G5 1.6 GHz, or New 15" PowerBook (wait)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MetallicPenguin, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

    Mar 4, 2003
    NC, USA
    I'm really not sure which to get, I could get:

    1.6 Ghz G5
    512MB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

    Final Cut Express Promotion Bundle
    .Mac Promotional Bundle
    17" Monitor

    (With Educational Discount) For: $2,802.95


    15" PowerBook
    512MB RAM

    .Mac Promotional Bundle
    Final Cut Express Promotional Bundle
    Airport Base Station

    For around: $2,885.95 (Educational prices could rise)

    I'm leaning more towards the PowerMac, because it would be faster, plus it looks like it would cost a little less, and I could always sell it when the PowerBook G5's come out, as I'm a little skeptical with the new PowerBooks coming because everyone's disappointed.
  2. Veldek macrumors 68000


    Mar 29, 2003
    First, noone really knows about the new PowerBooks, though there is some info about the new Moto chip that isn't really promising.

    Answering your question, it's all about if you need the mobility and what you do with your computer, I would say.

    Personally, I don't think the G5 1.6GHz is a good deal. I went for the 1.8GHz as it offers a lot more for almost the same money (just try it out by putting the same RAM and HD in it). A lot of people will tell you that even the 1.8GHz isn't good and that you should always go for the Dual 2GHz. Well, though they're right in the great performance gain with only 25% higher cost, I think only professionals really need the raw power of this thing and I'm not (and I'm assuming you're not, too).
  3. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 4, 2003
    NC, USA
    Yeah you're right I don't need that much power, but it would be fun anyway, the 1.6 is more than twice the power of my machine that I have now, plus Panther, and the more RAM, and just the fact it's a G5 will be plenty for me.

    Even though the 200MHz from the 1.8 would be nice, I'd rather spend that extra money on an iPod and some accessories or a new desk I'm planning on getting that will match the computer. So, I guess I'm going with the 1.6 G5.

  4. codycartoon macrumors regular

    Sep 13, 2002
    what desk are you looking at...i am looking for a desk to

  5. Freg3000 macrumors 68000


    Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    I think people who say the 1.6 GHz G5 is a bad deal are just silly. While it is definitely the worst value of the three models when comparing the amount of power you are getting for your buck, it is not a bad deal. Worst doesn't mean bad, it just means good when compared to really good and excellent.

    I mean, what is wrong with the 1.6 GHz G5? Only 4 GB of RAM?!?! No PCI-X?!?!? Are you kidding me?


    People who are looking at that machine (ie. people who don't really a lot of power but want it anyway, like a super prosumer) won't need those things. The 1.6 GHz G5 is fine for a lot of people, and shouldn't be dismissed immediately.

    It may not be for everyone, but that does not mean it is for no one. :)
  6. Golem macrumors 6502

    Jun 2, 2003
    Well I am in much the same boat.

    A little back story, In February I started thinking about a new computer to replace my older tower getting on to 2 years old . By april I had the money and had made the decision that for the first time a pbook would be good enough in terms of Power and useful for the month or so a year I am on the road. The 15'' because 12'' does not have dvi and adaptor+12''=15'' price. Not the 17'' because of price and size.

    I figured it shouldnt be long till the new model came out.... Oh well.

    I am in Australia so I figure we wont see the g5 till september anyway so what I have come down to is if their is a new Pbook by September 20th I will buy it otherwise I will "settle":) for a g5. If their are new monitors I might even update my 17'' lcd.
    I also like the 1.6ghz model. Sure the dual 2Ghz is twice as fast for only a 50% premium here in price but the reality is the 1.6 is allready twice as fast as my current tower anyway. I can take that 50% I save and buy a new replacement in 2 years from now instead of 3 years.
  7. morgan-e macrumors member

    Jul 13, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    if you're into waiting, i would wait for a revb G5 (which is what i'm doing). if you have need/want for any sort of mobility, and think the powermac's handles provide this in anyway, you're fooling yourself and should go for the powerbook :)
  8. Vlade macrumors 6502a


    Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    I love apple and all, but I wouldn't buy there monitors. They are probably top of the line, but expensive! You can get another brand LCD for much cheaper.
  9. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

    Jul 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Get the G5 if you're going to be doing video work or photoshop stuff

    otherwise, if your primary uses are internet and word processing, then go with the Laptop

Share This Page