G.Skill FM-25S2S-256GBT1 256 GB SSD - Did I get a good deal or ripped off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ttran88, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ttran88 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

So I have a mid 2009 13" MBP 2.26 GHZ and been looking for a 256 GB / decently priced SSD to increase the speed of my laptop.

I ran into the G.skill FM-25S2S-256GBT1 256 GB MLC. My question is 275$ shipped brand new a good deal?:confused: thanks for your time

Here are the specs:

Brand G.SKILL
    Series TITAN Series
    Model FM-25S2S-256GBT1
    Device Type Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Architecture MLC
    Expansion / Connectivity
    Form Factor 2.5"
    Capacity 256GB
    Interface Type SATA II
    Performance
    Max Shock Resistance 1500G
    Max Vibration Resistance 20G
    Sequential Access - Read 200MB/sec
    Sequential Access - Write 160MB/sec
    MTBF 1,500,000 hours

2. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

I would say thats a great deal. I still haven't seen an 26GB SSD for less than $500 shipped and that model you snagged has decent reviews as well.

3. ttran88 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your quick input. i'm more at ease now :) i hope it doesnt die on me, a couple of the reviews i saw, the person said the hard drive failed on them after 30 days...

4. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

That's not just a good deal, I'd call it an excellent deal. I'm in pain trying to find an Intel 160GB SSD here in Germany for less than EUR. 400 (= $540) !

Just make sure its not a refurb or something similar because it sounds awfully like that. No one would want to sell you an SSD for sooo less.

5. ttran88 thread starter macrumors regular

The listing said its brand new in box so I dont think its refurbed. I think he didnt know how much these cost or just an ebayer trying to sell something quick.

I was shocked about the price too so i reread the listing a few times. I also had to make a decision quick because I knew this would not be up for long. Also, I knew it wasn't a scam since he had 86 positive feedback.

6. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Okay, good luck. Be careful on the return policy, private sellers usually don't let you return what you buy. Also ask for an invoice that will cover your warranty.

Storage disks are very volatile when it comes to defects. And we live in a deceptive world. A seller can only be very clever or very stupid to sell a 256GB SSD for less than 300. I just hope its the second one for you :)

7. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Thats a rather good deal esp since it's new. Given that it is not the newest in terms of technology, it still works well.

I actually had one that I sold off a few months ago for almost twice what you are going to pay.

8. ttran88 thread starter macrumors regular

Was it the same brand/model/size? If it was the same brand/model, How did it run? Why'd you sell it? Did it get slower over time(so i've read for all ssds)?

9. ttran88 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh since you brought up the warranty, to verify that I'm within the 2 year warranty (just incase something does fail), I give the manufacturer my eBay invoice? or how does that work? How does the manufacturer know that I just got it and that it was brand new when I got it?

10. ttran88 thread starter macrumors regular

11. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

lol let us know how it is once you install it though. yeah you got a sweet deal mate, and don't worry about a few people saying they died, you need to realize people tyically only voice their opinions when something bad happens to the hardware, otherwise G.Skill's forum would be full of thank you threads :D

I'm on my third set of G.Skills (gaming PC) and they have always been great to me. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

12. ttran88 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey bobby,

Even though I got a sweet deal I decided to get a Crucial SSD and sell the G.skill one. The G.skill titan does not have any firmware updates regarding to trim or performance degradation. And its theoretically proven that without trimming it will slow down in time. I got the crucial SSD for a sweet deal also so I didn't pay that much extra for the better one. Lets say I kept the G.skill one and it did die, I'm down 300 and I'd have to purchase a Crucial one on top of that. Might as well fork up an extra 180 and get a better/quicker one with firmware updates!