G5 and a HDTV

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Hey guys, a while back I got a new TV for my desk and now I want to hook up my G5 to it. Anyone know of an adapter that works? I bought one off Amazon a while back but it works HDMI-VGA not VGA-HDMI

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
What video card do you have?

I'm using a 6800 Ultra, which has dual DVI outs. I just have a DVI-HDMI cable running from the computer to my TV. HDMI and DVI use the same signal protocol-the difference is that HDMI-obviously-uses a different connector and also supports sound. Thus, the cable is passive.

All G5 Cards(or at least the Mac edition ones) I'm aware of have either dual DVI or DVI+ADC. ADC is really DVI with extra connectors for power and USB, so again a passive adapter can be used to turn an ADC port into a DVI port. Then, run a DVI-HDMI cable to your TV.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
What video card do you have?

I'm using a 6800 Ultra, which has dual DVI outs. I just have a DVI-HDMI cable running from the computer to my TV. HDMI and DVI use the same signal protocol-the difference is that HDMI-obviously-uses a different connector and also supports sound. Thus, the cable is passive.

All G5 Cards(or at least the Mac edition ones) I'm aware of have either dual DVI or DVI+ADC. ADC is really DVI with extra connectors for power and USB, so again a passive adapter can be used to turn an ADC port into a DVI port. Then, run a DVI-HDMI cable to your TV.
I have the stock GE Force FX 5200 and I might do that since I use my tv for my Xbox and I also use the PMG5 at the same time the I could use dual displays
You are going to want to go from DVI to HDMI rather than VGA to HDMI.
Thaws what I was planning to do, I was using the vga stuff as an example for the adapter I bought

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.