G-Drive Mini 1 TB - How to lift File Transfer Limitations When Formatted in MS-DOS ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Inframan, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

Gentleman,

I just received my new G-Drive Mini Hard Drive, Its a new External hard drive that was released by G-Technologies last month in a 1 Terabyte version with a 7200 RPM, 32 Byte Cache and Fire Wire.

Here's my Dilemma...

I formatted the Hard Drive to MS-DOS (FAT) or in other words formatted the drive so it can read & write both with a Mac OS and with PC OS (Window's). I did this format in my Mac Pro's Disc Utility.

Unfortunately there appears to be a Limitation on the size of the file's I can transfer (from what I gather the limit is 4GB)

And I can also only transfer so many gigs at once too..(Not the main problem but annoying)

I have a Movie Collection of about 600GB that im trying to transfer onto this drive for when I'm traveling to watch movies in my Hotel. Every-time I come to "The Avengers' File which is 6GB (Because its a Blu Ray 1080P File) it stops me and wont let me move the file over.

Is there anything I can do to lift this limitation and still be able to use this drive both with Mac & PC? Can I maybe format the file and if formatting the file is the solution then how would I go about doing that on my Mac (Software OS X 10.8.2) ?

- Thanks

2. Inframan thread starter macrumors 6502

Inframan

Anyone ? :confused:

I don't mean to be a pain but today's my only day off to Organize these movie's. I was hoping for this issue to be resolved. Thanks again for trying to help.

Jon

3. gr8gatzby macrumors member

I was reminded of this 4gb ceiling today as well.

You can zip your archive into multiple 3.99GB segments. But this will only be good for backup only, since the files aren't useable within the compressed format.

You could 1) reformat your disk to HFS+, 2) install MacDrive on your windows box, 3) use the mac formated external on both machines with no file size limitations.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

exFAT is an option that would raise the file size limit and have native read/write capabilities in both Mac OS X and Windows 7 or later.

5. Inframan thread starter macrumors 6502

Inframan

exFAT did the trick. Thank You !!