Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I just got a G5 1.6 today and the hard disk is LOUD, like CRUNCHY NOISY driving me up the WALL loud. I guess I was spoiled by my old 1Ghz MDD - I never heard the drive in it.

Is anyone elses G5 making a lot of noise? (HD only, the fans et al are nice and quiet.) :)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
On my dual 2, the HD is definetly audible. However...i haven't been driven up any walls. Maybe i'm just not as sensitive??

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
5300cs said:
I just got a G5 1.6 today and the hard disk is LOUD, like CRUNCHY NOISY driving me up the WALL loud. I guess I was spoiled by my old 1Ghz MDD - I never heard the drive in it.

Is anyone elses G5 making a lot of noise? (HD only, the fans et al are nice and quiet.) :)

If it is CRUNCHING sounds it's a good bet that the HD is bad...I had a similar problem last year with a MDD but it was after a few months, Applecare replaced it...

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Yes, i have a 1.8 single and it makes th crunching noise also! It isn't the hard drive it is the power supply or something. Never the less your hard drive is not failing, don't worry.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Sorry, it wasn't really 'crunching'; that was the only adjective I could come up with at the time (2am.)
I only have 256 RAM right now, so that's probably why the drive is working overtime :rolleyes:
Definitely louder than my old G4 though :( but the fans are really quiet :)

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Are you sure it's not the fans making the clicking noise? I never heard of the term "cruching" used on HD noise before, but when it's clicking or scratching, then you have a problem. Get ready to RMA that HD. Can you run disk warrior to check the HD's status? A number of HD companies have their own version of disk utility to confirm the health status of the HD, but only for PC and in DOS.

letterbox

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
I notice this too. It is the sound a hard drive makes when the computer is accessing information. It startled me at first, but now it doesn't bother me. I would agree the computer is quiet, but maybe not "whisper" quiet as claimed.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I've had a few HDs go bad on me in the past and I know what they sound like. This one isn't failing at all, it's just LOUD. It reminds me of the 340meg drive I had in my old 486 back in the day. Are 7200rpm drives this loud always?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.