G5's Boxes Being Tested

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
This a pretty weak rumor, but a rumor nonetheless. An Apple techie from Cupertino recently confirmed with me that G5'S are being tested on a pretty large scale in desktops there at the Apple HQ. The only thing this did for me was help to establish a timeline, and to confirm that they finally have a G5 architecture, and that G5's are desktop chips, not handheld chips like others were speculating. I really hope we see G5's by the end of the year.

I Really really hope we do....even though I still guess MWSF '03 as the release.

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
Oh-please, Oh Please please, please...

Man, I've been waiting for this moment when the planets all align and produce a G5 tower, with 1GHZ for the lowend model, DDR ram, and Superdrive for 1600 bucks. Please Lord God Almighty, let this happen at MWNY this year. I've got the money to spend, but will only lay down the smack for the configuration above, even if I have to wait. My G4-400 is coming up on 3 years old and it's time for a change. Steve, can you feel the money burning a hole in my pocket?

Comment

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
An interesting Phenomenon

Nearly everyone here at MacRumors who has been beggin for a new G5 has an 'aging 400mHz G4" at home. I also have a 400mHz G4, and feel it is time to upgrade, even though I probably wont because I just bought a 500PowerBook. But it just seems like the 400mHz is the dead dinosaur.

Comment

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
G4 400

Yeah, the speed bump is nice, but the kicker is the Superdrive and getting the price for one under $2000. But, If I can get superdrive, G5, new motherboard and DDR on low end, then I'm biting. If one doesn't come out this summer, then I might actually consider the iMac, even though I know I wouldn't be getting nearly as good of a speed bump. Decisions, decisions.

Comment

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Id love to get my hands on a dual 1gHz. I use the dual 800's at school and love them. They render and perform so well. We also have 2.0gHz P4's, and Im not all cracked up about them.

Comment

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: An interesting Phenomenon

Originally posted by agreenster
Nearly everyone here at MacRumors who has been beggin for a new G5 has an 'aging 400mHz G4" at home. I also have a 400mHz G4, and feel it is time to upgrade, even though I probably wont because I just bought a 500PowerBook. But it just seems like the 400mHz is the dead dinosaur.
I'll admit....the G4 400 tower is a nice machine....but I've found it limits on more than one occasion...

Comment

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I am waiting for a G5 tower to come out before replacing my soon to be gone G4 500 tower. I just hope that it is before MWSF, so that there can be at least one revision before I pick it up. I also might be forced to wait a little longer, depending on the finance situation.

Either way, the sooner they release the G5, the better... We need something to slam the peecee people with. I think it would be sweet to have a G5 that blows the doors off of a 3GHz+ p4 based system. I know from real world experience that the G4 outperforms the intel chips in most tasks (that I care about at least). I have a G4 733 here at work, that out performs a new p4 1.8GHz peecee.

Besides the fact that I can run two different OS's on my Mac with little configuration headaches... try to do THAT on a peecee without buying additional software :D..

Mac's are superior... :D

Comment

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Well there are still a few months before MWNY, so Apple should have enough time to get it done right and intro it there. What else are they working on that could be released with more thunder than the "fastest computer ever"?

I've got a G4 400 too.

Comment

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
G4 400?

I wish that I had a G4 400. I was one of the people who rushed out and bought the only G4 available when they were released....a G4 350. A month later the G4 400 was available at around the same price that I paid. That sucked...for me.
So....if we're at all lucky I'll be able to purchase a new G5 come July-August.

Comment

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Here in the south bay:

Apple has been testing G5 and accompanying "parts" for at least a year. I have smoked out a couple of Apple's R&D team that were testing such toys. Crazy Wirehead kinda geeks. Makes all of us look like technophobes.

Comment

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I have a G4 400 agp too, it is nice. I do not need too much speed right now, I need ram mostly.

