Carrier FYI for anyone buying outright 5s for AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blerns3, Sep 12, 2013.

1. blerns3 macrumors 6502

I called a local AT&T store and they told me they're only allowing people to buy 1 model (per person) outright for full price on the 20th and that Apple is doing that for their AT&T models in their retail stores as well. I don't know how good of a source it is being a local store but they said they had a meeting this morning where they were told this (but to call back next Wednesday or Thursday because it could change before the 20th). Thought it would be good to pass onto you guys.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I bet most AT&T stores will not want to sell their available iPhones for full price but instead to customers signing a 2 year agreement.
    That's what they do mostly every year but if you get a store that's willing to sell you full price without making you buy a warranty or cases and other accessories then go for it.
    I hate how they try to take advantage of the hype every year and some places try to make it mandatory to sell you bundled up accessories or other unwanted things with your iPhone purchase.

3. blerns3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. I'm personally planning on going to an Apple store because of how uncertain the amount of devices they get are at AT&T stores.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Other years some AT&T stores got like 10-12 iPhones available on release date.
    While apple stores had tons more ready for sale.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you are going to pay full retail, why wouldn't you go for the fully unlocked version sold by Apple? I know you can get the AT&T version unlocked as well if you pay full price--but why go through the extra step?

6. blerns3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Aren't they only selling that model on launch day to T-Mobile customers?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They won't have the unlocked version available probably for another month or so after release day.
    And the full price AT&T model is the same exact thing as the factory unlocked version that would be sold in the US later.

8. Vctr macrumors regular

They do have the T-Mobile unlocked version on release day and I believe it should be compatible with AT&T and Verizon bands ... or so I'm told.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    Not sure if there's any difference between the Tmobile and AT&T version.
    Prob same exact hardware.
    It won't work on verizon or sprint though.
    It's only unlocked for gsm carriers.

10. darster Suspended

Apple clarified their 5s page. There will be 3 1533 models sold in US. The t-mobile/AT&T gsm, the verizon cdma, and the sprint cdma. The gsm version will not have cdma, so it will not work on verizon or sprint.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

11. blerns3 thread starter macrumors 6502

But that means a T-Mobile version would work on AT&T with no problems or restrictions, right?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    As long as its unlocked.

13. eric.john macrumors member

i love to buy one at outright price, but i'll be banking on getting a ghost-line instead as the price for a 32gig is pretty steep.