G5 RoadMap

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This eWeek article details some changes in Motorola's road map for it's PPC processors:

However, the new road map does highlight some revised aspects to the G5 family. New features include the adoption of the RapidIO Interconnect Architecture and symmetric multiprocessing capabilities (first seen in the PowerPC family with the G4 processor). Other revisions are initial speed estimates of 800 MHz to 2+ GHz (as opposed to past estimates of 2+ GHz to start) and a 0.13 micron manufacturing process instead of a 0.10-micron process.

also discussed is some possible hedging of the processor names by Motorola:

Overall, Glaskowsky said, this information was "consistent" with reports he had been hearing of Apple announcing G5-based computers at next month's Macworld Expo. Even if, he said, other reports, about Macs badged "G5" but sporting a PowerPC 7460 chip -- previously considered part of Motorola's G4 generation -- pan out. The PowerPC 7460, carrying the code name Apollo, has not yet shipped in any Mac model.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
pulling wool...

Looks like they'll be releasing a "G5" afterall. Even if it's not really a G5.

Geez... they might as well call themselves AMD and rate the chip at a speed of 2000 (sans MHz).

So how many of you suckers are going to buy an Apollo "G5"?

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
sheep

sheep! baaa. Are you telling me that you are going to buy a machine purely for its "gigahertz value"! Yippie i gotta gigahertz machine! Come on. If the g5 comes out at 800 mhz and kicks the living crap out of the g4 you aren't going to buy it because it's not 1 ghz? For the last time, Mhz/Ghz whatever mean nothing. I want performance and that doens't always come from the clock speed.

makkii

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2001
Yokohama Japan
The Apollo is not as fast as you say onyxx.It's only a new version of the MPC7450 so the IPC shouldn't be that fast.

And one more thing. Watch your mouth.
Œ–‰Ü”„‚Á‚Æ‚ñ‚Ì‚©ƒƒŒI

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
g5 not apollo

I wasn't talking about the Apollo being fast. I was talking about how stupid it is that people think that because the chip is clocked at 1 ghz it has to be fast. I know the Apollo isn't an acual G5. I'm just hoping that they keep it far away from the pro line and put the G5 in the tower.

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
mmmm....powerbook

Apollo also uses less power, meaning just *maybe* they'll have it in the TiBooks a few months after they release in the desktops...800 mhz TiBook w/o compromises for increased mhz anyone? I'd like to see a PIII laptop keep up with that.

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
"G4"

don't forget that we're still using "G4"s!

if you think back to what the G4 was going to be you'll see that it is basically what the mot G5 is about to be! and the G4 turned out to be a 604 with the G3 process applied to it + Altivec/Velocity Engine! oooh!! the G3 was/is basically a 2nd generation 603 (it had Mac OS specific optimizations as well as your every day processor advancements)

so basically apple is going to push the the G4 all the way to G6! wow!

OTOH Chipzilla had 4 “generations” of processor that were all the same thing, (Pentium Pro, Pentium II, (de)Celleron, Pentium III) so apple using the same 2 chips for 4 “generations” (603/604, G3, G4, G5) isn’t that big of a deal either.

I know I’m over simplifying things here, (P2 had MMX, P3 had SSI/MMX2) but life is tough :)

[Edited by Hes Nikke on 12-07-2001 at 03:40 AM]

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
apollo is not going to be released as a g5. all of the comments from motorola about there being plenty of life left in the g4 chip wouldnt make much since if motorola planned on calling the apollo a g5.

apple lost the mhz wars awhile ago, and despite this apple has itself propogated the mhz myth by pasting the mhz in big print on every computer it sells (or trys to sell). ibm motorola and amd need to get together and decide to adopt a new speed system (amd's system isnt the answer).

despite falling behind in mhz apple has always beaten intel and amd in actual processing power... until the last few months. i cant imagine an apollo catching up with intel/amd in either speed of mhz so all i can say is "who cares." until apple releases the g5 which im sure will hose the competition im gonna hang on to my g3 powerbook (shes beautiful with her sleek black lines).

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Re: pulling wool...

Originally posted by oldMac
Looks like they'll be releasing a "G5" afterall. Even if it's not really a G5.

Geez... they might as well call themselves AMD and rate the chip at a speed of 2000 (sans MHz).

So how many of you suckers are going to buy an Apollo "G5"?
couldnt agree more. More marketing hype and spin over substance (something apple seems to be increasingly good at). Calling a g4+ the g5 is assumes customers are merely desperate for a name change, not for a leap in both performance and value for money. A g4+ box sporting a g5 badge will finally shoot my support of apple.

