Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James.Paul

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Northallerton, England
New Power Mac G4 systems to be unveiled tomorrow with speeds up to 1.25GHz
August 12 - 16:33 EDT__Apple will unveil new Power Mac G4 systems tomorrow, MacMinute has learned. Sources inform us that three configurations will be offered: dual-867MHz (US$1,699), dual-1GHz ($2,499), and dual-1.25GHz ($3,299). The dual-1GHz and dual-1.25GHz models will feature ATI Radeon 9000 series graphics cards; additional system-specific details are not available. The dual-867MHz configuration is slated to ship by the end of the week, while the new dual-1GHz model will ship towards the end of the month. Availability of the high-end dual-1.25GHz model is being pegged at sometime in September. Current Power Mac G4 systems will be reduced in price as follows: 800MHz ($1,299), 933MHz ($1,499) and dual-1GHz ($2,199). Additionally, Apple will introduce a SuperDrive-equipped eMac for $1,499, sources say, and will reduce the price of CD-RW and Combo Drive iMacs by $100 to $1,299 and $1,499, respectively.

elcuco

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2002
It was worth the wait!!!! If it's true, guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow. The price drop on the "old" dual 1gz looks sweet too.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
If those specs are true then I can see a 1ghz or 933mhz in my future!
Excellent.. this new machines include ddr ram??

Spike Spiegel

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Massachusetts
satisfied

while i might have expected a bit more speed on the mid range, the fact that it's new and improved 1GHz does sweeten the deal. that and the fact that i might actually get it before too long

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
these seem resonable specs but i wouldnt be suprised if we see at least a 1.3 - 1.4ghz processor!

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by xelterran
these seem resonable specs but i wouldnt be suprised if we see at least a 1.3 - 1.4ghz processor!

same here but i'm hoping for 1.4 quads...well theres nothing wrong with a bit of apple erotica

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
WOULD YOU STOP IT WITH THE QUAD WISHES...IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN SO GIVE IT UP

hey i can dream if i want and who say it's not gonna happen, doesn't OS X support upto 32 processors, isn't apple now the largest high-end 3D graphics software company, so what’s wrong with apple matching their software with their hardware and guess what 4 processors and higher are the norm in render farms clusters. Think before you speak

Anon

macrumors member
May 23, 2002
Dual 1.25s would be about 15% slower than the Dual 1.4 some were expecting. The faster bus speed will be a nice improvement.

The price of the dual 867's looks pretty tempting.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Apple to debut dual-processor 1.25GHz Macs

Macnn.com reports this too:

Apple tomorrow is expected to introduce new Power Macs as well as new eMac model. he new Power Macs are expected to be available in dual processor configurations of 867MHz, 1GHz, and 1.25GHz for $1,699, $2,499, and $3,299, respectively. The two higher-end Power Macs will reportedly ship with ATI's new Radeon 9000 graphics card, replacing the nVidia GeForce4x cards previously used in those Power Mac configurations. Sources also indicate that Apple will also introduce a new eMac with a SuperDrive for $1,499

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
low end

I wonder if the low end will have an L3 cache and if the ddr memory will be limited like the Xserve, if so an older dual 800 will beat this new one and give you a superdrive to boot.
However Dual 867 Powermacs- this is still a bargain!!! coming from Apple who still sells ibooks with no pc card slot(there goes upgrades}, no dual independant monitor support (xlr8yourmac reported a hack to do this}, and get this, "a cdrom drive on a notebook in 2002 for $1499". come on apple give dual monitor support to all your over $1000 computers, its already there (software lockout}, just limit it to 1000*700 or so at the consumer end, and add a pc card slot to all imacsFP, emacs, ibooks, so people can upgrade to firewire2,usb2,scsi320MB,etc. as they become available.

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Re: low end

Originally posted by daveg5
...just limit it to 1000*700 or so at the consumer end, and add a pc card slot to all imacsFP, emacs, ibooks, so people can upgrade to firewire2,usb2,scsi320MB,etc. as they become available.

the whole idea of the imac is for it not to be upgradeable which is one of the biggest difference between apples consumer and pro. you need to upgrade your mac, by a powermac

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
I disagree

Maybe for the original imac, however people cried for firwire (they wanted to do movies), vga out (in case the screen dies), more usb ports (2 was not enough.

And now I hear a lot of people asking for dual independant monitor support for use with video, photo, and music editing. Or having mutiple applications open simutaniously, which is the way must of us work and OSX just works better with 2 monitors.
I think this is the single biggest reason other than price that the Imac sells dropped.
People do not want to be stuck with one 15" screen for the life of the product.
The 17" Imac will never have this problem but even there the option of having another screen even at 1028*768 for multi tasking and editing would be welcome and as isaid its alreadythere just locked out.

Dont get me wrong 1024*768 looks great on the new Imac, but I doubt any Imac owner would not love to have the ability to add another cinema display
to it.
Nieither would Emac or Ibook users and it can be limited like 1028*768 as to not interfere with with the higher resolutions of the pro line.

The PcCard slots may be a stretch, but when just about every other notebook in the world has em' I cant see this feature stealing any of the tibooks sales
as it would be used mainly for camera cards and interface updates like firewire2 and usb2 and would make the Ibooks an even better buy.

If this feature was added to the Imac and Emac it would instantly make them a safer and better buy as in the short future many will want usb2 and firewire2 on thier 6 month old purchase and I cant see it competeing with the Powermacs 4 pci slots.
These are just sugestions on simple things that will cost apple either next to nothing or nothing and make thier product a better more intruiging and safer buy.

chills

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Does anyone know the actual model number of the processor in the new Dual 1gig or 1.25? Is processor running at an actual bus speed of 167?

Regards,

Chills

ericb88

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
From what i heard all 3 of the procesors are 7455s, and teh bus speed should effectively be 333mhz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.