G.SKILL Titan 128GB in Unibody MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loccie, Aug 7, 2009.

1. loccie macrumors newbie

loccie

Hi -

I have one 128GB Apple SSD installed in my UB MBP17" and have used MCETech kit to add the second 128GB SSD (G.Skill Titan). Does anybody know how I can make MacOS X Installer see the second drive. If I book MacOS X installed on the first drive, then I can see the second drive, but I want to set these drives in RAID0 configuration so I need the installer to see them both. Thanks in advance for any help. I know that if I put Titan in external USB enclosures then Mac OS X installer will see it, but I don't know if I will be able to then create new RAID0 array (with one internal and one external drive), install the OS on it, and then just put the Titan back inside. Has anyone done this before?

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I am surprised the installer doesn't see both. So you are saying in Disk Utility on the install DVD, only the primary drive shows up?

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i believe this has happened to many and the workaround was to install osx in the enclosure and put it in the mac to boot off it.

hope this helps

4. loccie thread starter macrumors newbie

loccie

Correct. Only the primary Apple SSD shows up in the Disk Utility. If I boot off the first Apple SSD into Mac OS X, then the second G.Skill SSD in MCETech OptiBay shows up as a separate disk just fine.

5. loccie thread starter macrumors newbie

loccie

If I do that, and manage to convince the Disk Utility to create RAID0 volume with one internal and one external drive, and then install Mac OS X on it, and then put this drive back inside, do you know if the system will be able to boot?

6. Tweak3D macrumors regular

you really shoudln't be using two different brands of any type of drive and specs to do any type of raid, thats a really bad idea and I can tell you from personal experience that it will result in an unstable array and greatly increase the chance of failure.

7. loccie thread starter macrumors newbie

loccie

Looks like Apple fixed this problem in Snow Leopard. I can access second SSD installed in MCETech Optibay internal enclosure just fine during installation. I've created RAID0 volume from two SSDs and it installed just fine.