G4's with GeForce4 Ti

barvow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
30
0
Fort Worth, TX
I just got an email from Apple about my order for a G4 with GeForce4 Ti. It thanked me for being patient about waiting for it and said that due to the lack of Ti cards as of yet, Apple was offering to ship the computer with a 4MX card, and send the Ti card, when available, at no extra cost and that I could keep both cards!

Reponse is required by next Tuesday.

This obviously will allow them to get paid for computers that are just sitting there, and that goes on the 2nd quarter revenues, and they take the hit on the difference in the video card prices later.

I'm doing it!
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
When the Ti card comes, will you be keeping the mx as a spare or selling it??? It would be very interesting to see how one rates next to the other...

I am also assuming that BOTH will be AGP, so only one will be in use at a time.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
wow, you are lucky. definitely take the deal. Two cards, and they both allow multiple monitors. You could hook up 4 displays to the machine.
:D
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by dukestreet
wow, you are lucky. definitely take the deal. Two cards, and they both allow multiple monitors. You could hook up 4 displays to the machine.
:D
Are you on drugs??? Has Apple released a G4 QuickSilver 2002 with TWO AGP slots??? The answer is NO!.... Geeze people... put down the ganja and open up a window. :rolleyes:
 

barvow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
30
0
Fort Worth, TX
I'm going to have enough trouble just buying ONE Apple Studio Display to connect to the computer, much less 2 or 4. For now I'll make do with the 17" CRT I have. I will enjoy testing the differences between the two cards eventually. :D
 

pishnaris

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2002
20
0
West Virginia
G4 with the nVidia TI card

I received the same notice. The options they offered were to take the card they've got, and they'll ship the TI card when they get it, or cancel the order. I'm not in a hurry to choose either of the options...I think Apple is up against the wall on this one. They have a policy of upgrading your order if the machine you ordered isn't available when they upgrade, e.g., you get a G5 instead of a G4 if they haven't shipped your order by say, MWNY, or at least the next iteration of the current cpu. I don't think they're really trying to do the customer any favors. I think they're covering there own interests on this.

My guess is that nVidia is going to delay the TI card for a few months; maybe until after MWNY. I'm just going to sit and wait to see what happens. The order is in, the price is locked, but not paid until shipped. I called and asked if I could exercise a third option, just waiting...I was told I could.
 

barvow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
30
0
Fort Worth, TX
Well, Apple Store is showing that my G4 just shipped in the last couple of hours. And although I originally ordered it with ground shipping, the tracking shows it was shipped by air. Now we'll see how many weeks/months it will be until they send the GeForce 4 Ti. :p
 

barvow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
30
0
Fort Worth, TX
:D I got my G4 early this morning, less than 20 hours after it showed "shipped" on the Apple website. Not bad, since I had chosen ground shipping, and Apple sent it overnight delivery to Texas.