G5 Sphere???

geeman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2001
152
0
At My Mac
Has anyone heard about a "G5 Sphere", which uses an AirPort 2 card to transmit video signals wirelessy? Or have I been had? Can send the link to anyone who's interested.

Cheers,



GeeMan
 

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
588
0
London
Yup, I've heard of it. It runs OS XI which uses a revolutionary new 3D user interface called Solar. It also uses Newton's hand writing recognition system, and has a detatchable Web tablet.

It comes with a free Apple PDA called iPad which uses technology Apple has aquired from its recent purchase of Adobe, Palm, Handspring and Microsoft.
 

geeman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2001
152
0
At My Mac
Originally posted by Foocha
Yup, I've heard of it. It runs OS XI which uses a revolutionary new 3D user interface called Solar. It also uses Newton's hand writing recognition system, and has a detatchable Web tablet.

It comes with a free Apple PDA called iPad which uses technology Apple has aquired from its recent purchase of Adobe, Palm, Handspring and Microsoft.


Have a look at http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macproto/g5sphere.html

 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Originally posted by geeman
Has anyone heard about a "G5 Sphere", which uses an AirPort 2 card to transmit video signals wirelessy? Or have I been had? Can send the link to anyone who's interested.

Cheers,



GeeMan
I think you have been had!!! Ok, it looks cool but where would the expansion come from?? Maybe a new cube though??
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
I think that if it was an actual picture of a future product Apple would have dealt with it! I have seen this picture in the past before.
 

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
2,495
0
Miami
Cheap

That "Sphere" is as useless as the cube, only the cube was real... a real failure.

Just imagine the room in your desk for that thing. If you move it a bit and one of the leg fall out of the table, the whole world is gonna breake a part.

Please quit adding comments about such cheap post.
 

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
121
0
Cube a failure?

That sphere was made in program called Bryce (perhaps you've heard of it) and like others have said, I think you've been had.

As far as the cube being a failure....

My cube seems to function properly and have had exactly zero problems with it.

The failure part of the cube was brought about by its high price and biased journalism.

It wasn't a failure as a computer, but rather it failed as a commodity.

 

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
1,275
0
WestCost, USA
that was a really old spoof

The sphere was an old spoof.. phots have been arround for like 6 months If I can remember right...


The Cube was the best computer no body used..

I kinda wanted one.. but it just was too expensive for me at the time.. plus not very expandable.

I hear now they are displayed in museums.
 

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
1,083
0
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Wow! My office is a museum? I got a cube for the office as a second graphics/web design machine and it's worked great. It was a deal too when i got it...too bad they didn't debut at those prices.
Thankfully the only expansion we've ever needed for it has been very easy over firewire...zip, scanner, HD.
And oh yeah, compared to the bees nest that the studio is with all the scsi arrays and G4 towers and decks buzzing the cube is an absolute joy to sit there and hear the music without noise.
Failure? Not for me.
____________________
"and to drink...Peru!"
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Originally posted by SPG
Wow! My office is a museum? I got a cube for the office as a second graphics/web design machine and it's worked great. It was a deal too when i got it...too bad they didn't debut at those prices.
Thankfully the only expansion we've ever needed for it has been very easy over firewire...zip, scanner, HD.
And oh yeah, compared to the bees nest that the studio is with all the scsi arrays and G4 towers and decks buzzing the cube is an absolute joy to sit there and hear the music without noise.
Failure? Not for me.
____________________
"and to drink...Peru!"
As you said, its a great machine but it was a little too overprised when it came out! Oh well, maybe a return someday!!
 

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
1,083
0
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
I don't think that we need to re-introduce the cube, but I hope that Apple learns from it. I still don't consider the cube to be a failure, just unpopular with consumers. Apple is very good at breakthrough design, and I hope that they don't hold back on the new products just because everybody has picked the cube as the number one target to say anything bad about Apple.
Bring on the new designs, think different and all that, and keep the innovations coming.
____________________
Where's my G5?
 

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
1,083
0
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Well, SPG I'll tell you.
The design was a success.
The engineering was a success.
The cube was a thing of beauty.
Silence.
G4 speed.
Firewire.
Small size.
Easy Ram upgrade access.
The public just wasn't ready for it, and honestly I think they were scared of it.
 

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
1,083
0
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
I don't think it was meant to be the Pro machine for everyone, SPG. It didn't replace the G4 tower did it? All the things you could ever want were still available in the Tower, but for some who wouldn't need those things or had another tower it was great.
Apple's real misstake was assuming that people would pay a premium for advanced design. If it were considered another option that was priced a little lower and had lower sales objectives, the cube would have been considered a great sucess and marvel of design.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
What needs to happen is that the PowerMacs need to become slightly more expandable (say 1 extra pci slot) then produce a "cube like" computer that has a greater expandability than the previous cube (say 1/2 pci slots). That would suit most comuter users!
 

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
658
0
Originally posted by Falleron
Originally posted by spikey
A spherical computer???
Oh bloody hell, what sort of a f****d up idea is that.
Well, it would certainly get noticed!
As you watch it roll across your desktop, yes.