Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
This is a very impressive update. Here are the rest of the updated featues:

-New Camera firmware
-Smearing issue has been fixed (Purple effect while scrolling)
-Smart Pause Toggle
-Move Apps to SD Card
-HDR Video (Can record HDR video)
-Semi-transparent status bar
-New Icons in Settings
-Secure boot status (About Phone)
-Increase legibility (Display) (New feature)

Update size is 365MB, also frees up about 800MB.

This phone just keeps getting better and better. I think the transparent status bar should be standard on all devices. it just looks so much cleaner. What could they be improving on the camera? It's already amazing.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

This phone just keeps getting better and better. I think the transparent status bar should be standard on all devices. it just looks so much cleaner. What could they be improving on the camera? It's already amazing.

I think the transparent status bar will be more common going forward. Both the one & S4 has them. Glad they fixed it so you can add your own wallpaper and it remains clear though :)

Does stock Android have clear status bar? I'm still toying with getting the Google edition down the road.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I thought the inability to store apps on a micro SD card was a result of 4.2 rather than a Samsung issue. How are they getting around this?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Say what you want about Samsung, but lately they seem to really be listening to consumers and taking action in a timely matter.

The transparent status bar whether semi or not is something I'll be most looking forward to as I don't want to use a launcher and haven't rooted.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Samsung is going at Apple hard, and doing a great job. I'd sure like to see Apple catch up. It seems like I've been waiting years for Apple to do something as simple as give it a spacious display.

My S4 is simply stellar.

Since I also really like Apple & have bought every iPhone to date, I would enjoy replacing my iPhone 5 if Apple equips the next iPhone with a 4.7 to 5.0" display.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Google pushed devices to ditch hardware keys and use onscreen keys and people complained and hoped Samsung kept the same layout as the s2 and s3 and they did.we get a huge screen without losing real estate to onscreen keys.

Thank you Samsung! Google also pushed cloud space and pushed everyone to ditch SD cards and made pure android lock out apps to SD and people with the gs3 wanted to keep the SD card and Samsung listened and people wanted pure android and we got the Google edition and now we also get apps to SD card witch is totally against what Google wants.

That my friends is why Samsung is where it is in the android eco system.they give the best hardware and listen to what the people want

Now if they give us a carbon fiber body on the gs5 to shut up all the haters that have nothing else bad to say about the gs4 and bring up its plastic body. Anyone want to guess what the gs5 is going to be made of? Samsung has listened to everyone so far and the last thing they could improve on is the material they use

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Google pushed devices to ditch hardware keys and use onscreen keys and people complained and hoped Samsung kept the same layout as the s2 and s3 and they did.we get a huge screen without losing real estate to onscreen keys.

Thank you Samsung! Google also pushed cloud space and pushed everyone to ditch SD cards and made pure android lock out apps to SD and people with the gs3 wanted to keep the SD card and Samsung listened and people wanted pure android and we got the Google edition and now we also get apps to SD card witch is totally against what Google wants.

That my friends is why Samsung is where it is in the android eco system.they give the best hardware and listen to what the people want

Now if they give us a carbon fiber body on the gs5 to shut up all the haters that have nothing else bad to say about the gs4 and bring up its plastic body. Anyone want to guess what the gs5 is going to be made of? Samsung has listened to everyone so far and the last thing they could improve on is the material they use

People will complain about the material used no matter what. It could be Titanium and someone would cry about scratching.

Unfortunate fact of life on the Internet.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
The bad thing only for qualcom why no love for i9500 i have the i9500 and this it's very frustrated

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
This is a very impressive update. Here are the rest of the updated featues:

-New Camera firmware
-Smearing issue has been fixed (Purple effect while scrolling)
-Smart Pause Toggle
-Move Apps to SD Card
-HDR Video (Can record HDR video)
-Semi-transparent status bar
-New Icons in Settings
-Secure boot status (About Phone)
-Increase legibility (Display) (New feature)

Update size is 365MB, also frees up about 800MB.

Well done Samsung. let's see how long it takes to come to the US :(

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I think the on screen keys are better so its subjective.

Well let me elaborate, I think on screen keys are better IF there is virtually no bezel at the bottom. Then you get more screen for size. I like them because they can rotate and move completely off screen for movies and video in thinks like mxplayer and YouTube. Then if rooted you can get that all the time.

Now if the bezel at the bottom is still there then yes I feel its a waste of space on the screen.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
G

But...but....HTC has a metal body on their phones, therefore it's better :rolleyes:

[/HTCfanboys]

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This just keeps getting better...Samsung is taking more control of their products. They seem to be pushing more updates out as they are needed. This is great for anyone that has an Samsung phone. Now if they could do this for Android updates too....well somebody pinch me i'm dreaming....

Jmill79

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
So any guesses as for how long till this actually rolls out in the US, specifically Verizon?

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Awesome update... BUT... it does not address the many devices that have issues with constant umounting/remounting of SD card.

And what about the many devices that aren't able to keep their car Bluetooth conection alive?

MACis122

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Awesome update... BUT... it does not address the many devices that have issues with constant umounting/remounting of SD card.

And what about the many devices that aren't able to keep their car Bluetooth conection alive?

I believe this issue is with the cards them self not samsung

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I've had my sandisk ultra 64gb in my gs3 and moved it to my gs4 and it has not once unmounted it self or gave me an issue.to be honest this is the first time I have even heard about it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.