Comment

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
i also have a g4 400 mhz AGP graphics

I used to be able to play dvd's on it with no problem. But last week I mysteriously was not able to play them any more. I did not install any software or even do anything besides charge my ipod. When I opened the Apple DVD player it gives me this error:
"Apple DVD Player is not compatible with with the graphics card that drives the main monitor."
I have version Z10-2.0
Sometimes it lets me in, but right when it starts to play it freezes. I am running OS 9.1

Is there a newer version of their player, or is there another software doodad, or are there some extensions that I should enable/denable:confused:

Comment

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: i also have a g4 400 mhz AGP graphics

Originally posted by me hate windows
I used to be able to play dvd's on it with no problem. But last week I mysteriously was not able to play them any more. I did not install any software or even do anything besides charge my ipod. When I opened the Apple DVD player it gives me this error:
"Apple DVD Player is not compatible with with the graphics card that drives the main monitor."
I have version Z10-2.0
Sometimes it lets me in, but right when it starts to play it freezes. I am running OS 9.1

Is there a newer version of their player, or is there another software doodad, or are there some extensions that I should enable/denable:confused:
Well, first of all, get 9.2.2. If you have a decent net connection it should be easy. Second, check if the recent DVD player update has an OS9 version. Third, reinstall the DVD related extensions. If none of that works, try reinstalling the system (if you're desperate).

Comment

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Well, I'll chime in with my tad bit of info concerning the G5s. This is from an email from a programmer aquaintence of mine and the info he had. I edited out some info as not to get him or his friend in trouble.

Well, he told me when he was at the WWDC that he managed to meet some
important Apple engineers, and that he got invited to visit them in
Cupertino.
After explaining what he did...[edited by me]....he managed to sign an NDA to get beta hardware.

In the end of the last year, I contacted him to see if he got something, and
he told me he had what he thought to be a G5 (it was a grey PC tower.
Sealed, so he wasn't able to see what was inside it).

I tried to get some details, but he never answered to my emails with
specific questions. I also would have loved to see which version of MacOS X
he was using, whether it was 32 or 64 bit,... but he didn't answer either.
He probably got afraid of a leak.

The only things that I know for sure:
- It was reported as a 1.4 Ghz processor by MacOS X.
- There only was 1 processor in the box
- It was very fast for most tasks (much faster than a Dual-800 on its
specific multiprocessor-optimized applications, and easily 3x faster than a
G4-867), except Altivec ones
- He didn't expect a release before the WWDC at that time. Maybe it was very
buggy, but I didn't get many details. He's not used to get beta hardware, so
he didn't know whether the beta cycle would last 6 months, 1 year, or even
more...

By reading between the lines:
- It was running in a 32 bit mode
- It wasn't able to run MacOS 9
This is about 3 weeks old, but I think he also told me that the test boxes had been picked up by Apple already. Not sure if his friend still has the sealed box.

Anyway, my info:)

Comment

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Interesting...

- It was reported as a 1.4 Ghz processor by MacOS X.
that means it has either a
100MHz bus and a 14x multiplier (not likely)
200MHz bus and a 7x multiplier
400MHz bus and a 3.5x multiplier
or an x MHz bus and some wierd multiplier (not likely, all the chips I've heard of use y or y.5 multipliers, where y is a whole number).

Also, does anyone have any idea whether the G5 is going to use HyperTransport, RapidIO, or 3GIO (not likely, it's not very far along yet)
A lot of the rumors have said RapidIO, but Hypertransport is a lot farther along (read as: already being used) and Apple is a member of the HyperTransport Consortium.

Comment

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
No G5 til next year please...

am I the only one that hope G5 will release next year? :O) I hope not this year...becoz I just wasted my money on snowboard gears..:O) NO MONEY FOR G5...I hate to see other people get it before me....:O)

OOOOHHHH...G5!!!!

Comment

GetSome681

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2002
WOW, CAN EVERYONE STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS G5 THING@!@ I AM DROOLING ALL OVER MYSELF AND KEEP WETTING MYSELF!!@!!:D :D

Comment

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
this is good, alot of the new g5 rumors are pointing to MWNY. ill be there to see em! HEHA

we should all start getting together at macworlds...
we can all wear macrumors pins or somethan...

Comment

germanknee

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
i think we'll see the MPC7470 G4 in MWNY July 02 and MPC7500 G5 in MWSF January 03.
RapidIO for the G5

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.