Galaxy s4 running very slow and very hot need help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by purplekush604, Nov 4, 2013.

1. purplekush604 macrumors member

Hey guys
    I ran a few updates on my phone and now all the sudden it's extremely hot, left it on standby and charged but when I grabbed it, it was sooooo hot it actually kind of worried me. Anyways phone is extremely laggy now as well. Please help ASAP! I read somewhere my micro SD card might be causing the issue.
    Thanks

2. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Just buy an iPhone

3. viskon macrumors 6502

Did you try rebooting it?

4. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Or an iFruit 9XLS. ;)

5. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Do you have your data backed up? If so....factory reset might be a great thing to try. But if it is still over heating you might want to try to return it for a replacement. Sometimes hardware just wears out.....

6. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Somehow, I wouldn't consider this a very helpful post for the OP.

Cycle it down and let it cool off. Restart phone and let it sit and see if it gets hot again. If it does, you likely have a rouge app that is spinning up the cpu 100%. There are apps you can download that will tell you which app is the bad one, so you can delete it. Or play it safe and delete any app you have downloaded in the last couple of days and then recheck the phone.
    If the phone stays cool, reinstall apps you deleted one by one and recheck.

Or, you may have a faulty charger. Lots of problem areas to check first.

7. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I have to agree with the guy above me, just try to see if a reboot helps.

8. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the great replies guys!
    I have rebooted many times, without any luck. What is the name of the app that will tell me if I have a rogue app?
    It gets hot without even having it plugged in, and it was sitting idle all night and this morning it was really hot. I haven't backed anything up yet, I have titanium backup, is that my best bet?

9. viskon macrumors 6502

Try opening up the Task Manager widget and check if any apps are running while idle. Might give you some clues. You can also backup with Kies and then do a factory reset.

Edit: The Task manager widget is called the Active Apps Manager in the widget list.

10. lazard macrumors 65816

11. sc4rf4c3 macrumors regular

Looks like your phone is rooted since you're using Titanium backup. Did you install any rom or custom kernel?

12. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again guys. I tried the widget, its essentially the same thing as me holding down the button, and clearing the apps. Thanks for the widget though, never knew it existed.

And i do have titanium backup, and my phone is IS rooted, no custom roms or kernals.

I did a backup of the phone, and not sure what it did, but my phone isnt running hot anymore, i backed it up on kies, although my apps wouldnt backup, anyone have any idea why?

13. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

And join the 100's of posts of people complaining about the phone not lasting a full day, apps crashing, lag, maps not working, bluetooth not pairing, nausea from OS...

But it's ok, they're only on their second iPhone and 4th visit to the "genius" bar.

Sorry, I couldn't help but respond with a useless post of my own.:eek:

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Kids doesn't backup apps I thought.

15. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

mine did this earlier when i was trying to bluetooth pics and email a ton of them. As said before, its most likely a rogue app thats pushing the CPU.

16. mib1800 macrumors 68000

Get BetterBatteryStats from XDA and check which apps give high partial wakelock (i.e. running in background when screen is off).

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Sounds like a hardware fault somewhere down the line. Can you not take it back to the store and get them to do a straight swap if it is under 12 months old?

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It sounds like your phone has a bad hardware error. The lag is likely the result of the cpu dropping down speed to reduce thermal pressure from all the heat. You need to get that back to Samsung or your carrier ASAP.

19. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

It could be the sd card, have you tried with it out? I have a note 2 and while its 99% great I too have had issues with it when the sd card is in. Fine for me now I dont use one (kinda defeats the purpose of the sd slot tho)

20. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

You forgot the loose home buttons.

21. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

I read this somewhere else as well. I never did anything with my sd card, i left it in there. Its fine now, but i think the lag is from most of my apps and other things going onto the phone. I have 64gb micro sd card, so how do i make everything go on my memory card?

Thanks

22. mib1800 macrumors 68000

Did you check which app is causing high cpu usage?

23. iHateLaggyStuff macrumors member

I work for a phone company and I've seen countless S4 that get very hot when I am activating them for customers. Apparently turning the phone on and going through the setting up processes are very taxing for the processor. :rolleyes:

24. nick_elt, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

you can't put apps on it if it is not rooted and some special software downloaded. Apps otherwise have to stay on the internal memory. Only pics, vids etc can go on the sd card.

Edit. Apparently new samsungs this is not the case anymore.

25. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Battery pull while the phone is switched on.

Tends to resolve some unusual problems. If not, full reset. If it persists, take it to a Samsung service centre or your carrier.