Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I honestly feel the G3 is going to have a longer life than many people are estimating...

but great job for them finally getting some faster G3 upgrade cards!!

Sonnet's a great company....I've used their upgrade cards in the past and they work very well....maybe I can get them to upgrade some of the "speed challenged" (politically correct don't u think?!) G3s here...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
"Speed Challeneged"? That is the MOST DISCRIMINATORY thing I've ever heard!! It's not fair to label the G3 processor like that! Just because its number isn't as high as the new one makes it inferior? I'm going to start a joint suit on behalf of my Rev B. iMac!!

[/sarcasm]

:D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
he he he.....I can sense the sarcasm there...

I was referring to the systems here specifically, not the G3 as a whole....

a 266 & a 333....not exactly "fast".....but I know what u mean...nobody said it was inferior... ;)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
;) I debated whether to include the "[/sarcasm]" bit in there, but after all this cr@p about lawsuits and all I wanted to cover all the bases! You know something's wrong when you have to worry about someone around here taking it seriously... *cough*gocyrus*cough*... :D

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
wow! do these things work?!

i've got two old 7200's just laying around and i'd love to try out the crescendo card and upgrade them to g4's...give the computers to some friends of mine who can't afford to buy computers...

i'd love to know if anybody has done this in the past...

jv

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I upgraded a Starmax 3000/160.....had a 603 processor running at 160 mhz....slow as hell....

bought a Sonnet Crescendo 350 mhz G3 upgrade card for it.....1 MB cache....talk about an improvement!!!

the only setback it had for me was when I loaded OS 9 on it...the Finder kept crashing....but it ran like a dream with 8.1...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.