FYI: Verizon “throttling” plans!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by damant, Sep 17, 2011.

1. damant macrumors 6502

damant

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. Ayman250 macrumors member

Ayman250

They are a greedy filthy company. Their network is slow enough as it is.

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I have no doubt AT&T will follow soon. What suprises me is that 2gb data is in the top 5%. This sucks. I use over 2gb worth of data easily every month. I wonder how slow the data speed would be if you go over. As far as Sprint, I am sure they will entice buyers by offering unlimited and then do the same in a few months.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Not really. I've never seen the 2GB number before. That seems low.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

7. damant thread starter macrumors 6502

damant

Not.
    It was a rumor back then & the official policy went into place on September 15th...

Anyways.
    I find it's interesting & unfair that's they only go after 3G ?! ...iPhone 4.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

They're not talking about the 2GB cap on new users, but rather throttling existing customers who still have an unlimited plan.

9. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

Question

I think it is common knowlwedge that if your service provider changes something material on your contract, you can break it without having to pay the ETF. Is there any way this could qualify?

Sure it is still unlimited data - but the spirit of the offer is different.

Any lawyers here?

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

My apologies, that's what I was thinking. So basically it doesn't matter wether you have a 2gb cap or the unlimited plan, 2GB is your limit. Wonderful.

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea u sure can cancel your contract whenever they change something.

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

From what I've read, the verbiage is in all Verizon contracts from Feb 2011 on, so they are covered that way.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I can't see any tower i use in my town being a high usage one, so I would think not all high gb users will see it?

Anyway, it SOUNDS, in theory, better than the approach ATT has taken, now to see if it plays out that way (I'm NOT a high user, but I have gone over 2gb once in the 3 months I've had the phone).

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    These amounts were big news over a year ago, when ATT announced the end of unlimited data because "98% of customers use less than 2GB a month". Even further back, in 2009, ATT was talking about throttling iPhone users.

As many people predicted, Verizon followed ATT's lead.

It's just one more way that the popularity of the iPhone did NOT change the smartphone world for the better. Another was that, previous to Apple-ATT's forcing of data plans, they were not required. E.g. you could use a smartphone on a voice-only plan with only WiFi for data access, if you wished.

14. Merkie macrumors 68020

2GB is still a lot. In other countries in the world, carriers have gone from offering unlimited internet access to a mere 200MB a month :mad:.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yes, 2GB really is a lot... unless you're watching Netflix all the time.

There are months when I use very little data. Other times I use a lot.

I'd love to see the carriers offer "rollover data minutes".

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, we saw that it was news over a year ago when AT&T announced tiered data plans. We've also seen both companies say that the top 5% of data users will be throttled.

What we have not seen is either company stating that the top 5% is composed of anyone who uses more than 2GB of data per month. That is what I was referring to.

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Verizon: "HURRY come buy the iphone 4 quick and lock in unlimited data before it goes away!!!"

Customer: "OK I won't be able to get the iphone 5 like I want but at least I have unlimited data"

Verizon: "Yeeeaaah about that... By "unlimited" data we meant limited data with 2 months of throttling if you go over 2gb. But thanks for wasting your upgrade early on an iphone 4, we really appreciate it!"

18. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I understand throttling your speed for the rest of of the billing cycle but why 2 months??!!!!. Am i missing something?. So basically, having unlimited with Verizon is a total scam!. You are better off getting a tiered plan so you can keep using fast speeds than suffer with very slow speeds for 2 months. I think it's their way of telling you "unlimited data is over"

19. damant thread starter macrumors 6502

damant

Full of shhhht... Verizon!
    Now we'll see what att gonna do ?!
    I don't consider myself an "excessive" data hog ...: I browse the net and stream musics at most a couple hrs a day; yet I data report runs about 2.6 gigs at time monthly.
    What does it mean you ask?
    I doubt that I'm in that 5% !!! more like 20-30% group.
    And with 4g or lte around the corner... 2gigs would be flying by real fast ...especially with multimedia going "hi def" and all...

Bottom line : " bait and switch"
    "Unlimited" my a--
    good lucks to all of us.

20. ihonda macrumors 68000

throttling does not VOID the contract you signed.. i already tried it with at&t and they insist they are still providing unlimited internet to me just @ a slower speed since they dont promise any speeds... there has to be a way to get out of this. im gonna check into it when i hear if the new iphone is LTE, if so vzw here i come.

----------

they arent doing it to the LTE/4G, only 3g if you bothered to read.

21. PacificBeach macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like I am going vzw LTE , looks like LTE vzw android customers are not affected.

22. ap3604 macrumors 68000

They just completely killed grandfathered unlimited plans, killing off unlimited 4g LTE is just as easy...

Give it time, LTE throttling will come soon enough ;)

23. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

But it really only sounds like you will hit this if you are on a "congested tower". On THOSE towers, yes they will throttle you, but if you happen on another one it won't be restricted.

This obviously doesn't help you if say, the tower by your work is always congested - but I could see some of the people that I've read about using tons while commuting being restricted in some places, but not others.

If they are going to do it this seems as "fair" as a blasted wireless company can make it.

Although, I disagree with doing it for the two months, and I don't LIKE it at all.

24. damant thread starter macrumors 6502

damant

+ 1!

Common people.... "Read" between the lines!
    You don't think LTE is gonna get throttled soon ?
    At LTE speed, 2gigs ? Lol
    Some people are so naive ...;-)

25. ataboc macrumors 6502