Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
Does anyone besides me find it a little difficult to swallow the idea of Apple simultaneously marketing the G3, the G4, and the all new blazingly fast G5?

It seems similar to the idea of marketing a dual boot computer featuring OS 9 and OS 10, vs. OS 9 and OS X. Just a thought.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
lol, macviolinist. you took it before my girlfriend could. waco eh?? another one of my friends plays violin and she went to baylor for a yr :). i'm originally from san antonio. she came back to NC, but she is going back to Waco i think. hehe small world.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
With the eMac coming to the masses, I see Apple phasing out the iMac (G3 chip) and only having the G3 processor inside the iBook for the foreseeable future. Eventually even the iBook will come to the G4 processor. At that point, I would hope that the G5 chips are inside Mac systems, at least in the pro line (PowerBook's and PowerMac's). We might see a half year of the G3 being inside Apple systems, but after the following expo, I would suspect they would be replaced with G4 processors.

Apple is still installing Both OS 9.2.x and OS X (10.1.x) on systems that are shipping, since people still need OS 9 for some applications and for classic mode (if they choose to not boot into 9).

Apple could have all three processors in systems, but it wouldn't be for very long (6 months or less). As for 'dual boot' on a Mac, it is many, many times better then the peecee world ever came up with. It also is still needed by enough people for Apple to make it easy for end users. I would be surprised if Apple removes OS 9 from systems before MWSF, if even then. We could see both OS's shipping on systems until all the major applications are for OS X (such as Quark XPress which is taking too long in MHO).

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
AlphaTech-

Well put. I wasn't saying that the dual-boot was a bad idea just that marketing as OS 9 and OS 10 instead of OS 9/OS X seems like it would have been a mistake. The issue of G5's was just in response to them appearing at the upcomming expo.

Sparkleytone-

What's your friends name? I probably know her. I Just dropped out of Baylor's music school recently and am taching at another university close by. Soon to be teaching at TCU.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Whilst it would be perfectly possible for apple to have three types of processor (look at intel: PIII, PIV and Itanium), it would leave them with too many options. Apple isn't the biggest company out there, and can't afford to have too diversified a product range. Keeping the line streamlined keeps their costs down.

To put it simply: having G3, G4 and G5 wouldn't be good, i agree :)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by MacViolinist
AlphaTech-

Well put. I wasn't saying that the dual-boot was a bad idea just that marketing as OS 9 and OS 10 instead of OS 9/OS X seems like it would have been a mistake. The issue of G5's was just in response to them appearing at the upcomming expo.

It's all speculation until the expo any way...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by teabgs

or until Time Canada gets ahold of some pictures....:D

I think Apple will be watching Time magazine carefully before the expo, regardless of what country it is. If something comes out on the new enclosure design for the Pro line it would probably be somewhere else.

As for the G5@MWNY, I'd love to see it, and although I'm a half-full type of guy, I'm thinking its going to be another day before we see it.

But I love surprises.....

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by dukestreet

I think Apple will be watching Time magazine carefully before the expo, regardless of what country it is. If something comes out on the new enclosure design for the Pro line it would probably be somewhere else.

As for the G5@MWNY, I'd love to see it, and although I'm a half-full type of guy, I'm thinking its going to be another day before we see it.

But I love surprises.....

I agree 100% with you, just thought it was funny. I dont want to see the new enclosure (there HAS to be one) before the expo. Cause I'll be there in the crowd at the expo and I want it to be a complete surprise.

My friend is going with me and my boss and so to avoid the surprise being ruined like it was for the new iMac we're not gonna goto rumor sites for 48 hrs before the keynote....he's staying with me and it was his idea so I wont be able to sneak onto macrumors those 2 days either...:(

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by teabgs

My friend is going with me and my boss and so to avoid the surprise being ruined like it was for the new iMac we're not gonna goto rumor sites for 48 hrs before the keynote....he's staying with me and it was his idea so I wont be able to sneak onto macrumors those 2 days either...:(

I'm not sure to congratulate you on your fortitude of will or call you pathetic...

Regardless, it will be a very closely watched event, should be fun and exicting. I'll be PMing you later about a possible job you might be recruited for.....

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by dukestreet

I'm not sure to congratulate you on your fortitude of will or call you pathetic...

Regardless, it will be a very closely watched event, should be fun and exicting. I'll be PMing you later about a possible job you might be recruited for.....

I'll go with the fortitude of will thank you very much! :D

bring on the PM's.....

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by mmmdreg
So is this G5 coming out before the P5? or is one/neither of them not going to exist?

Apple generally keeps one step ahead in the numbers game (this one anyway). When the PII was out, apple released the G3, the the PIII was out, apple had G4. Now that PIV is out, apple are going to G5 (soon:rolleyes: ). G5 is deffinitely going to come out before we see a PV.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
hahah G5!

G5's thats a good one.
Then theres the one about a lady from nantuket that wanted to uhh i forgot how the rest goes.

I think its a disservice to all, to even discuss the evasive and errant G5 mythology. <although I understand the desire to cultivate the rumor despite its obvious near impossiblities!>
People get wrapped up in the G5 < there I said it again > mythology and keep holding up purchases. ofcourse this may cause APPLE to finally release the beast if it affects sales.

