Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

G5 PowerBook 'a challenge'

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Nice... Maybe in a Year?

Well, it is very true that pundits doubted a G4 processor in a laptop a few years back.. I am going to start saving now! Hopefully my new 12" PowerBook will serve me well while I await a G5 KevBook. Yup, Kevlar. Light, indestructable. Can't wait.

Comment

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Re: Nice... Maybe in a Year?

Originally posted by Balin64
Well, it is very true that pundits doubted a G4 processor in a laptop a few years back.. I am going to start saving now! Hopefully my new 12" PowerBook will serve me well while I await a G5 KevBook. Yup, Kevlar. Light, indestructable. Can't wait.

Weren't the clamshell iBooks made of Kevlar?

I know the original iMacs were.

Comment

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX

Heh, I'm in the same position, with a 12" PowerBook. I like the design of the Aluminum PowerBooks, though. Of course, I like the TiBook design before these, so there's no telling what Apple will do. Just as long as it has a backlit keyboard...

So the G5 PowerBook is just a matter of making a lower power G5, and toning down the massive system controller of the current G5's.

I can't wait, but I'll have to :D :cool:

Comment

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Again, from an Apple marketing sense, there is still a lot of tread-life left in the aluminum PowerBook look - G4 or not. Based on recent history it is reasonable to assume that Apple will have a new enclosure for the G5 powerbooks.

Comment

sharky2313

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
g5 powerbook

There must be some big pressure to dump moto and get those G5s into a powerbook. I imagine that Apple will be able to scale back a g5 as the documentation alludes to by Feb. or the spring at the latest.

Moto has for the last time shown how incompetent they are. Apple makes its big bucks now on laptops and can ill afford to keep putting badly supplied g4's into powerbooks.

I find this quote as more postering than anything else. Trying to remain elusive and set the ground work for an amazing annoucement that Apple, against all odds, overcame technological hurdles to get the G5 into a powerbook. :rolleyes:

Comment

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
eh, powerbook or not, what i noticed was

panther will support dolby 5.1 when used with the optical out

slick.

i was hoping that would be the case and it wasn't just super high quality stereo sound...

matt

Comment

DonZorro

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
Mac OS X (Intel Inside) !!

Mac OS X (Intel Inside)!!

Talk about what really matters...

FreeBSD (look under OS X hood) already has excellent support PC hardware.

MS would be irrelevant

Wouldn't have to wait for my Dual G5.
Could choose P4 or G5...bring 'em on!

The world would be a much better place

Comment

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
After working on a imac 500 for a long while, even a severely underclocked g5 PB (~.9-1.4) would do it for me.:)

It is too bad that they cant release the chips at high speeds in the pbs now, but it is much better than having no g5 at all.

Hopefully things will change when they shrink the chip.

The DHO is not pissed, but for sure not excited.

edit: clarification(90 minute web design period to kill)

Comment

Keo

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2003
So I'm thinkin about buyin a new 15" PB, would you wait for the G5? Will the G4 be obselete? I plan on keepin the computer 4 years.

Comment

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
Re: Mac OS X (Intel Inside) !!

The world would be a much better place [/B]

I don't see the world being a better place when Apple files chapter 11... do you?

Comment

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
mmmmm.... powerbookG5

:D

i'd LOOOOVE a powerbookG5

as soon as i buy some asbestos underwear to insulate my jewels from the heat and radiation...

Comment

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Am I reading this right?

Rubenstein appears to be saying "we just need low power G5s"! There was no "not yet", "the G4 has life left in it" or other spin.

IBM is releases 90nm G5s in November.

:)

Comment

DonZorro

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
quote:
I don't see the world being a better place when Apple files chapter 11... do you?
---

Well, OS X would then come head-to-head with WinXP, WinNT, Win****hitsthefan...

"Waiting" for the latest cpu, gpu, motherboard, box, etc. would be eliminated.

Wouldn't you buy OS X to put on Intel hardware?

I just switched (a year ago) to Mac, but I must admit that the hardware choices are a bit limited (even though very good quality).

I don't think it'll cost Apple much to "switch"?