I hate it when corporations lie to customers whilst believing they are doing us a favour, and we are too stupid to know teh truth.. :mad: And I hate it when "loyal" customers defend such charleton marketing actions - I suspect these are the same customers that dont buy the over priced kit in the first place.

S

Shelly

G5

I just sold my editing system (SGI workstation with DPS Velocity/Reality) and want to purchase my new system early next year. All this about the G5 not really being a G5, does this mean that Apple isnt't ready with the product? I can wait to purchase, but don't want to be without a system until summer. Can anyone explain the real performance difference between the two so-called versions of the G5. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Shelly Greenberg

atlascott

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2001
G3 plus Altivec/VE?

Hess Nikke:

My understanding is that the processors we have now are all later iterations of the first PowerPC chips. Speed increases and incremental technology improvements/additional are all that really separate a 601 from a G3. The "big deal" about the G4 is that, in addition to the standard spped bump up, G4's came with the Velocity Engine--not the G3's. I believe the difference between the G3 and 604 was the micron die size, and Apple's marketing team needing a "new" nomenclature...in fact, didnt G3's start around the time Jobs came back?

WRT the G4 Apollo/G5 debate, legitimate G5 chips have a bump up in clock speed, use the .13 micron die, and incorporate Velocity Engine 2, which is like Velocity Engine, but faster and more efficient. Also, G5's are, I guess, going to be offered in 64 and 32 bit bandwidth.
The Apollo i think has the Velocity Engine 2, but is a 32 bit chip, so you arent getting the smaller manufacturing process and attendant speed boost. Still, an Apollo will probably beat the pants off of any currently-shipping G4 processor, because the Apollo will have VE2 and a higher clock speed than the currently-fastest G4 (867MHZ). I would wait to see a performance comparison before buying an Apollo system, and if it doesn cream a 867 G4, I'd wait for a legitimate G5.

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
G3 == 603 + optimisations && G4 == 604 + optimisations + Altivec

atlascott:

all i was saying was the the G3 is an updated G2 chip, and the G4 is also an updated G2 chip. the G4 was going to be a whole new chip and the G3 was going to inherit Altivec and the 604 core. think G3 is to Pentium, G4 is to Pentium MMX (Pentium + vector unit) and G5 (evolved original, unreleased G4) is to Pentium III (newer core, updated vector unit) I know that the G4 has a different core then the G3, but they are both G2 derived.

the chip that was going to be the G4 went back to the drawing boards when Apple started calling the G3 w/ Altivec a G4. the chip on the drawing boards evolved into the G5, though some of advancements from the G5 are going to show up in this upcoming hybrid chip (as you said)

So to sum it up, we agree on some parts and we disagree on others :)

EDIT:

after rereading your post, i guess i should add that the 603 was an advancement from the 601, just as the G3 is an advancement from the 603. the 604 OTOH was an entirely new core that just happened to come out in the same time frame as the 603. the original intention was to have the 603 for laptops (based on the 601) the 604 for desktops and the 620 (a 2nd new core, never released, though it was supposed to give G5 like speeds! (if the G5 was clocked at 200 MHz)) for the towers and servers.

[Edited by Hes Nikke on 12-07-2001 at 05:00 PM]

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
G4 IMAC(flat panel) G5 Desktops

This is just a guess. I think Apple will release in Jan. G4 imac will be flat panel, and will release new G5 Desktops the most powerful ever. The first phase of G5 will be 1.2ghz-1.6ghz.

and the G4 imac will start from 733 mhz-1ghz with flat panel.

By summer G5 will reach at least 1.8ghz or even 2 ghz.

:O) this is just a guess...:O)

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
ummm.... consider the alternatives

So what if Macs are slightly slower, I can't see many people jumping ship across to the PC just because of the clock speed. Anyways, home computing depends on Internet speeds, not clock speeds. And MHz and GHz are not really a true measure, this has been drummed into us several times. If you've got a choice, a G5 running OS X or a 2GHz Pentium running XP.... well that's a no-brainer.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: ummm.... consider the alternatives

Originally posted by j763
So what if Macs are slightly slower, I can't see many people jumping ship across to the PC just because of the clock speed. Anyways, home computing depends on Internet speeds, not clock speeds. And MHz and GHz are not really a true measure, this has been drummed into us several times. If you've got a choice, a G5 running OS X or a 2GHz Pentium running XP.... well that's a no-brainer.
very true.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
P 2.GHZ and XP

I think I will pick Pentium 4 and XP...:O) 2ghz will be great for me. I only pick MAC if I see MAC OS X and at least 1.4ghz.

Intel is already talking about going beyond 2ghz. So, there is a bright future for PC..