Galaxy Nexus before new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by intervenient, May 3, 2012.

1. intervenient macrumors 6502a

A few days ago I purchased an iPhone 4S as an early upgrade from my aging 4. The plan was to hold out until a few new phones were released (ICS phones, iPhone 5, Windows Phone 8), and THEN commit to a new phone for two years, but my 4 took a hit while jogging and was basically inoperable.

However, with Google's recent selling of the Galaxy Nexus on Google Play, I've been debating taking my 4S back, and using buying the Nexus as a place holder until the end of the year when the more interesting phones come out, and then selling my Nexus to pay for the new 2 year cost.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks all.

2. onthecouchagain, May 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

You won't get much in terms of resale value for the GN. You'll get especially less in Oct/Nov when the new iPhone comes out. EDIT: I see you aren't necessarily waiting for the new iPhone. Still, the Galaxy Nexus doesn't seem to retain high resale value, and will only get lower.

However, at the moment, Galaxy Nexus and more specifically ICS is > iPhone 4S and iOS 5.

Having used both, I shared my impressions in another thread when someone else asked about both:

"Wrote up some impressions here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14719805#post14719805

and here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14750027#post14750027 EDIT: 4.04 Update has fixed these complaints.

In short:

Hardware wise, the GN is a better experience. The 4S may have a few areas beating it, but they are wholly unimportant in the long run (I'd take HSPA+, larger screen, notification light, etc. over things like better material). 4S definitely has storage size and camera on its side though.

Software wise is where the experience really shines. ICS has iOS beat on almost every front. Better keyboard (we're talking leaps and bounds), better browser, better mail, easier to use and access to things (thanks to widgets, shortcuts, toggles, direct dial), better contacts, better search, navigation, etc.

Read the two links for more in depth opinions (I think I'm fair in my impressions). And for what it's worth, owned a Nexus S, iPhone 4, 4S, and now the GN.

Good luck."

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Why not spend that towards a used/refurbished iPhone? That way you still have an iPhone and still keep your upgrade (if you have upgrade avaiable).

4. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I bit on the Nexus. I got an iPhone 4 on Verizon last year before the unlimited data went away, and I'm sick of waiting on LTE. The Nexus lets me use a no contract T-Mobile plan with 5GB of HSPA+ and free tethering for $30/month. I have a discount on Verizon so it's not too painful an addition.

It's not perfect (build materials, camera and screen could be improved - basically all the strengths of the One X) but it's still very, very good IMO. Maybe it's easy for me to say since I have a purse and don't carry it in pant pockets, but I love the larger screen and the transition to ICS has been easy.

There'll always be a market for a pure ICS unlocked pentaband phone so I doubt the resale will drop way below Google's price (at least I hope!) It's those who paid full $600-700 price that got hosed.

In any case, I do think it's better than using your upgrade on the 4S. But getting a used iPhone is also an option as mac.cali said.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Agreed. I would definitely by the Nexus direct from Google and save the subsidy for whatever you choose to get later this year.

6. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I would bite on the Nexus from the Google Play store. I mean the phone used to be $299 with a 2 year contract so $399 is not a bad price.

Even if you hate the Nexus you will only have to use it for (guessing of course) 5 more months or so and then you can get the iPhone at a subsidized rate.

7. mac.cali macrumors 65816

The one sold on Google Play won't work on Verizon, correct?

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Correct, it will only work on GSM networks.

9. aneftp macrumors 601

I had the Verizon galaxy nexus. LTE while great on Verizon.

The main issue I had with CDMA nexus was horrible antenna. Samsung does not make good CDMA antenna.

They just released 4.04 for gnex but still same complaints.

Maybe gsm version is better?

But speaker on the gnex was very low volume. I could barely hear YouTube videos on the speaker.

Camera was so so also.

But ics design is excellent. Easy to use.

10. iphone12345 macrumors newbie

This sucks!

I guess not many know about the Nexus so you have less demand for it but still sucks and it's not right :(

Agreed.

