Galaxy Note 8... Better than iPhone Pro/8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Costs less
More supplies
Better and bigger screen
Amazing back dual camera
Finger print sensor
Headphone jack
Memory expansion

everyday the new iPhone seems less exciting. Only advantage at this point will be iOS 11 and speed and a few gimmicks.

Reactions: Beenblacklisted

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68020
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Costs less
More supplies
Better and bigger screen
Amazing back dual camera
Finger print sensor
Headphone jack
Memory expansion

everyday the new iPhone seems less exciting. Only advantage at this point will be iOS 11 and speed and a few gimmicks.
You're in an Apple forum. You're going to get mauled here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swisspo

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
Neither device is out yet! The iPhone will have IOS where as the Note 8 will have TouchWiz and Andriod so no personally I don't think the Note 8 will be better at all.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2015
Costs less
More supplies
Better and bigger screen
Amazing back dual camera
Finger print sensor
Headphone jack
Memory expansion

Just staying as far as we know Apple is not making an iPhone 8 Plus because no leaks and what would be th size anyways.

Yesterday I purchased the Galaxy S8+ for 3 Reasons. And gave up on the Note 8 here's why.

#1. Price Note 8 like IPhone 8 will be $1,000 Premium device and or $45.00 a month on carriers. My S8+ is just $19.80 a month for 12 Months then I can get the S9+.
#2. Size Note 8 is 6.3" OLED Display the S8+ is 6.2" OLED Display
#3. Battery the S8+ has a 3,500mah battery the Note 8 has a 3,300 mah battery they used a smaller battery to make space for the Stylus.

Lastly the US version of the S8+ uses a Qualcomm 835 SoC with Gigabit LTE radio modem combo. No one makes better Radio Modem CPU combo than Qualcomm.
Depending on Carrier the Note 8 might get Stuck with a Samsung made Exynos 8895 SoC and it's just not as good as a Qualcomm. It's like having and Intel CPU or an AMD CPU in a PC.

The Advancements of the S8+ really leaves everything in the dust. It's like having Apples version of the 2018 iPhone 8s Plus today.

Bluetooth 5.0
aptX HD
USB-C
DisplayPort out via USB-C
Fast Charging and Wirless charging
Gigabit LTE
6.2" OLED Display not 5.7" As the Ladylike the IPhone 8 has.
3.5 Audio jack

IMO what will possibly give IPhone 8 an advantage is if the give it 120hz ProMotion display like the iPad Pro has.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Just staying as far as we know Apple is not making an iPhone 8 Plus because no leaks and what would be th size anyways.

Yesterday I purchased the Galaxy S8+ for 3 Reasons. And gave up on the Note 8 here's why.

#1. Price Note 8 like IPhone 8 will be $1,000 Premium device and or $45.00 a month on carriers. My S8+ is just $19.80 a month for 12 Months then I can get the S9+.
#2. Size Note 8 is 6.3" OLED Display the S8+ is 6.2" OLED Display
#3. Battery the S8+ has a 3,500mah battery the Note 8 has a 3,300 mah battery they used a smaller battery to make space for the Stylus.

Lastly the US version of the S8+ uses a Qualcomm 835 SoC with Gigabit LTE radio modem combo. No one makes better Radio Modem CPU combo than Qualcomm.
Depending on Carrier the Note 8 might get Stuck with a Samsung made Exynos 8895 SoC and it's just not as good as a Qualcomm. It's like having and Intel CPU or an AMD CPU in a PC.

The Advancements of the S8+ really leaves everything in the dust. It's like having Apples version of the 2018 iPhone 8s Plus today.

Bluetooth 5.0
aptX HD
USB-C
DisplayPort out via USB-C
Fast Charging and Wirless charging
Gigabit LTE
6.2" OLED Display not 5.7" As the Ladylike the IPhone 8 has.
3.5 Audio jack

IMO what will possibly give IPhone 8 an advantage is if the give it 120hz ProMotion display like the iPad Pro has.
S8 series really are very appealing phones. I haven't used android for years and I don't know if I could get used to it anymore. iOS just works and has great optimization.

