G-4 MabBook with bad screen, can I remove it to go to monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fer2u, Mar 2, 2009.

1. fer2u macrumors newbie

i have a MacBook G-4 (968-?-), with512, but the screen has been half torn.
    Can I remove it and use only a flat screen , and sort of make the G-4 a 'slim desktop'?
    Can the G-4 run without the original screen?

I will appreciate your input.

I was thinking about placing it on a sliding drawer under the desk, where a flat screen would show the Mac's works., the drawer stays under the desk with the G-4.
    It looks very neat, and clean...sort of unusual but nice.

I just want to take the scren off because a hinge broke, where the cables feed the screen, and one wire was cut (can't solder ).

Thanks.
    :cool:

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You should be able to hook up an external monitor via mini-vga-->VGA. You'll be firmware limited to 1024x768 output though without a firmware hack (google will pull it up, i don't remember the site at the moment)

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Come again?

4. California macrumors 68040

California

5. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

As far as I know, the MacBook didn't come in PPC G4. It changed to Intel simultaneously when they went from iBook to MacBook.

So, you have an iBook - and as for the question, you will certainly be able to use an external monitor. However, without the use of your primary laptop screen, I don't know how only using the secondary monitor will work. Your dock and Task Bar are both on your primary laptop screen.

Think of it like property in acres. All you are doing with an external monitor is adding on space, and not replacing what you have - the hot tub and pool are staying put so to speak. You may not have a dock and Task Bar without some research - as far as I know.

6. fer2u thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a G-4 PowerBook, indeed

Guys, I don't mean to lead you astray with the specs... the fact is that it is a PowerBook G-4, max 1GB RAM, now running with 512; the heart of the matter is that the screen nearly sheared the cable to the cover -screen-, and I have it now hooked up to a monitor, 17", and I want to know if I can just remove the PB's screen altogether and "make me" a slim desktop out of it.

Thank you all for your inputs,

Fernando

7. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Ah, ok. when you put it that way, I don't see a major issue with that. As long as you go and electrical tape off the ends of wires and stray holes left from the removal, I suppose it would keep on living life fine.

As I try, I can't think of any negative consequences. Keyboard, Trackpad, and Computer all in 1 unit is just how I'd like to see a variation on a Mac Mini. Use it in your bedroom with your 17inch monitor, then unplug and take the unit downstairs for use on your 32inch television, all while keeping those 3 components in 1 little device.

If you get it done, and you're all set with it, I'd like to see some pics. Albeit probably done before, I really think that's a clever concept you have. I've always liked that idea. Good luck should you go for it. :)

8. fer2u thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be taking pictures

I don't want to just cut the wires, as there is a chance of short-circuiting even if the battery is removed (PRAM battery).
    I was planning on opening the PowerBook and actually disconnecting the cable that goes to the screen, and see how it looks without the hinges.

Since the hinges are on the back of the gizmo, I don't think it will be a visual blemish; all other connectors are also located on back.
    The idea of placing it on a shelf-drawer is that the rear will basically be out of sight.
    Some velcro will be handy in keeping the Book in place.

You will see what I mean in the pictures. In the meantime, think of a keyboard drawer, except deeper, to acomodate the Book, and still have room in front to rest the palms. The drawer can be pushed in under the desk's surface.
    The cables to the monitor come from the back of the desk.
    Pretty neat, isn't it?

It may take me a while to disassemble the PowerBook to strip the screen cable, and reassemble it back. But I will show you at the end what it looks like.

Best regards.