Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
the g3 powered powerbook, introduced in november, 1997, had a 250 mhz g3, 160 MB RAM limit, and a 50 mhz bus

now, we have a g3 powered ibook, at 700 mhz, 640 MB RAM linit, and it runs on a 100 mhz bus

five years for apple laptops running the g3 chip...nice for the g3's bragging rights in laptops, but isn't it about time ibook moved to g4?

to put five years into context, mac desktops were beige and pcs had pentium laptops running windows 95

on mobile g3's fifth birthday in november, i am sure the current representative, the ibook, will still be plodding along with a g3 processor

check out http://www.apple-history.com in the gallery section for the year 1997

ArtMan617

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2002
Princeton, NJ
I really hope that Apple will have enough sense to update the iBooks to a G4 processor soon...they could be incredible...drool...

-ArtMan617

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
if they DID put a g4 processor in the ibook (which wont happen tho), itdd probably be 500-600 mhz (concidering the powerbook is only 667 mhz and 800 mhz)...

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by SilvorX
if they DID put a g4 processor in the ibook (which wont happen tho), itdd probably be 500-600 mhz (concidering the powerbook is only 667 mhz and 800 mhz)...

i would buy a 500 mhz g4 ibook over the current 600 mhz g3 ibook any day

better yet, put the 667 and 800 g4s in ibook and make the tibooks 1 ghz g4s...by christmas...i think it's possible

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I Still use a PowerBook 1400 (603e)!!! Thats about 7 years old!!! It still is going strong.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
My trusty Wallstreet G3 266 just got me through another presentation today! I don't trust the office PC notebooks when connecting to borrowed projectors - too many unpredictable problems. I am looking to upgrade to an iMac soon, but my PowerBook will be around as long as it still works.

On a similar note, I regret to inform all of you that my Compaq Contura Aero 486SX-25 died last month of severe hard drive failure. Pitstop (as he was known to friends & networks) worked very hard throughout his lifetime specializing in term papers and thesis data collection. After retirement, Pitstop spent his time relaxing doing journals and occasional games of Civilization. His last words were "Werrrrrr, click. Werrrrrr, click." Aero will be buried in my closet until a decision can be made for organ donations or possible resurrection. Pitstop was 7 years, 8 months old. He was preceeded in death by TI-99/4a, and survived by Wallstreet (G3 266), NEC (P-155), Zenith Z-105 (8088 Luggable), and his little cousin Handspring Visor. Another relative, Commodore 128, was given up for adoption.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by ejb190
My trusty Wallstreet G3 266 just got me through another presentation today! I don't trust the office PC notebooks when connecting to borrowed projectors - too many unpredictable problems. I am looking to upgrade to an iMac soon, but my PowerBook will be around as long as it still works.

On a similar note, I regret to inform all of you that my Compaq Contura Aero 486SX-25 died last month of severe hard drive failure. Pitstop (as he was known to friends & networks) worked very hard throughout his lifetime specializing in term papers and thesis data collection. After retirement, Pitstop spent his time relaxing doing journals and occasional games of Civilization. His last words were "Werrrrrr, click. Werrrrrr, click." Aero will be buried in my closet until a decision can be made for organ donations or possible resurrection. Pitstop was 7 years, 8 months old. He was preceeded in death by TI-99/4a, and survived by Wallstreet (G3 266), NEC (P-155), Zenith Z-105 (8088 Luggable), and his little cousin Handspring Visor. Another relative, Commodore 128, was given up for adoption.

big time longevity for this field:D

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa

what

the

hellll??????

lol. whoa some people are obsessed.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa

what

the

hellll??????

lol. whoa some people are obsessed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.