have two lines, one is the 4S but the other is the original iPhone.
    They're like night and day, but I do still appreciate the build quality of the first iPhone.

Five years? It flew right by.

10. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

I haven't heard this, and I would have by now if it were true.

11. DroidRules macrumors 65816

After I posted above I started to think this very same thing.

I actually liked the first one better than the 3g/3gs but no where near as much as the 4/4s design. AS far as using one NOW after the speed of the 4s.... NOOOOOO thank you. I would rather pull my pubes out one at a time then use that slow turtle of a phone (when compared to 4s). It would be nice to have a "new" in box phone but I sold my originals a long time ago.

12. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

I purchased this one a few days ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260995015238?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1156
    I'm just going to put it away (without activating it) for nostalgia sakes.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Just a response to your signature...the initial reason for people to list their "iDevices"/Apple products in their signature is so when you have a question/problem with your device, you don't have to repeatedly ask what version/type it is.

For example, I posted in the MacBook Pro forums and asked why my MacBook Pro didn't get that Multi-touch update promised in Snow Leopard. Since my signature lets you know what type of Mac I have - the reader simply responded that it isn't supported on '07 Macs. I didn't have to list my specs or whatever.

Contrary to popular belief, it isn't all about 'bragging rights'.

14. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Tot he original poster:

How did you get a refurbished original iPhone from the genius bar? Did it cost money? Certainly the phone isn't still under warranty.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, time to upgrade OP.

16. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I had my first gen iPhone replaced in December.

It was produced in November.

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The replacement phones come with a 90-day warranty, don't they? I wonder what they'd do if your phone develops an issue in the next 90 days and the refurbs are gone. Legally you'd be entitled to a replacement

18. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Give you a 3G. Would be a little bit of an unfair trade though, as you'd have to get a normal data plan.

All that being said, the fact that they didn't get rid of them a year or two ago is amazing. Why is anyone still using one of those POS phones? Anything older than the 3GS is a dinosaur.

Also, they can't put any more out around the NYC area, as AT&T is going to 5mhz of GSM there, which really can't support much activity on EDGE.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

wow, what an idea!!! I'm sure none of us have thought of that, or perhaps, some people own multiple generations of the phone and like having the best phone after the 4 as a backup. It really grinds my gears that people think that just because something is over 3 years old it's suddenly worthless.

20. bryantp93 macrumors newbie

They most likely keep a hundered or so around for situations that arise until the 90 days is up if not they would just replace it with an upgrade and use there abilities to manipulate AT&T into not requiring a 3g data plan.

21. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Probably just keep a few around they can overnight in to where they are needed, and blacklist them from NYC, southwestern CT, and North Jersey.

22. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

No

Your local Apple store may not have any original refurb iPhones behind the counter but they can still order one.

Repair costs (like battery replacement) are not outrageous.

However it will always appear cheaper to get a new carrier subsidized phone then repairing an old one.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted

Still have my original but haven't used it in a long time. The others I sell when I get a new one but that one I'll keep. Now that, friends, was a *real* "revolutionary" device.

24. BiggAW macrumors 68020

The OG iPhone was a POS and still is. The iPhone didn't have a notification system until iOS 5, and that's when it became a capable device. That, and HOW ON EARTH do you put with AT&T's crappy EDGE? I've tried running my 4S on EDGE, and their network is so poor. Nothing loads up, half the time Speedtest won't even run. Oh, and a lot of apps require iOS 4 or 5 now, not 3.1.3.

25. andyx3x macrumors 65816

So wrong here. The first iPhone was revolutionary. Friends of mine played around with it and couldn't believe it. It was a fantastic device.