Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

G5 Powermacs NOW SHIPPING

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes, thank you. I saw it when I visited apple.com today. It gave me an excited feeling. Now I don't know if I can wait for Rev B or not. A lot depends on circumstances. Must be patient.

Comment

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
well, i am happy for all the people who have ordered the mean machines.

i envy you all somehow. my g4 has to keep me floating.

am actually waiting for a g5 pb. :D

Comment

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by redAPPLE

well, i am happy for all the people who have ordered the mean machines.

i envy you all somehow. my g4 has to keep me floating.

am actually waiting for a g5 pb. :D

Thanks :D My dad ordered a 1.6, with a combo drive to save money, and without a few other useless things.It's for work, but at least I get to play with it D

Comment

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Nice. Time to go see them at my local Apple Store. Too bad I have to wait until mid-week. Or maybe I don't, I'll call them today.

Comment

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Originally posted by bobindashadows
Thanks :D My dad ordered a 1.6, with a combo drive to save money, and without a few other useless things.It's for work, but at least I get to play with it D

Don't they all come standard with a Superdrive? Can you get a "downgrade" to save money? How much of a savings could it be? Personally, I'd have gotten the superdrive. Burning to DVD will be the standard of the future if you ask me..... Either way, enjoy your new mac. :D

Comment

erockerboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
SEA, WA, US
Originally posted by wdlove
Yes, thank you. I saw it when I visited apple.com today. It gave me an excited feeling. Now I don't know if I can wait for Rev B or not. A lot depends on circumstances. Must be patient.

Any word at all on what enhancements we might expect on the Rev B machines???

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Yep, you can get it without a Superdrive to save about $200, but I agree that having DVD burning+iDVD will help with that extra measure of future proofing (plus another nifty gadget to play with)

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Two negative so far to this..

How the bloody hell can this be a negative story????!!!
Apple said they were shipping in August and have fulfilled their promise.

You would expect limited quantities to beging with...

Comment

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
Originally posted by twentyeight7
has any ones actualy shipped???

mine still says 9/30
what is your config and date of ordered? i have a BTO dual ordered on 6/24, which is shipping on or before 8/29... with express overnite shipping, next saturday, my dual g5 will be here! muha! i'm off to comp usa to see if they have an in-store demo i can play with, and possibly take pictures with on my zire 71... i'll let ya'll know. peace.

edit: fyi, i ordered mine without a DVD burner just because the faster i can pay this thing off, the better. and in all of apple's articles and things, it is always pointed out that 'even the superdrive is accessible for easy removal'. so i ordered extra ram from crucial because apple rips you on that as well, and i'll throw in my own superdrive as soon as i pay off my credit card and i can scrape the cash together. bottom line... we're getting g5's here, people!

Comment

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Not ordering the Superdrive is actually a pretty good idea on machins that can handle dual optical drives. You get the Combo drive and $200, and Superdrives are now selling at around $185...save $15 and get a free CD-writing DVD player! Or wait a year and they'll probably be about $100. If you're short on cash, and buying a new Mac will do that to you, $200 is nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Yep, with 10.2.7

I wonder when it will turn up in our Software Update.
10.2.7 for all non-g5 systems will be 'blackrider', not the same 10.2.7 'smeagol' shipping on the g5's. 10.2.7 will be in software update when the powerbook rev's are officially announced.

Comment

lynnpye

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
time to upgrade

Well, my wife is just starting her video production business. She is working with an iMac and only just this weekend upgraded to 1 GB RAM (as opposed to the 256 she had stock).

However, she just got her first paying gig (donations of time and effort to charities provide GREAT PR for startups with that option) and now has 1-3 more on the horizon. As a result, SHE broached the subject of an upgrade to me. Heh...unfathomable G5 goodness nestled by her desk. *drool*

Suddenly my 15" TiBook (800 Mhz G4) isn't looking so hot anymore.

Comment

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
Is it only though Apple that you can get rid of features ?
I have seen it with some resellers, but not as much as Apple is doing it.
I really don't want a modem, it's only $30 you save, but still.

Comment

yoshi1013

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2003
New York
It's disgusting how the box it ships in looks. It sits there to merely torment me and remind me of how much longer I have to wait.

May have to bring a small bucket with me to the stores so my drool doesn't spill on the floor.

Comment

trilogic

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2001
Switzerland
Looking at the pic on apple.com I wonder if the G5 shipping box really has a transparent window?

:D

No dell costumer would wonder if his shipping box had a transparent window or not. :rolleyes:

Comment

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Re: Two negative so far to this..

Originally posted by Stella
How the bloody hell can this be a negative story????!!!

I didn't vote either way, but there are a couple of plausible reasons:

1. You're not getting one and are very jealous of those who are. :p

2. You don't believe they're really shipping.

3. You're miffed that the dualies aren't shipping yet.

4. You were hoping Apple would beat expectations and ship in early July!

5. You just like messing with people... :D

I find it amusing when people complain about negative votes, implying that any hopeful/promising rumors should be 100% positive because we should all love Apple unconditionally. :rolleyes: Even the most exciting rumors can get negative votes simply because you don't believe it's really true, and that's a perfectly valid interpretation. What's wrong with that? :confused:

Regardless, it's all good. I'm glad those of you who are getting new machines will finally have them soon. For myself, my 733 G4 and 600 iBook will do just fine for a couple more years. By then, my new dual 5 GHz G5 with 32 GB memory will beat the pants off your shiny dual 2.0s. Oh, and it'll be a PowerBook.... :cool:

Comment

trilogic

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2001
Switzerland
Originally posted by Dahl

when I ordered my dual G5 I made it BTO without modem. but then I thought about the fax feature and that I can't fax over DSL. So I changed my order to a Standard Dual G5, 2 days later. I might be further back in the waiting queue now. :mad:

Comment

saint.duo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2003
I don't know about all of the resellers, but where I work, any configuration you can do to a machine on the Apple online store, we can do too. We just order it from Apple the way you want it.

Originally posted by Dahl

Comment

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Re: time to upgrade

Originally posted by lynnpye

Suddenly my 15" TiBook (800 Mhz G4) isn't looking so hot anymore.

If you are looking for someone to take that awful Powerbook off your hands, I'll do it. I won't even charge you anything!

Well, compared to my main machine, 800 MHz is looking none-too-shabby. My main system is a 400 MHz G4 PowerMac...it's decent most of the time, but I certainly wouldn't say 'no' to a new G5. I love seeing Apple's new revolutions, instead of just the slow evolutions...so when is the new kick-butt iBooks going to surface? My guess is that they won't surface until (if) the Powerbooks are equipped with a G5.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.