Galaxy Nexus v 4s and others

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DroidRules, Nov 20, 2011.

1. DroidRules, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

DroidRules macrumors 65816

Attached Files:

2. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I think once they're updated to ICS, you'll see the Razr and the GS2 possibly surpass the nexus in browser performance also. The javascript optimization in ICS is MUCH better than in gingerbread and that's what the Galaxy Nexus is benefiting from. I think in order to stay competitive the next iphone has to definitely be more than just an incremental upgrade with a piece of beta software installed on it. With quads on the market, hd screens, nfc payments (which will become more mainstream in '12), 4g, and flexible screens on the horizon they are going to have to do something a bit more thorough than what they did this time around. If they go the route of the incremental upgrade again, the iphone will look to be quite lacking in comparison. The next go round promises to be quite interesting.

3. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Nexus, Razr, iPhone4S In the real world browsing they will all load similarly fast. Gaining 25% more in javascript benchmark next year will not really improve user experience much in terms of web browsing.

Now the GPU power... there is room for huge improvement. More and more people are playing games on their mobile devices shifting away from portable consoles like PSP/nintendoDS. It growing to be a huge market. Still not alot of games fully utilizing iPad2/4S GPU yet, but soon im expecting big games.

Mobile device could be the future of console if it becomes powerful enough. Just plug it into a big screen TV. Maybe wirelessly hook up controllers.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Very well said.

ICS will be adopted across the spectrum of Android handset makers as well. Being an LTR designed to stop fragmentation, it promises to be an influencing factor in the maturation of the platform. The rapid pace of development will require Apples full attention to their next iPhone if they wish to remain technically viable.

Conversely if their robust market of elderly buyers continues to grow at the fierce pace I've witnessed, then it won't matter what the next iPhone is like. The Apple logo is enough to compensate for any deficiency.

A recent visit to my local Apple store during a weekday around 11AM was very revealing. There was a store literally full of seniors. I had to wait in the que at the front door as it was SRO and an amazing yet not unusual site.

In line along with me were soccer moms galore. An interesting cross section of iPhone buyers opened my eyes to the typical iPhone demographic.

5. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

The weaker GPU compared to the SGSII's Exynos and the iPhone 4S's A5 chipsets has put me off of the device sadly.

Once Ice Cream Sandwich AOSP ROMs hit for the Galaxy S II, I'll be happy.

This'll be the first Nexus I haven't bought at launch. I love the looks of the Galaxy Nexus but things move so fast when it comes to Android hardware that it's going to slip behind very fast.

6. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I am interested to see official ICS update on the Galaxy S II, I would think the better GPU and lower Res screen it will outperform the Galaxy-Nexus easily.

iPhone4S, LOL wouldn't take that outdated device for free. 3.5" wristwatch screen :(...a home screen that looks like the app drawer was left open, just a row of icons :(...the middle thumb button, no home, back, or menu button :(...

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

1a) I agree completely.

2a) I'm not going to bash the iPhone, but you're right about it's shortcomings.

8. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

This was made using that 3.5" wristwatch screen, home screen that looks like the app drawer was left open and the middle thumb button: iPhone

Please show me what what's been done with your superior phone so far.

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

I am still a little ticked that Samsung held back on the GN and gave it a GPU from nearly two years ago and a so-so camera. The first Nexus by HTC might have lacked internal memory, had a design flaw with the power button, and had a crap touchscreen for multi-touch, but at least the build quality was stronger and it had an expandable memory slot. I feel Samsung doesn't want the GN to surpass their best offerings completely and keeping some of the best stuff themselves.

Hopefully Motorola will go all-out for the next Nexus. Then it will be much closer to being a Google-owned phone. To me, the three most interesting phones this year is the Lumia 800, Galaxy Note, and Galaxy Nexus. I think the N9/Lumia 800 is the best looking, and the other two offers something unique for Android before the year ends with a stylus or ICS. The 4s is interesting if you just happen to love iOS/Apple or never had the 4 before. I really do love to hear that Google improved the stock Android keyboard which eliminates third party apps. The stock kb on Gingerbread was so unreliable and this is huge for people who text alot. And I like the many settings on the camera app which eliminates other apps to get that certain function. We will soon have less apps because the stock ones become more versatile or linked with other apps like WP's hubs. Eliminate app clutter.

10. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

men

for all the droid trolls here, have fun with your plastic thingy (big enough to be a tablet) phone

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The new ICS browser is the one upgrade that I'm looking forward to the most. The stock browser on Gingerbread flat out sucks.

----------

I can't imagine the next iOS being a major overhaul. Apple's entire mantra is to provide small incremental upgrades to their OS to maintain simplicity; essentially, to resist large changes so as to not confuse users. It'll be interesting to see what they come up though, especially hardware wise.

12. kalex macrumors 65816

and your point is? we are talking about smartphone features not its camera abilities which i kind of find lacking compared to dedicated cameras out there.

----------

ar ar ar

13. pacmacman macrumors member

Sure, here comes the one OS to rule them all. Fantasy land on your part. Manufacturers like HTC and Samsung will never stop using their own heavy overlays. They will continue to skin the ***** out of Android handsets because otherwise they have nothing to differentiate their phones from others. They're not going to become hardware "dumbpipes" for Android. This is part of the problem Windows is having, they have rigid controls over what manufacturers can do with the OS, thus manufacturers have been somewhat cold towards the platform.

But hey, this is a nice change of pace. Google used to insist there was no fragmentation. ;)

There have been how many millions of 4s's sold, and you think your trip to an Apple store is reflective of an overall demographic?

Oh, hey, just incidentally....ya think that maybe being in a store at 11am on a weekday might just yield...oh...I dunno...folks that don't have to work, i.e. older people and soccer moms?

14. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Yea, it is weird that they used the older GPU. I'm thinking it had something to do with power consumption...maybe the Exynos ate up the battery too fast. Wouldn't want a batterygate or anything...:p

Despite the older GPU, people are still calling it the best Android phone ever...the guy from the Verge (Josh) even said that the Nexus was the only phone to match or surpass the iPhone in terms of UI smoothness and user experience. Considering that ICS was built for the Nexus, it might not be as clean and/or smooth on the SGS2.

And really...it's the tech world....everything gets really old really fast. Just gotta ask if this phone will be good in 2/3 years. So far, all signs indicate "yes".

15. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-gb; Nexus S Build/ITL41D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I'm currently playing around with one of the first ROMs released for the Nexus S based one the ICS source code and I've got to say it's very nice.

I can only imagine how well it would run on the Galaxy Nexus. As the GN will be the next big development platform for Android over the next 12 months it should offer the best Android experience for ICS easily.

The official build for the Nexus S can't come soon enough tho. I wan't a perfect ROM for it. :D

16. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

iPhone Product Line
    [​IMG]

Samsung Product Line
    [​IMG]

source

iPhone target market is the average consumer or the mass population. I can see how seniors, Moms etc are attracted to simplicity of choice and experience.

Samsung offer tons of phone to cover a wide range of markets. Leave lots of room for techno savy people to compare specs and what not because they like to tweak, twinker and fiddle. It just fun like that.

In the end, its win-win for both because there is a market for both. The only losers are the dumb phones being replaced by smartphone.

17. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

Yeah I've toyed around with that same build you're talking about and it's quite nice. So much so that I ordered a Galaxy Nexus from the UK that should be here next week.