FYI: You can still buy the old AppleCare instead of AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goodcow, Apr 13, 2013.

1. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Brought my iPhone to the Genius Bar last night for an in warranty (first year) replacement. After that, I asked if I could purchase standard AppleCare, instead of AppleCare+, because I'm just not a clumsy person and haven't dropped my phone in five years now. The Genius looked confused and told me that didn't exist anymore.

Gave AppleCare a call directly just now (800-275-2273) and purchased it over the phone for $69 plus tax.

So for those of you who aren't clumsy and still want a warranty between years one and two, this is an option you may not be aware of.

04/13/2013 Pending APL*APPLE ONLINE STORE $75.12

2. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

i couldn't find any info on the site regarding the original Applecare, so what's the difference? service, pricing?

3. SCIONTX, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

SCIONTX macrumors regular

AppleCare+ includes accidental damage replacement. You can get a replacement phone for $49. You're limited to two incidents. AppleCare+ is $99 and available for iPhone and iPad, not iPod Touch. It also includes the benefits of AppleCare (see below). Only available within 30 days of device purchase.

AppleCare is $69 for iPhone, $79 for iPad, and is simply 2 years of phone support and 2 years hardware coverage (from time of device purchase). You can add AppleCare anytime before the 1 year warranty is up.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Just so you know, there should be no tax on AppleCare because it is considered an insurance service because it is an extended warranty. Apple Online Store charges sales tax, but in reality they should not. I got into an argument with the Online Store when I was purchasing AppleCare for my iMac. It should have been only $169, but they were charging $13+ in tax. Needless to say, I went to the local retail store and they refunded me the tax portion that I shouldn't of had to pay to begin with.

5. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

cool, thanks for answering my question. So $30 bucks extra to cover accidental damages? IMHO, that's a really good deal! Glad I added it!

6. goodcow thread starter macrumors 6502a

$80, because your first accident has a $50 deductible. If you aren't accident prone, saving the $30 is worth it and it still covers a battery replacement which you'll probably need by the end of year two anyway.

----------

Interesting. This could also be state dependent. Anyone else want to chime in regarding this? I'm not a lawyer or accountant.

7. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

still, $80 for a new phone isn't exactly a bad deal considering iP5 is fairly stable and does pretty much everything i need it to do perfectly. :)

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK, so maybe you aren't clumsy. But you do realize that original Applecare does not cover liquid damage right?

Applecare+ covers liquid damage. I can think of lots of ways an iPhone can be damaged by liquid that doesn't include clumsiness.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You don'y have to be "accident prone" to have an accident...

1 an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury:
    2 an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause:
    3 Philosophy (in Aristotelian thought) a property of a thing that is not essential to its nature.

;) :D

10. goodcow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. I've never had an accident with my iPhone and honestly the real reason I got AppleCare to begin with was for the battery replacement since I tether and destroyed the first battery within six months.

But it all boils down to math and your risk level.

$69 for non-accident hardware replacement
    $148 for AppleCare+ with the first deductible
    $199 for out-of-warranty replacement (current gen. model)

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

IDK. I paid $99 for Applecare+ when I bought my iPhone 5. Well worth having two incidents of coverage for accidents for an additional $30 to me. Liquid damage coverage included. I've been careful, but as mentioned by the other poster - accidents can happen that aren't attributable to clumsiness, or even forgetfullness.

Original Applecare works for you and that's great though.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If in dropping $70 on an additional year of warranty, I feel like another $30 on top of that is more worth it than bit to cover accidental damages. Just my opinion, of course.

One thing many don't know is that if you buy your phone with certain credit cards, such as an Amex, you get the same deal through the credit card company. Pony up the $$$ for the replacement phone, send the company the necessary receipts, and they credit you back the cost of the replacement (which should be around $200 depending on the model)

----------

iPhone 4 is $150
    iPhone 4s is $200
    iPhone 5 is $229

Out of warranty prices. Just an FYI for you, and others who may be calculating the potential costs.

13. as0016 macrumors regular

This analysis leaves you saving a little to potentially lose a lot. If you were telling me you weren't going to buy any applecare that'd be one thing. But:

69 for applecare vs. 99 applecare+

no accidents - savings 30

one accident

69 + 229 (298) vs. 99 + 50 (149) = applecare+ saves you 149 dollars

So you're saving 30 to potentially spend 149 more...all it takes is one unforeseen event in that entire two years. It's a bit of a gamble for a 30 dollar savings.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Which is why AppleCare is basically a huge gamble.
    Doesn't it make more sense to not buy either, then if it does go wrong/breaks (low likelihood IMO) you pay the $199 OOW replacement. Sure, that's about $100 more than with AC+, but then again if the phone is fine you save the $100 AC+ would cost.

15. goodcow thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're correct - the reason I bought regular AppleCare was mostly for the battery replacement. At the end of two years the battery is going to be shot and $69 is cheaper than $79 for the regular battery replacement, plus it'll cover non-accidental hardware failure between years one and two as well.