G5 just crashed thinking of only using mb pro for music production thoughts??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Oct 25, 2010.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

Hey guys ,

My g5 hard drive just crashed. I am tech savvy and i can easily change the hard drive out but in all honestly i have enjoyed making beats on my mb pro more now . I m thinking of selling a few pieces of equipment and just getting a 24 inch cinema display so i can connect my mb pro for more screen real estate.

with the new logic and all the vsts that are dropping the g5 would hiccup on them. I know it's logical to get a mac pro but i just can't afford that right now .

what do you guys think ?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would do it to be honest. If you're not in the market for another desktop then why not? The MBP has line in separate from the headphones so it should be good for your needs.

3. the-ep macrumors member

Assuming you're referring to the MBP in your signature, I'd say it's a good idea, given my experiences with Logic on my MBP.

However, the line-in and audio-out are combined, so I'd recommend getting a USB sound card or the sort (I use an old Xmod for this purpose).

Also, I would recommend upgrading to 8GB RAM and a 7200RPM HDD (or if money allows it, an SSD), in case you haven't done so already (the VSTs and effects tend to eat ram very quickly).

4. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks i just upgraded my hd to 500 gig seagate 7200 rpm and a added 2 gigs of ram to my mb pro.. I have a firewire 1814 i use as a audio interface. after using a tower for the past 3 years. Im glad i bought this mb pro earlier this year. i think im gonna add 4 gigs of ram soon...

5. the-ep macrumors member

No problem :D

I'd definitely go with the RAM upgrade (considering doing so myself in the near future), as sometimes 4GB is not enough.
    At the moment, OWC currently offers 8GB for $150.

6. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks again. the ram is pretty easy to upgrade. that's why i love my mb pro so much real easy to upgrade everything.. that's not a bad price either. I think im going to get a 2tb external drive first for time machine backups first. it really scared me losing all the files. :):cool: