Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
I just got a new G5 Dual 2.0

I have a production to do and I went to teh Apple Store and got an standar G5 to be return it in 2 weeks because I am using a 12" PB to work in After Effects and Final Cut Pro.

My first impression:

The only speed I see is when opening windows and folders but taht is it. I just made a render in a FCP file I had and there was not such incredible speed as everybody claim this things have, maybe 25% faster than my 1GHz PB.

I am going to keep testing but everything is way overrated to me... as usual.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
how much ram do you have in there? remember that makes all the difference, not that i have a G5

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Try setting the speed of the PM to "maximum" instead of "automatic" under system preferences. That should greatly improve the speed.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
????

I hope your future tests prove otherwise!

IMHO my upgrade from a Dual 1.25 GHz G4 to a Dual 1.8 GHz G5 (both with Radeon 9800 Pro, both with 1.5 GB RAM) was more than 25%. The only real benchmarks I have are gaming benchmarks (many are found over at Barefeats).
Have you got enough RAM in your G5?

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
RAM?

That seems really unlikely. I have a 1.25GHz powerbook and does CPU related tasks about 20% faster than my old 1GHz powerbook. Could it be that you just don't have enough ram? 512MB of RAM doing heavy stuff like what you are doing is just not enough, the computer would be swapping like crazy.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hmm. Since you bought it with the intent of returning it, why didn't you get the dual-2.5? And I suppose your thought is that the two-week (10 day actually, right) "rental" was worth $250? The dual-2.0 is faster than your PB. Faster disk, faster bus, faster processors. I'd be amazed if the true difference is only 25%. Still, isn't that worth your $250? An additional 2.5 days worth of processing - or, since you can use both systems, an additional 12.5 days of PB level processing - for the money?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Why did you get it? You seem to be saying that you have some special project and that's the only reason you're using it and also why you're not keeping it. It would seem that morals are overrated big time, as well.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
IF it has 256 mb (and your powerbook has 768mb or 1280 mb), i can understand why.
But especially rendering should be atleast 2-3x faster.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
bousozoku said:
Why did you get it? You seem to be saying that you have some special project and that's the only reason you're using it and also why you're not keeping it. It would seem that morals are overrated big time, as well.

you're forgetting - 80% of MR members don't quite know what that word even means, and calls you mean names when you bring it up in a sentance. one of my sigs used to read (this was a real quote from the forums) - yeah, I know it's illegal, but I'm going to do it anyway

*cough*

anyway, as said here already, ram seems to be your problem. other than the afformentioned issue with morality.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mkaake said:
you're forgetting - 80% of MR members don't quite know what that word even means, and calls you mean names when you bring it up in a sentance. one of my sigs used to read (this was a real quote from the forums) - yeah, I know it's illegal, but I'm going to do it anyway

*cough*

anyway, as said here already, ram seems to be your problem. other than the afformentioned issue with morality.

Yes, well, I must have forgotten that. Yes, he does have a RAM problem. Maybe, he should have borrowed some.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
williamsonrg said:
So to recap, he needs 1) RAM 2) morals 3) spellcheck and grammar check

for his credit - english isn't mymemory's first language - so come on people.

I hope that the speed issues are resolved, but if he's returning the machine in a couple weeks, getting more RAM might not be an option....

D

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
Trying to do a full Final Cut render on stock ram is like trying to win a Grand Prix with a showroom car. Just like you'd need to tweak the engine, and add special fuel and whatnot with a car, you need to add ram, and tweak the preferences for optimal performance with a computer. A G5 straight out of the box is a fast machine, but it's suited only for common purposes, as a showroom car is suited only for regular driving.

As for the morals thing, my store absolutely refuses to take machines back once they've been registered. Open box is one thing, but once you go through that setup procedure, you've incurred an hour or so worth of work on our part to restore it to original condition. For most people, this isn't an issue, as they think long and hard before dropping two or three grand on a new computer. The only ones we get back are IUFUs, which Apple takes care of. I can only hope that the place you bought yours from has the same policy.

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
mymemory said:
I am going to keep testing but everything is way overrated to me... as usual.

Everytime I see a thread by mymemory, I immediately think masterbation, underage sex
or (and this one is usually the case) complaining about Apple products.

