Gackt

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
irmongoose said:
You've got to be kidding me... :eek: :(

Quick google... Japanese rocker, kind of looks like a girl, claims to be 400 years old, is eccentric...

I like my musicians straight up like ma whisky! I'll take Elliot Smith or Tom Waits over this pseudo-count anytime!

I would give his music a listen, but he is not yet on iTunes... :eek:

I have to agree: EEK!

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I know, ahm, 2 songs by him I guess, "Vanilla" is pretty hilarious, and the other one is translated to "Poem of the Month" or something and its very... well, poetic! I like them!

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
I listen to almost nothing but Korean music, so Gackt is probably right up my alley. I've heard of him before a lot, but never really looked into it. Not a fan of Japanese music, but I guess it's worth a shot.

slagonnee

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
I always enjoy his segments on Hey Hey Hey Music Champ (at least the edited/compressed ones they show on AZN). Very entertaining. He's got a very dry sense of humor - seems he doesn't take himself as seriously as people think he does.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
slagonnee said:
I always enjoy his segments on Hey Hey Hey Music Champ (at least the edited/compressed ones they show on AZN). Very entertaining. He's got a very dry sense of humor - seems he doesn't take himself as seriously as people think he does.
Did you see him do BLACK STONE on Pop Jam recently? It was great. I heard he'll be on the next Heyx3 as well.

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I had a friend who was really interested in him, kept reading his blog etc. (i'll find a link if anyone's interested?) - apparantly there were big problems last year when he tried to kiss one of his (male) band members... Ah well... Japan, eh? :p

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
hob said:
I had a friend who was really interested in him, kept reading his blog etc. (i'll find a link if anyone's interested?) - apparantly there were big problems last year when he tried to kiss one of his (male) band members... Ah well... Japan, eh? :p
why am i not surprised that he tried to do that

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Gackt's new single, Metamorphoze, rocks all kinds of everything.

My girlfriend bought me Rebirth and THE SIXTH DAY yesterday, so now I have

MARS
Rebirth
MOON
Crescent
THE SIXTH DAY

I am missing Mizerable, THE SEVENTH NIGHT, and Love Letter. And all of his singles, but I'll be damned if I buy 23 singles.

The new album this fall will be amazing ...!

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
which Gackt cd do you recommend? I'm going to pre-order Kim Gun Mo's 10th CD from YesAsia.com, so I might as well go ahead and try out Gackt.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sutekidane said:
which Gackt cd do you recommend? I'm going to pre-order Kim Gun Mo's 10th CD from YesAsia.com, so I might as well go ahead and try out Gackt.
Too bad Gackt isn't on iTunes USA. :( I haven't ordered anything from YesAsia in a while either.... I ought to get another one of Hikki's albums. :) And maybe some Gackt. :D

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
i take Hikaru or Namie or Puffy AmiYumi or the pillows over anything that guy/girl does (can't tell from the way s/he looks or sings like) fiance loves that guy -_-

Tahko

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2005
Finnland
Hey! Someone else here knows the King of j-rock too! :cool:

Not my favourite, but listenable. Some good pics, but sound kinda like 90's finnish pop-rock. :confused:

EDIT:
I've never heard anyone who could span every genre so flawlessly.
I have to say it... Get one whole album of Waltari, preferably "Big Bang" or "So fine!" and come again.. Rap, techno & death metal on same album by same band and with real instruments. :D

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Sutekidane said:
Ahh they are all so good ... but THE SIXTH DAY ~singles collection~ is an excellent taste of what he does.

eva01 said:
i take Hikaru or Namie or Puffy AmiYumi or the pillows over anything that guy/girl does (can't tell from the way s/he looks or sings like) fiance loves that guy -_-
Nothing says "classy" like judging a musical artist based on how they look ... you didn't even mention what you think of his music.

FYI, Utada's EXODUS album sucked and the only reason anyone cares about Puffy is because they did some song for Teen Titans and got their own show. They're "so-so" talent wise.

Balin64 said:
I like my musicians straight up like ma whisky! I'll take Elliot Smith or Tom Waits over this pseudo-count anytime!
This quote just made me laugh with its sheer ignorance, judging a musician YET AGAIN without hearing them.

You know, it's not hard to find any of his music on any p2p program ... I'm not saying that you should go steal his music (I buy it for a reason!) but it wouldn't kill you to sample a few songs.

XNine

macrumors 68040
boooo said:
im a huge fan of Gackt! He used to be in a visual kei band, Malice Mizer
(this band produces GREAT music as well..too bad they have disbanded in yr 2000) but is now on a solo. my fave track by Gackt is "emu ~for my dear~". He wrote this song for his good friend, Kami (former drummer in malice mizer) who died. sad song.. and NICE too! Gackt is a self admitted bi.. but hes leaning towards women. or he would have hit on HYDE! HYDE is a gorgeous guy.. he was Gackt's co-actor in the movie "moon child" and also the vocalist for a jrock band L'arc~en~ciel (a GREAT jrock band too!). Gackt claims his birthday to be on the 4th july 1540 and refuses to reveal his age :( it doesnt matter.. i still love u gackt!! my fave album by Gackt is definitely MARS!!!! and lastly.. his name is pronounced as either "garkto" or ga-ku-to.. not "gag"!

i've attached 2 of his pictures in this entry as well.. cheers!
If you're a female, I may be in love. J-ROCK/Pop is awesome. Ayume Hamasaki is one of my fav's. Hyde is just...RAAAAAAAH! So cool.
L'arc~en~ciel did the theme song to my show... How cool, other JROCK fans at Macrumors. I LOVE this place!