Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
claytonbench said:
I have a Dual 2GHz G5. Can I overclock it? IF so how? Has anyone had experience doing this? Thanks in advance for anyhelp.

I would not recommend overclocking a a 2ghz G5. If you screw it up - you're sunk, and Apple will kindly turn their noses up at your voided warranty.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
why would you need to! it is not as if the computer is slow or anything!

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
why would you like to overclock it?

tell me what programs do you use?

it think a nice and big memoryupgrade could solve a lot

a friend of mine has a 2X2Ghz and added 3GB of ram in it, were both in the publishing industry, he as an graphic designer, I'm a photographer...

since I used his once, I knew with all that ram it has the power I will buy soon, because I make scans wich are 715mb, and my poor old PB has to think a long time on one (29/30 min/scan to make it and allso 10min to open one in Photoshop, nevermind thinking of doing a lot of filters on it), and he opened 5 of my files at once, was able to work on each one while they were all opened and it has the speed as if I use 5 files of 10mb...

want even more speed, change your bootdrive, put the 160gb as secondary and buy any 10.000rpm SATA drive (sizes vary from 36 until 80 GB I think) and this will add all up to the speed of your G5 because a lot of programs are more in need for extra ram (or like in the case of my scanner higher drivespeeds) than extra Ghz from the processor
or add an equal drive in the second bay and raid-stripe them, it makes the disksize lager and adds up to the writing speed of the drives since your computer writes on both at the same time...

and if your not satisfied after all this... wait for the 2x2,5Ghz, wich in my case won't be faster since my programs are more RAM and disk dependend in the end...

greetings & goodluck

J

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
before you start tinkering around inside that supercomputer with hot solder...
i'd recommend upgrading your ram from the factory 512MB pal!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You might want to check to see if Michiro Isobe has any info on it, I don't remember seeing anything but people swapping stuff around and finding that the 1.8GHz units still operated at 1.8GHz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.