G5 iMac?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2004.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

Despite the seeming lull in product releases in the past few months, according to sources, Apple has been hard at work on upcoming releases...

Most specifically, sources report that a PowerPC G5 based iMac is in the works and should represent the next iMac revision.

As with many of Apple's revisions, sources are unable to provide a specific timeframe for release, but iMacs are due for a revision. The iMac was last updated in November 2003.

2. 365 macrumors member

Yes Please..

Stick me down for one of those :D

3. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Hmm, so it seems this might be the update cycle:
    WWDC 2003 - PowerMac G5
    WWDC 2004 - iMac G5
    WWDC 2005 - PowerBook G5
    WWDC 2006 - iBook G5

Hey, why not? ;)

4. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

I just don't see why they'd put a G5 in an iMac before getting one in a PowerBook. I know it would be easier, but that doesn't make sense to put a G5 in a consumer line computer before getting it in all of the pro line. Obviously we could get at least a 1.5 in there, maybe even a little more. A 1.5 or 1.6 G4 wouldn't be much slower than a 1.6 G5 (which the iMac would almost have to be) yet it would keep the consumer line more consumer.

5. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Nice!

iMac G5 1.8 with 20" LCD at $2,199.00 would be highly appreciated.

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

I think Apple knows the iMac is dead without a G5 in it. The sooner Apple goes G5 the better. I don't think they should wait for the Powerbooks to have the G5 first even though the iMac is a consumer machine, because the main distinction between the 2 is portability.

The two other questions are:

1) Are they going to make a headless iMac?

2) Are they going to allow it to be upgradeable?

These are 2 weaknesses of the current iMac's sellability.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is a pleasant surprise... I was expecting the 1.5 GHz G4 to be put in the iMac before the G5s made it there. (Yes, I am an iMac owner - but I'm not annoyed by iMac updates. After all, they're inevitable - unless Apple goes out of business). Of course, these G5 iMacs would be single-processor since they're consumer-level machines. I'm also not expecting these to appear until after WWDC, assuming the PowerMacs get updated then.

9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hmm, imagine this at WWDC 2004:

Power Mac G5 DP 2.2GHz, DP 2.6GHz, DP 3.0GHZ

iMac G5 SP 2.2GHz, SP 2.6GHz, SP 3.0GHz

Yummy! I know, it’s just a dream and won’t happen but Apple would finally be competitive again.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Desktops are usually faster than laptops. The DVD Burners are slower on the powerbooks compared to the iMac except for the last update. The iMac is too expensive to be consumer anymore. Currently, it's like a semi-pro system with less than semi-pro specs. TThe eMac is the real consumer Mac.

The powerbook could be considered pro simply by it's weight, formfactor, design and not it's CPU.

11. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

I think this would make PowerMac updates inevitable and inject life into the stagnant iMac line. Good.

12. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

wasn't there a quote from a few weeks ago by some Apple VP about WWDC 2004 having announcements on par with last year's? this would sure fit...

13. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

Wait a minute here, you're complaining that Apple are going to put a faster processor in one of their products? That must be a first ;)

It makes perfect sense to me - it's much easier to do as you said, and IIRC the iMac isn't selling as well as they thought so needs a boost. What doesn't make sense is to delay the G5 iMac just because an unrelated product - the Powerbook, which is in no way competiting with the iMac - doesn't have the same processor.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A G5 iMac will make my Power Mac G4 look even worse :(

I don't understand how the current eMac and the current Power Mac G4 can have almost identical specs, yet the Power Mac is about NZ$1000 more.

On the other hand, any advance is an improvement :)

15. punkmac macrumors regular

G5 imac

I have posted my ideas on this in the past.

The new iMac will have to be something worth the effort, or it will be DOA.

I thought G5 but now that Powerbooks received 1.5s, i'm thinking that's what they will get. Knowing Apple's track record.

The powerbook has been more a portible IMAC more than a POWERMAC!

It will be nice to be shocked.

