Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheap-Chopstix

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
in a tree
How much do you guys think the new G5 powerbooks cost? Will they be slightly more expensive then the current line up or stay exactly where the pricing structure is right now. And do you guys think they'll bust them out throughout their whole line from 12 to 17 inch models at once?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I think they will be the same as now. In my opinion, the next and last G4 PowerBook update will come soon, with lots of little extras like backlit keyboard and FW 800, a minor speed bump, and some price cuts. Then, when the G5 PowerBook comes out in the 1H 2004, the prices will go back up to the prices as they stand today.

I am basing this on the fact that the last incarnation of the G$ Power Mac did something similar, with the last update in late January with steep price cuts. When the G5 Power mac debuted, prices where higher, but not that expensive when compared to the MDD Power Macs, which where released in August of 2002.

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
They'll be pretty much the same as the G4 models whenever the G5 laptops come out.

Apple sets pricing first, spec's second.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
they will stay the same, or even go down in price. Apple computers have dropped heaps in price in the last year.

for example, when i got my 667 TiBook DVI (Rev. C) straight after they were released it was around $5200 educational price. and that was the low-end PowerBook when the Rev. C's were out, now you can get a low-end 15" on educational pricing for about $3500 or something like that. that's a massive price drop, and i'm guessing that Apple will continue to stay competitive with the rest of the market, especially seeing the $200 price drop on the PowerBooks just a month ago.

BTW, all the prices were in AUD.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Besides they cannot charge us that much more, not for performance we wanted at least 2 years ago. Even if it does start or top out at 2Ghz for the base or best model.

Not unless something really spiffy came with them as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.