It seems that your problem with the latter is that you're never satisfied with anything (sort of like your Location information for your profile :rolleyes: ).

I concur that more RAM would help, but as bousozoku said, you need to see if you can 'borrow'
more from Apple.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
Hey man I love you too.

And please do not think about me when you are masturbating.

I got the computer because I have a project to do by Friday and any Apple store around here had the 2.5 available, I would have to sing in a waiting list. Usually when I can I just get the top of the line of what Apple has.

After Effects is running very fast way more than Final Cut Pro. I had a layer with a full resolution movie and I applied the gussian blur and took 2 secons to complete 10 secs of the animation.

By the end of December I am going to apply for a dual 2.5. This computer has 512 ram.

I do not believe in benchmarks, they are all "wonderfull" but the real test drive is the best.

That is it for now.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mymemory said:

I got the computer because I have a project to do by Friday and any Apple store around here had the 2.5 available, I would have to sing in a waiting list. Usually when I can I just get the top of the line of what Apple has.

After Effects is running very fast way more than Final Cut Pro. I had a layer with a full resolution movie and I applied the gussian blur and took 2 secons to complete 10 secs of the animation.

By the end of December I am going to apply for a dual 2.5. This computer has 512 ram.

I do not believe in benchmarks, they are all "wonderfull" but the real test drive is the best.

That is it for now.

I don't think you have to worry. It's not likely that anyone on the planet wants to think of you while masterbating. :D

I suppose you're going to borrow the dual 2.5 from Apple, as well? I think I'll let them know ahead of time, so they'll be ready for you when you return with this one.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2001
Miami
About not being satisfy...

Well, I can actually see how Apple is playing tricks here and there to give "everything" but not at once. Every once in a while Apple comes with an incredible product, probably the revision D of something. For example:

The Powermac 9600: it had 6 PCI ports and it came out when Apple had clones around. The 9600 had the expansions only the G5 can dream of.

The Powerbook Pismo: You could (yourself) upgrade the ram up to 1GB, the processor, the CD to a Super Drive, 2 bateries slots, PCIMCI slots, S-video and XVGA out put, audio I/O and 2 firewire and usb ports. Plus, the antena of the wireless thing was around the monitor frame (not keyboard frame as the Titanium). The only thing you couldnt upgrade (officially) was the video ram but there is a 64MB PCIMCI card for Apple displays.

The same thing with each line, except for the iPod I think.

So, Apple hasn't reach the perfect value/price machine in the G5 line in my opinion.

On the othet hand, dud, is very hard to move from a country like mine to a country like yours. I went to NYC because some one told me they had a lot of contacts for me and all of them were worthless. Despite NYC is not a mentally healthy place any way. Plus I came out from a very turbulent relationship and I saw myself completly alone in that place + dealing with the coldest side of the US culture. So, is not easy at all, I am 29 and I am in a point where I have to define myself as a person and I was changing culture, no job, no money ( I own $25.000 to my family), no friends at all and no chance to go back to my home country because there is a dictatorship stablished down there. I had to redifine everything in my life, even to redefine love and values and relationships. Friends were not the same, girlfriends neither, I see my family different and not to mention how to place myself in to the picture, the only thing I had the same was my name and birthday (and of course sexuality) but the rest was on hold to be redifine.

When you are 24 life still a playground, when you are 29 you already past that playground and now you are here again. When you are 24 your girlfriends are 21 and all you want to do is party, when you are 29 your gf are 27 or 28 and they want kids, then you would have to date the 21 to 25 yeras old girls again but... you have been doing that already, so to fit in to the new world is complicated.

Go to Bluckbusters and rent Don Juan de Marco... that was my life back in Venezulea, passion, romance and things like that, then rent Ethernal Sunshine of an Spotles Mind and then the Butter Fly Effect and then you may have an idea of what my life have been this year in NY.

Still, Apple is always playing tricks on us.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
mymemory said:

That is it for now.

The 512MB of RAM would be your problem. You absolutely CANNOT run any major video editing program with only 512MB of RAM. I'd at least double that 512 and maybe go for 1.5MB of RAM. Then you will see the speed come out. Also, make sure you have the latest version of Mac OS X installed. It may not be updated out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.