I.

16. oldpismo macrumors member

At last, something to make the iMac appealing. Hopefully it will be at least a 1.8, though anything would be good.

I'll take one as soon as they reach the UK (though I'd much rather pay US prices - any reason a US one wouldn't work over here?)

17. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

Multiple/larger monitors, PCI cards, multiple hard drives, more RAM (i think), internal ZIP drive. Plus a different target market. :)

18. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Headless Imac?

The reason that Apple is still running as a company, is the fact of the all-in-one style of the iMac. The sheer invebtivness of the iMac saved Apple from closure, and the look is a classic one. A headless iMac will never be a REAL iMac, but some PMG(4,5) for consumer use, Apple will never stand for this, but a new computer, with the consumer marketability of a PC (Computer in one box, monitor seperate, and a PC competing price (consumer level) will do well)

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe Apple is finally taking its head out of its ass with regard to marketing. Holding back one line for another is ridiculous. If they can get the G5 working in an iMac before a PB, then you do it and sell it. For the prices Apple charges for these machines, "consumers" (a whole different argument, these are hardly consumer machines, they are high end boxes with high end prices) deserve high end hardware. I say slap the fastest G5 you can in there and watch the sales skyrocket. Count me in for one and one for my parents as well.

20. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I think they may remove the SP 1.6 Powermac G5 from the line and put the 1.6 and 1.8 in the iMac's, 1.6 15", 1.8 17" and 1.8 20" Also maybe they may update the Graphics to the 9700 like the powerbook? this is obviously available for embedding in their fab plants.

As it stands the current 1.6ghz G5 Powermac is a real attractive deal its £1,399 + say £100 for a 19" CRT Monitor and youve got yourself a cheaper computer than the imac.

Hopefully they may drop the prices a little on the imac. Also provide a Line In for use with garageband ?? :)

Ooh its like waiting for xmas day with apple's events, which other company generates such hype? i love it.

21. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I agree, the iMac with a 1.5Ghz G4 is not really going to cut it. Maybe a year ago but now for a Pro-Sumer machine they need to do something pretty significant to adderss what has been a year + of sliding sales.
    G5 is the answer. A 1.6 even would be fine, because it fixes the problem of the slow bus, allows for 4 sticks of faster ram, beefs up the processor etc etc.

But knowing Apple a little, I do wonder if they will ignore consumers and bring out a lame duck iMac upgrade to cover the rest of the year until they can bring out the PB G5 at the same time. That would be a huge waste in my mind for some sort of tidy minded thinking about the requirements of the power line.

Headless...I would be happy to see it but I doubt it. They might do some magical re-engineering and bring out a detachable normal mac screen on the imac arm...which would serve both the standard market and those looking for a headless unit...

Upgradable...thats a tougher call. I very much doubt it. Of course they would always allow access to the ram slots, possibly the graphics card?, hard disk? and a pci slot or two, but it would be a big change for the imac line...

22. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

no reason hy it wouldnt work

its just gettin it over to the uk

i might snap one up if they make a 17inch superdrive 1.8 G5 for £1250

23. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I agree, if they take the approach of maxing the iMac out as much as possible for the new form factor, then I would be very happy to see a form factor that allowed them to basically put a maxed out single processor G5PB into the new iMac. To keep this unit smaller though I doubt it will have any readily accessibly parts, expansion slots etc

My parents are also on hold to switch to macs, pending what happens to the iMac...

24. tom.96 macrumors regular

I've been wondering whether we would see a 1.5ghz G4 (maybe with a price cut) or a G5 imac. I think that a G5 imac would be excellent, and would like to see other impressive features to match, such as a 128mb graphics chip in the 20".

I know people are saying that the imac was updated in Nov (I think) but processor speeds haven't been updated for longer - was it September? Can't remember.

Anyway, G5 imac = good thing. :)

25. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

sounds good...

sounds good.. when they release g5 imacs there has to be pm g5 announcements too :)