Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Go look. It's on the main apple page under Developer/Hardwear Purchase Program/United States/ADC Hardwear Purchase Program Store.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
if you're a student developer, ADC discount beats student discount, even with the $99 fee factored in...That's for the G5. I already priced the dualie that I'm thinking about buying.

Your savings differential is even bigger if you DON'T go with AppleCare, because ADC gets no discount whereas student gets a significant discount...For everything else, the ADC discount is bigger.

I suggest buying your G5 without AppleCare and ordering AppleCare separately for the system as a student, if that is possible.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
c'mon guys...

only use the ADC discount if you ARE a developer.

bah! I AM a developer...A developer of discounts for myself. At least I fit half the description, "student."

The extent of my development is HTML and JavaScript. I'd like to learn C, though, and I'd like to make Cocoa apps, but I don't have time...

But no matter, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get a G5 at the cheapest price possible.

And I confirmed it. You can order your system as a student developer and your AppleCare separately as a student. That's an extra fifty bucks savings.

Sorry, I like finding a good deal.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
c'mon guys...

only use the ADC discount if you ARE a developer.

Yeah, but a 600 dollar discount is VERY nice even to non-developers. At least I will be able to legitimately get the discount because I am a game developer.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by themadchemist
bah! I AM a developer...A developer of discounts for myself. At least I fit half the description, "student."

The extent of my development is HTML and JavaScript. I'd like to learn C, though, and I'd like to make Cocoa apps, but I don't have time...

But no matter, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get a G5 at the cheapest price possible.

And I confirmed it. You can order your system as a student developer and your AppleCare separately as a student. That's an extra fifty bucks savings.

Sorry, I like finding a good deal.

oh my!

I am a developer too! I know c++, java, Visual Basic, and I am learning more next year.

Contact me to play my awesome (terminal :)) game - 'Emu Dodger'.

So how do you become an ADC member? I am also a 16 year old enrolled in college! (ibookin is gunna come in and ruin this for me ;)) I am taking classes at a college in Austin on top of my high school classes.

I am also paying for my G5 with my own money.... So, have I convinced y'all yet!?!? Don't y'all think I deserve this discount?

(10 minutes later)

It's not hard to join at all! All I have to do is find my student ID.

scem0

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Vlade
scem0, you have to be 18 to get the student discount :(

they never asked for my birthdate.....

Well they asked for my birth day, but not what year I was born.

scem0

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I think that the college student discount it self is a great program. Purchased my current Power Mac G4 that way. Probably will get the G5 the same way!

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by wdlove
I think that the college student discount it self is a great program. Purchased my current Power Mac G4 that way. Probably will get the G5 the same way!

Your only allowed 1 system PER LIFE with the student ADC discount. BUT, if you want to sign up for the ADC Select program, you get free Mac OS X, and a Free hardware discount (600 dollars on the Dual 2.0)

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by Vlade
Your only allowed 1 system PER LIFE with the student ADC discount. BUT, if you want to sign up for the ADC Select program, you get free Mac OS X, and a Free hardware discount (600 dollars on the Dual 2.0)

I think he meant the normal nonADC student discount. That is how I got this system (Dual 1ghz MDD) and how I will get my G5 if I can screw the government for one if I take the tests for being dyslexic. My brother took it after his finals just before his graduation. He realised that he would have got £3000 given to him if he only took the test a year or two earlier. I know of somebody being bought a top of the line G5 and display plus audio hardware for him by the government because he is dyslexic and at UNI.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
You sound as if you are proud of it... you should be ashamed of yourselves! The money is not growing on trees, other hard working people are paying your computer with their taxes then... That attitude is asocial!

:mad:

groovebuster

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by groovebuster
You sound as if you are proud of it... you should be ashamed of yourselves! The money is not growing on trees, other hard working people are paying your computer with their taxes then... That attitude is asocial!

groovebuster

Yes, americans are paying for that (probably about 3 cents each person, but they add up when there are so many things like that)

But I also have to say I would do it too, so i'm a hypocrite :p

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by groovebuster

groovebuster

Its not like I'm cheating the system. Thats seriously what they do over here (UK).

They will buy you a computer, some voice recognition software, scanner and printer if you are dyslexic. There's a chance I may be dyslexic, and as I said my bro caught it too late, so its worth taking the tests.

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
btw, in order to get the ADC DEVELOPER discount, you need to be a Select member for AT LEAST a year... they only give you the discount after renewing your membership before your first year expires.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by bitfactory
btw, in order to get the ADC DEVELOPER discount, you need to be a Select member for AT LEAST a year... they only give you the discount after renewing your membership before your first year expires.

excellent, important point...

likewise, select members get one "discount" per year (after the first year)... so in theory it's not really that hard to save the 500 bucks (or 1000 in the case of the first purchase- year 1 and 2)... you also get seeds of mac os x. and free versions of each release (i believe)

so, it's kind of an investment that pays off occasionally

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.