Nexus improvements over iPhone:
    + Bigger HD screen
    + User replaceable battery
    + LED indicator light
    + Free google maps navigation
    + Gaming emulators + bluetooth controller + mhl adapter = win :D
    + Can change default browser
    + Can change home screen with launchers
    + Can change keyboard
    + Gestures to actions by swiping with fingers
    + True multitasking
    + One click settings control widgets
    + File system
    + No itunes!
    + Pentaband (so you can use it on T-mo or Att and have 4G on either)
    + ONLY $399!!! for contract free top of the line smartphone

Nexus drawbacks vs iPhone:
    - Camera
    - Battery life (any android user should automatically buy a spare battery to counteract this)

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've had AT&T as well as Verizon service concurrently, for several years. Overall it's been my experience that the GSM standard delivers the best experience with Android devices.

As far as volume, you may have simply had a defective phone.

12. intervenient thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies guys, and I'll likely go the Nexus route.

Have any of you guys ever done a return at the Apple Store? I hear it's a bit of a hassle.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective. Don't forget the "to me".

How so, exactly? How does GSM carry more importance than coverage where needed?

14. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If in the return window, I've never had a problem return an Apple product to the store. Usually only takes about five minutes.

15. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I tried using the Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks. I couldn't stand it and I tried giving it multiple attempts too.

The screen is still too grainy. The PPI isn't as good as the 4S. Camera is poor. The fluidity of ICS is not there yet. I miss having apps that are on iOS too.

The 4S's keyboard kills ICS keyboard for sure. Also, iMessage is just so useful. The instant messaging capability kills normal texting on the Nexus.

16. blackhand1001, May 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Ever heard of Google talk.

17. yrrej macrumors regular

i made the switch over to a galaxy nexus from a 4s and i love it. the screen does seem a bit grainy compared to the 4s but the additional screen size makes it really worth it. my plan was to use it until the iphone 5 comes out. i definitely recommend trying out the galaxy nexus and ICS to see how you like it.

18. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I liked the Galaxy Nexus but two big reasons the iPhone 4S is better. Battery life and resale value.

19. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Battery life on my galaxy nexus lte has been fine for me. Haven't run out yet. 4.04 improved it as well.

20. blackhand1001, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Here is my pretty heavy usage so far today.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At 60% after 7 hours and 23 minutes. The screen has been on for over 2 hours and 20 minutes already today so its heavy usage.

21. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Please get the Nexus to tide you over. 4 to 4S is one of the most useless upgrades ever. Why would you want to waste an upgrade over the 4S and be stuck with it for 2 more years? In Q4 of this year you would have your pick of the iPhone 5, the Apollo phones or the Galaxy S3. Dump the 4S asap.

22. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

What were you doing with your phone screen on for 2 hours?

I wouldn't consider what I have done on my phone as heavy usage at all but I guess it's very subjective to the person. Here's mine from today so far. Played some games for about 30 minutes, listened to podcasts for 40 minutes or so, used the web for about 20 minutes and here's where I am at. Wifi always on (been at home for most the day), bluetooth on only for the 40 minutes of podcasts in car. I sync my google info (hourly), Twitter (every 4 hours), weather (every 3 hours) and that's all I have for syncing in the background. I keep brightness at half as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I did mostly web browsing on forums and texting and watching a few videos. I have my email which sync over exchange, and my gmail syncing, as well as facebook running although it doesn't seem to do much. I do have the 2100 mah battery though as it was on sale and I knew someone else with it and I actually liked the way the back felt with the new door. It doesn't even look like has an extended battery which is not the case with most phones. I had no problems with battery life on the stock 1850 mah battery. I just bought the extended one recently since it was on sale and having a spare battery to put in my car may come in handy some day especially if I forget to charge my phone.

24. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah, definitely nice to have the option of putting in another battery if needed. :D

I will be picking up one soon here in the nearby future for just in case times. I don't really see that happening though because I have a car charger and a charger at work so I am pretty much always safe. The only time I may run out of battery life is on the weekends when I am not near a charger for the day at times.