Provide OS X on great hardware (G5 PBs, iMacs, etc.) and also Intel hardware (for those who want/need the flexibility).

THINK about it...don't get all defensive!

Comment

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Originally posted by Photorun
Apple files chapter 11 because it goes to Intel? My god that's a stretch.

Not really.

Apple makes a huge percentage of its profit from hardware. MacOS X for x86 would get them lots more $129s but lots less $2000s.

"You do the math" as they say.

Comment

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
This goes on and on and on about Intel hardware applied to OS X. Doesn't anyone ever remember what Apple has even stated? They already thought of using Intel chips and thought against it. They mentioned it being too hard on their customers during a long conversion process for the changes in softwares versions of everything. They've said this, they've already thought about it. So that's it. Please, every month or two someone brings this up and goes on and on about it without really thinking what it would do to Apple, it is a topic that is repeated over and over. Let's just move on....

Comment

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by Photorun
Apple files chapter 11 because it goes to Intel? My god that's a stretch.

*sigh* This has only been discussed, like, on 500 different threads in these forums. Throwing technical issues completely aside, there are a plenty of sound business reasons for Apple to stay separate from the Wintel axis.

Comment

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
Originally posted by DonZorro
quote:
---

Well, OS X would then come head-to-head with WinXP, WinNT, Win****hitsthefan...

"Waiting" for the latest cpu, gpu, motherboard, box, etc. would be eliminated.

Wouldn't you buy OS X to put on Intel hardware?

I just switched (a year ago) to Mac, but I must admit that the hardware choices are a bit limited (even though very good quality).

I don't think it'll cost Apple much to "switch"?

Provide OS X on great hardware (G5 PBs, iMacs, etc.) and also Intel hardware (for those who want/need the flexibility).

THINK about it...don't get all defensive!

You need to think before you post.

<rant>Apple is a HARDWARE company. You know, highest profit margins in the industry. If they had to sell their hardware for much less money to compete with Wintel boxes, which they would absolutely have to do if they offered OS X for x86 because why would anyone pay $500-1000 for an Apple box when they could get the same speed cheaper. Not only would they have to lower their margins on hardware but they would face excruitiating competition from the likes of Dell, HP, etc. If they became a software company, then they face competition from Microsoft. How long do you think MS Office would stick around for OSX? If there's no MS Office, how long do you think people will stay with OSX? </rant>

edit: My apologies, this is way off topic I agree. I am super excited about G5 PB's. But will a ramped down G5 be faster than a G4? I'm not entirely convinced. I know about the bus speed, DDR utilization etc. but the G4 is a veteran chip, fully optimized and the G5 is the new kid. It seems like developers will have to catch up with G5 optimizations before a real speed performance is realized.

Comment

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London

I would guess that there could be a some sort plastic casing over a magnesium skeleton. I mean the reserach on plastic is amazing. I heard they were developing next generation tanks with this stuff, Super tough and light. The day will come when we can really play starcraft on a battle field. In the mean time I can create burn DVDs on my Ti and thats fine... :D But for the future of the PB is an interesting one.....

Comment

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Change the topic... to... oh, I don't know? THE THREAD.

Moderator-in-training on a little soapbox.

Comment

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Re: Am I reading this right?

Originally posted by Blackcat
Rubenstein appears to be saying "we just need low power G5s"! There was no "not yet", "the G4 has life left in it" or other spin.

IBM is releases 90nm G5s in November.

:)

Well, unless they truly are skipping to 60nm - and it seems to be that is the case with 60nm chips coming in early next summer. We'll probably see a bump in the PowerMacs to dual 2.5GHZ around January. I wouldn't be surprised if 60nm G5s are introduced across the line late next summer.

Comment

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Re: Re: Nice... Maybe in a Year?

Originally posted by hayesk
Weren't the clamshell iBooks made of Kevlar?

I know the original iMacs were.

The iMacs were not made of Kevlar. Neither were the Ibooks of old or new.

The old iMac G3 and the iBooks are made of polycarbonate plastics, the same stuff in bulletproof glass and Lexan plastics [think Nalgene bottles]. Very tough, very light and pretty damn cheap.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.