G.W. Bush - could he survive another major terrorist attack politically?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Sep 9, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

My own thoughts are that the only thing Bush has got going for him is the absence of a major terrorist attack since 9/11.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, I think it would be the worst thing that could happen to him as far as public opinion. What's the only thing he can trot out theses days? That there hasn't been another major terrorist attack. That's all the guy has left that he can honestly talk about, and even that is tenuous. If he loses that, you'll see that other third of Americans who still think he's a great guy come over to our side.

On the other hand, he could use such an event to cancel the election. Either way, we would be the big losers.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think he'd gain, big time. Are we forgetting the rally-round effect after 9/11?

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I have to agree.

I just watched a documentary on Giuliani, and before 9/11 his career was virtually over. Then 9/11 happens, and he is an instant "hero".

It is amazing how politicians benefit from terrorist attacks...

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Sadly, I think GW Bush would gain tremendously. The way he and his "allies" spin disaster to their favour is astonishing (in a bad way).

In fact, the US Congress might even be cowed into voting him President for life… :eek:

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Of course this is Constitutionally impossible, but the only way I can see the 2008 election not being a complete disaster for the Republicans is another major terrorist attack in the U.S. between now and next November.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Bush Heaven:
    A large and undeniable terrorist attack that is stopped with minimal, albeit tragic, loss of life among US service/police members and no civilian casualties.

Conspiracy theorists, have at it.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm not so sure. I think it would really depend on the circumstances. I also think he doesn't pull the same weight he did back then, or at the very least, most Americans recognize the emperor truly is naked. I doubt the spin masters would have as much impact now that they did then.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

His performance after 9/11 was hardly inspiring, and yet. I think all you need to have is the title on your office door to become popular after the nation is attacked. He doesn't need to show much leadership to get some credit.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You can bet your bottom dollar that there are more Republicans than just David Addington actively praying for just such an assist from the terrorists.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was watching a political science professor at the Cleveland City Club talking about the very same thing this morning, and while he agreed with your evaluation in the short run, he said the fall-off of support would be much, much quicker and steeper than it was the first time. I tend to agree. Rally-round-the-flag patriotism would, once the disaster was over, quickly give way to disenchantment with the Republicans and a frenzy of blame-placing.

Which is probably not strictly fair, but my attitude about that at this point is "____ 'em."

13. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I think he'd gain from another attack. He'd declare a state of emergency, then the entire government would be under his power (the executive branch). :eek: God help us all!

14. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I would immediately lay the complete blame onto Bush; if a president can't do the bare minimum, which is protecting us from harm, what good is he?

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Bad JuJu is coming down, friends. I can feel it.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, we thought the Bin Laden video that hit right before the '04 election would hurt him, but it wound up helping. This time I don't think it would work as well though. Look at what happened after Katrina. If he screws things up like FEMA did that, especially with the aftermath, it won't help him. Especially considering how unpopular he is right now, mostly thanks to Iraq. It would prove him wrong to most of us who already know Iraq isn't making us safer. I'm sure there will still be a small percentage who will believe it's proof we need to stay in Iraq, but they already believe that.

The rest of us are still wondering where Bin Laden is and why we haven't caught him.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Especially since Bush promised the American people six years ago that he would.

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Pretty much what I'd think...

The initial shock and fear would have people rallying behind those most wanting to keep up our military approach in the Middle East. However after a short time people would quickly realize that we've been told for years that we're fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here, and that it isn't true...

The biggest benefit would be between a year from now and Nov 2008. Too much longer could cause an even bigger collapse in GOP support.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not surprising, considering that at least some of the CIA analysts who watched it at the time concluded that bin Laden's intent was to help Bush get reelected, since that furthered the goals of al Qaeda.

20. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Bush has been quick to point out that there haven't been any terror attacks inside the US since 9/11 despite a few attempts. His administration has taken credit for the lack of attacks. I would think it only fair that if there were successful attacks, then his administration is morally obligated to admit failure and the american population would hopefully call him on that.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

But right after that he said he wasn't that concerned with him. Didn't get much press for some reason. The current crop of GOP contenders have said as much as well. That he isn't that important. Still doesn't get play. :rolleyes:

You'd think people would have realized that, but no.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Wasn't that during the 2004 election, or shortly before?

23. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

My question to the OP is what does GW have to survive politically for? Even bad ex-presidents have it made. I don't think Laura has any political aspirations that would be hurt if GW was viewed even worse so I don't really think GW has much care about his political standing. The GOP might be hurt if he drops even more in popularity, but most of them will probably just distance themselves from him to try to get elected. I don't think that another terrorist attack will be reason for impeachment so I imagine that he would stay in office until January 09 and then retire to his ranch.

24. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The worst case would be ANY Major U.S. attack spun to blame Iran.

Not only would Cheney be doing the Snoopy dance, but our Democratic
    Majority Congress would be forced to re-instate the draft.

All would be blamed on the Democratic Congress and all their calls to reduce
    military deployments in the Middle East.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually it was during a press conference on March 13th of 2002. There's a Youtube video of it somewhere. We were still caught up in the post 9/11 mele, and the MSM didn't seem to notice. Wasn't really mentioned again until Micheal Moore mentioned it in his movie (still didn't raise much of a stir) then again when Kerry mentioned it during the debate. Bush said he didn't say it, and again, the media pretty much let it go.

Still don't hear about it much for some reason, and Bin Laden has been pretty much forgotten, even with the recent video. Even by the scare mongers. Don't know if that's because using him to spook us doesn't work as well as it once did, or if it's because it makes people think we've been so focused on Iraq that Bush has all but let him go.