G4 or G5-not sure which would suit needs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PieMac, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. PieMac macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2002
    I am going to be upgrading from my iBook to either the G4 or the G5. I want to invest enought money in my purchase to cover my needs for at least the next 2 or 3 years but I also don't want to break the bank.

    I will be doing some web design, home video editing and DVD burning, photoshop and the usual stuff...surfing the net, e-mail, music, multitasking, etc.

    I was gearing for the 17" Powerbook but then I realized that for about the same price I could get a G4 or G5 with the 20" cinema display.

    I was thinking between the low end G5 and one of the G4 models, but I'm not sure which G4 model would most adequately suit my needs.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated!
  2. nospleen macrumors 68020


    Dec 8, 2002
    I think the dual 1.25 would more than fit your needs. You can get one for around 1500 brand new, and you can add a super drive for around 160. If you can wait a couple weeks, I would wait to see the real world tests on the G5. If the G5 1.6 is faster than the dual 1.25, I would spend the extra cash on the G5.
  3. MacUser1 macrumors 6502


    Aug 23, 2001

    personally, i would try to purchase the higest end mac that i could afford without breaking the bank. that way, through the years your G5 will still have a lot of life left, especially compared to a G4
  4. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2002
    Re: G5

    That's just it...I can't help but feel like I would be moving backward if I went with the G4 now that the G5's are out.
    I'm also wondering if the prices will drop on the G4's once the G5's start shipping.
  5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

    Daveman Deluxe

    Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    I propose my patented test:

    Go to the computer store and find the G4 setup you would buy. Then find the G5 setup you would buy (or a picture of it). Then set a pile of five $100 bills next to the G4 and buy whichever calls out to you.

    In your position, I would personally buy a G5 1.6. In either case, consider getting Final Cut Express--I think it's only $99 right now.
  6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603


    Feb 2, 2002
    Assuming you'll never want to do anything else, or more intensive, than what you do now, and you never want to sell it to recover some money, and you're not worried about how long it will continue to be supported by Apple, by all means go G4. If you'd like something that has a long lifespan ahead of it, will be able to handle new tasks with ease, and will maintain high resale value, go G5.

    The architecture difference between generations of chips here makes the lowest G5 loads better than the highest G4... at least to me...

  7. PieMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Oct 3, 2002
    Good points and I am leaning more and more towards the G5...which leads to another decision...the 1.6 or the 1.8...*sigh* Never ends, does it?!
  8. kenkooler macrumors regular

    Jan 2, 2002
    Mexico City
    I would go with the 1.8, it has twice the hd (80 vs 160gb) and twice the ram (256 vs 512) and much faster pci-x slots for expansion (133mhz vs 33 mhz).

Share This Page