However, considering the rumored price level and the possible omission of Touch ID, I might have to give Samsung a really hard look if those rumors turn out to be true.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It's hard to judge the merits of either phone when neither has been released but it's likely both companies will release compelling products. I'm very concerned to see how Apple handles the rumored loss of touch ID. Will Iris scanning serve as a viable replacement and function? Will Samsung still place their fingerprint scanner awkwardly next to the camera on the Note 8? At least they'll *have* a fingerprint scanner which is a more trusted and established technology. Then again, if it's bigger than my iPhone 6s Plus I just can't imagine carrying one.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
It's hard to judge the merits of either phone when neither has been released but it's likely both companies will release compelling products. I'm very concerned to see how Apple handles the rumored loss of touch ID. Will Iris scanning serve as a viable replacement and function? Will Samsung still place their fingerprint scanner awkwardly next to the camera on the Note 8? At least they'll *have* a fingerprint scanner which is a more trusted and established technology. Then again, if it's bigger than my iPhone 6s Plus I just can't imagine carrying one.
My husband's complaint about the Android versions of many of his favorite financial services and some of his banking apps for his S8+ is that they don't allow for the use of the fps. As fabulous as his S8+ is for so many things, that's one of the drawbacks beyond Samsung's control.

For me, the Android version of the Kindle app is superior to the iOS version because it permits in-app purchasing of books and media.

So people can go back and forth all day as to which one is better. It comes down to your personal use case and preferences and sometimes you just have to test drive before you can decide.

Android Nougat has been very stable and reliable for me but Samsung's build of it can sometimes introduce lag and stutters. On iOS 10.3.3 I don't notice any lag or stutters but I do see a lot of app freezes and crashes. Even after several months using iPhone 7 Plus and the S7 and now S8+ neither my husband nor I can say one is absolutely better than the other. We both still prefer iPhone at the present time but a month ago we were more enthusiastic about our Samsungs. We definitely can't project what we would prefer between the Note 8 and IPhone 8 until they're debuted and reviewed.

My interest in the iPhone 8 is greater because the rumors have it seem like a greater departure from what has come before in iPhones. The Note 8 looks to be another incremental improvement over what we are already familiar with.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
Costs less
More supplies
Better and bigger screen
Amazing back dual camera
Finger print sensor
Headphone jack
Memory expansion

How are we supposed to compare two products that no one has actually even seen yet?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Dumb thread, neither phone is even out yet. None of what you listed look like real advantages to me either. At the end of the day, it comes down to a few things which people will likely hold unto (and it has nothing to do with hardware). OS preference, privacy (yes or no), ecosystem, and support.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Get and experience both then keep the one that fits you better and return the other. They're for different markets with the Note 8 more for creators and professionals and is closer to a PC replacement while the iPhone 8 is designed to be easy like a blown up iPod but more limited.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
There are just some people who enjoy starting a bar fight and then slipping off to the side to drink a beer and watch
Cheers mate, your work here is done
Till your next thread...

Reactions: MRU

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
If you only plan to have a phone for a year before replacing it, the Note 8 would be fine. Then again, a much cheaper Xiaomi will have most of the spec and run the same apps, so I don't see the point of wasting money on Samsung flagship if I want Android.

Racineur

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I know I shouldn't answer but Dave245 summed it all and I add: whatever S or Note you throw on the market be it 300$ cheaper than an iPhone, it's stil Android and TouchWiz. Not for me.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
For those that love iOS and dare not leave the Apple ecosystem, it's going to take something revolutionary for most of them to ditch the iPhone. For those that have ample experience with flagship Android phones, iOS always eventually seems too stale.

For myself who has always had the latest iPhone and a flagship Android device, the Note 8 is more bang for the buck to me. But I'm going to end up getting both the Note 8 and the iPhone 8(premium version).

Both Apple and Samsung have been the most influential in the smartphone market, and I hope the competition stays fierce.

IMO ... it's better to argue specific feature vs feature. This year Samsung will most likely take the camera crown again.

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
buy whatever you want .... it is why there is a choice. There are no definitives here as it all boils down to subjective preferences and values. Buy whatever you think is better for you, simple.

Why some folks feel the need to evangelicalise everything and attempt to 'convert' others is the same nonsense ... Technology & branding loyalty is just the modern 'god/religion' ...

Status
Not open for further replies.