G-Technology Mini or G-Drive...Same Speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nowstime, Mar 20, 2011.

1. nowstime macrumors regular

Hi!

I'm expecting my new MacBook Pro CTO tomorrow and in need of an external drive to backup and transfer files...and get the new baby ready~

I plan to get a G-Tech drive and wondering which one to get.

Debating between the 500GB G-drive Mini (7200rpm - 2.5 form factor 800FW, 2.0 USB) or 1TB G-drive (7200rpm - 3.5 form factor with e-sata, 800FW, 2.0 USB).

the 500GB Mini is $139 and and 1TB G-Drive is $153.

When using both drives, since they are both 7200rpm will they produce same speedy when connected via 800 FW?

Any other brand I should consider before I take the jump? I love the way G-tech drives look...feels just like a MacBook Pro...and I like the 3 year warranty...they are a bit overpriced but they look nice...

Any input will be appreciated...

2. mac jones, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

I'm not really informed, but I also looked at these (especially the 2.5")
    I decided against the 2.5 Firewire 800, going on user reviews at Amazon. A lot of people complained about sketchy Firewire 800 connections (most likely issues caused by self powered use) where it would all of a sudden disconnect in the middle of a long transfer, or corrupt data somehow. Go look yourself. Amazon is great this way.

But I have to admit, no other drives have that snazzy, Apple designer look. (they look really sharp)

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I have the 2TB g-drive. it has no problems maxing a FW 800 port (77Mbyte/sec)
    when hooking it up via eSata i get consistent speeds of 120MByte/sec peaking at 140MByte/sec

4. nowstime thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a such thing as E-Sata to Thunderbolt adapter? If so 1TB 3.5 would be a better choice...

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

will be soon enough i'm sure.
    i just have an esata expresscard

6. Inside_line macrumors regular

I have both, generally speaking, 3.5" drives are faster than 2.5" drives. This goes for the aforementioned g-drives as well.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

I believe that G-Tech is owned by Hitachi (could be wrong), thus would most likely use either TravelStars or DeskStars and would think the speed would be about the same...?

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have the g-tech quad w/ a WD black 2TB (one of the fastest drives platter based drives available). I also have the G-tech G-Raid Mini (2x 500Gb Drives).

The single drive 2.5" won't saturate the FW800 bus. The 3.5" will saturate the bus (hence why eSATA is viable).

Either way if Firewire is your max bus speed then it really comes down to portability vs the option of having eSATA (which isn't really viable unless you have the 17"). I wouldn't hold my breath on an eSATA -> Thunderbolt adapter; the price along (out the gate) would probably negate any benefits.

9. axu539 macrumors 6502a

How sure are you of this? I was under the impression that if both drives had the same spin speed, platter density would determine the overall speed of the drive. Hence, the 2.5" drives should have a leg up on the 3.5" drives. No?