But how many people other than board posters actually even know about this creature. I would venture a guess that they know more of the Loch NEss monster or where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

So perhaps it is all in good fun, but it gets my ire up because obviously i am in denial and want that thing more than I want not to hear those magical words, G5. Words that have become like a distorted hymn sung backwards till it sounds like demon talk coming out of Linda Blairs mouth.

Wait, dont buy, wait for the G5, or buy a wintel~ ohhhhhh scarey demon talk.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: hahah G5!

Originally posted by Grokgod
G5's thats a good one.
Then theres the one about a lady from nantuket that wanted to uhh i forgot how the rest goes.

I think its a disservice to all, to even discuss the evasive and errant G5 mythology. <although I understand the desire to cultivate the rumor despite its obvious near impossiblities!>
People get wrapped up in the G5 < there I said it again > mythology and keep holding up purchases. ofcourse this may cause APPLE to finally release the beast if it affects sales.

But how many people other than board posters actually even know about this creature. I would venture a guess that they know more of the Loch NEss monster or where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

So perhaps it is all in good fun, but it gets my ire up because obviously i am in denial and want that thing more than I want not to hear those magical words, G5. Words that have become like a distorted hymn sung backwards till it sounds like demon talk coming out of Linda Blairs mouth.

Wait, dont buy, wait for the G5, or buy a wintel~ ohhhhhh scarey demon talk.
The G5 does exist. It's called the 8540. And they're not for Macs. These are destined to Cisco's next-gen routers.

BTW, the 8540 is clocked at 1ghz.

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
Texas

Originally posted by ftaok
The G5 does exist. It's called the 8540. And they're not for Macs. These are destined to Cisco's next-gen routers.

BTW, the 8540 is clocked at 1ghz.

From what I've been able to tell from moto's website is that the 8540 has been designated the e500, not the G5. Also, the 8540 tops out at 1ghz. I would assume that if/when we see the G5, it will begin there.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: 8540

Originally posted by MacViolinist

From what I've been able to tell from moto's website is that the 8540 has been designated the e500, not the G5. Also, the 8540 tops out at 1ghz. I would assume that if/when we see the G5, it will begin there.

The e500 is the core that the 8540 uses. The 8540 has been designated as the 8540. It doesn't have Altivec, and it doesn't have a floating point unit. The G5 may use the same integer core as it (the e500), but G5 != 8540. My guess is the G5 will be the 7500, but I'm not sure.

About the G5 not existing, that's stupid. If the G5 doesn't exist, in one form or another, Apple should give up now. You think neither IBM nor Motorola will ever release a faster processor??? You're all crazy.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
I just had a thought...

Seeing as we're all pretty sure that there'll be no G5 any time soon, what's the likelihood that Apple moved the iMac to the G4 to increase the numbers of G4s they buy from Motorola so that they can sufficiently lower the G4 processor cost-per-unit to be able to ship quad G4s at a price that pros won't balk at?

contd. in the new thread called 'business model for Quad G4s'. Thought it would be more appropriate.....

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by britboy
Whilst it would be perfectly possible for apple to have three types of processor (look at intel: PIII, PIV and Itanium), it would leave them with too many options. Apple isn't the biggest company out there, and can't afford to have too diversified a product range. Keeping the line streamlined keeps their costs down.

To put it simply: having G3, G4 and G5 wouldn't be good, i agree :)

Hehe, brit, u forgot the mobile series and the ever popular Celeron. Yes, i agree. Apple could have three processors going at the same time. My proof is because Apple's chips cost MUCH less than most of intel's chips ( i heard that the P4 costs like $500 and the fastest G4 costs around $200).

But, yes, Apple does need to streamline. If i get ur drift, i think you want the G3 to be phased out. Then, Apple would be a Motorola only company and Apple's contract with IBM would be discontinued. This MIGHT have repurcussions, but, thats just pure speculation.

OKComputer

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
quick question

As a friend of a friend. Does anyone think it may be okay to purchase a powermac NOW (with the 300 dollar rebate)? She isnt interrested in total brain busting power, rather a media layout machine thats going to last a while...and she cant wait. Or do you think shes going to get totally screwed when MWNY comes round even with the 300 dollar rebate apple is currently offering. Knowing she cant wait are there any other systems you would reccomend? Powerbook maybe?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
We know that new PowerMacs are bound to happen, but we are not sure which ones. Even if Apple introduces new models the old models are bound to be bounced way down in price. I am not sure by how much, but I would not be too surprised of the current top model is bounced back by up to $500 or $700, MAYBE more, after MacWorld New York.

The only real reason for rebates and special offers on Apple computers before a big event is the possibility of an update for us, and the clearing out of old inventory for Apple's third party candidates, usually.

Are we cool on this? Great. :cool:

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by G5orbust

Hehe, brit, u forgot the mobile series and the ever popular Celeron.

But, yes, Apple does need to streamline. If i get ur drift, i think you want the G3 to be phased out. Then, Apple would be a Motorola only company and Apple's contract with IBM would be discontinued. This MIGHT have repurcussions, but, thats just pure speculation.

Doh! The celeron is the oldest processor currently being offered by intel, and i go and forget it :rolleyes:

Yes, i think the general idea should be to phase the G3 out. I don't mean to imply that the G3 is a defunct processor, but the advantage of altivec and superior floating-point performance makes the G4 a must for future releases (certaintly once the G5 has been released). That doesn't necessarily mean that IBM would be out of the picture. Contracts can be re-worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.