Gah! I love my iPad Pro 9.7 and got it on a good deal... why am I having such a hard time w/ this?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hal~9000, May 27, 2016.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I bought an iPad Pro 9.7 to be my only laptop type device, it was on a good deal as well: 128gb WiFi w/ 2-year AppleCare for $649 (Normal MSRP is $849 for that combination).

I love the beautiful screen, speed, speakers, touchID, portable form factor, and overall OS simplicity / security... so why am I having such a hard time justifying my $649 purchase to myself? :(

The main problem is that I already have a 2013 MacBook Air 13-inch (plus iPad Mini 2) which does a lot of the things the iPad Pro 9.7 does, albeit not as portable / no touchID / not as amazing a screen, so it feels like I'm being wasteful and spending a lot of money buying stuff I want but don't truly need.

Sigh #FirstWorldProblems :oops:

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

3. Steeley macrumors regular

Steeley

What's the good of living in the first world if you only spend your hard earned on what you need and never on what you want? Give it a month or two and you'll have forgotten about the financial aspect and you'll be left enjoying that sweet little gadget. Enjoy it. You deserve it.

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Sounds to me like you really can't afford it.

5. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Macbook air and iPad Pro 12.9 user. Sell the mini, i had one when i got the Pro. My dad has it now.

6. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Yep, it sounds like you should probably sell the Macbook. :)

7. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

8. stevemiller macrumors 68000

if you sell anything i'd make it the mini2.

i know some people are all about iPads replacing desktop os's, but i still run into a *lot* where what i'm doing isn't possible or at least is more of a hassle to do on an iPad. which isn't a knock on the iPad if you have uses for it that leverage its strengths. i just wouldn't want to rely on it as a catch all device.

9. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

agreed i all ways make sure my bills are pay paid 1st if i have no bills too pay and has long has i have $ for the week too where i dont run out then that when i make my move too buy a ipad or what ever it is that i want

i dont buy any thing in tell i make sure my bills are paid

with all my bill paid in full and i had the $ saved up i got me a verizon ipad pro 9.7 on friday and i love it the ipad pro 9.7"

10. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

No, it has nothing to do with trying to replace a desktop OS, which would be pointless. It's about streamlining your workflow, utilizing modern wireless connectivity and storage, and safety. iOS doesn't have to do everything a desktop OS does, so it can be lighter, faster, easier to use, and more secure. Same for the devices that run it.

Then you should hold onto your legacy computing device. Don't feel bad, the government still uses floppy disks, you're not alone.

11. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Maybe you don't need the storage and don't need AC+ and that's where it just feels like an ok deal?

Have 12.9 but will be a lot more tempted by a 9.7 32gb with Amex 2nd year warranty anyways (not accidental damage covered but never broke a tablet or a phone) at a killer rate

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple programs us to believe newer is better AND essential. Their brilliant marketing now includes the push to convince us that an iPad is a laptop replacement!

A what?

The flat slab form factor... will never replace the ergonomics of a laptop with its tried and true keyboard.

However the greatest advantage of an iPad is how it brings greater gross profit into Apple's coffers. It's no wonder the laptop replacement concept is being shoved down people's throats.

13. AFEPPL, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016

AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

If you're still in the 14day period return it, I'd stick with the MBA and Mini, it would more than cover all the bases. Big screen for lounge work with a real keyboard and a mini for portability. The pro does't really add any value to your workflows, hence why you probably feel like you do.

Or try and sell it privately?
    iPP will never be a laptop replacement for the majority of people.

14. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

For many people it can be, or already has. That's reality, not marketing.

And I don't know of any Apple marketing materials that say iPad can replace everyone's laptop/desktop. Can you point to one?

iPad Pro has a keyboard accessory, not to mention dozens of Bluetooth options. And there are many third party cases that mimic a laptop clamshell design.

Huh? The new Macbooks start at $1300, and go way up from there. So how do you figure that?

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've learned early in life that a "bargain" is not a bargain if I can't use the thing to its full extent.

I don't know how you use your devices so my comments are based on how I use mine.

IMO having both an iPad mini and a 9.7 iPad Pro is too much of an overlap. and if you have an iPhone there's probably even more overlap in function. Over the last few months, I've been trying to consolidate my devices rather than add more to the mix. My primary mobile devices consisted of an 11" MacBook Air + iPad Air 2 + Android smartphone. I bought a 12.9 iPP on sale and it has replaced the MBA and Air2. For those times when I need to work on OSX, I use Jump Desktop to remotely connect to my iMac in my home office.

I recommending holding off a bit... at least until we learn what Apple will unveil at WWDC, and then reduce the number of devices you own.

One recommendation I would be to sell all 3 devices and buy a 12.9 iPP. After the initial shock of the size difference wears off, it settles in as a nice "converged" device... not perfectly, but quite adequately. of course if you need access to a desktop OS, then keep the MBA and ditch the Mini.

...again, just my opinion.

16. bensisko macrumors 65816

...except Laptop ergonomics suck - they're worse for you than a desktop. The iPad is actually much better for you ergonomically, especially if you have RSI.

If you're doing a lot of typing, the advantage of the iPad is that the display is NOT connected to the keyboard, meaning you can position in where it's most comfortable for you.

17. 617aircav Suspended

Why do people have issue with purchases they make with their own money? It's either you like it or don't.

18. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

And you have a reputable medical report to support that opinion?
    I get RSI and I've never heard so much rubbish if I'm to be blunt... the space in front of the keyboard on the macs provide a perfect rest place for you wrests - this is so not the case with the iPad that can't support itself or tilt to multiple angles and if you are holding it, its even worse!
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2016 ---
    I agree, but id say don't come on a public forum asking or soliciting others opinions if you don't want a range of opinion

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Why? Simple. It's called "community". While some drop in threads to post how superior they are to others, the rest want to help offer some different perspectives.

20. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

You should do some basic research into ergonomics before replying like this.

The optimal desk posture is arms bent at the elbow resting on keyboard in front of you, and eyes level with the screen. Neck should be straight. Now how do you propose to have that posture with a traditional laptop?

The iPad can be elevated on a stand, with a Bluetooth keyboard in the correct position.

21. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Actually we have a mandatory corp course we have to take on the topic every year... maybe I'm more educated!

Remind me "how" the "optimal" desk posture doesnt not apply to a laptop? Opps!
    Like you cant elevate a laptop... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

22. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Nice picture, but that's simply showing how to make the best of a bad situation (laptops). It's not optimal posture, sorry.

23. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

WTF... so how can you put an iPad in a better one?

[​IMG]

24. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Not sure what that photo is trying to show. Home? I thought trolls live under bridges... but whatever.

This is one option for iPad stands. There are many others, and cheaper ones, but they're all similar:

http://www.floteyourtablet.com/flote-orbit/

25. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

The best place to put an iPad? its just not a replacement device.
    its a consumption device for very occasional light use.

So you need a stand then? The link simply showing how to make the best of a very poor situation, iPads are not optimal for posture, not sorry!